11/28 CFP Rankings Thread 7pm ET ESPN

it's not the best.. because if they stuck to this and with the committe leader saying head to head/familiar opponents aren't a criteria in choosing their opinions of the 4 best teams.

it was cool to lose early, but a sin to lose late.. now it's a loss in the beginning is a sin and a loss late, isn't too bad.

why on earth would schools play good programs in the OOC slate? Might as well play some G5 schools and a FCS school and just concentrate on your in conference schedule
There is NO incentive for the blue bloods or even the brand recognition teams to play good OOC games.
12 team playoffs is too many.

people say that but the thing is.. there's so much parity now.. u can't tell me that there is a clear juggernaut this season.. I think UGA, UM, UW are flawed.. Oregon/UT/Bama already been bit because of their flaws.. then you have FSU who had a terrific QB that got hurt and is done... this season is just the start of more seasons with multiple title challengers

This season is probably the only season in the 10 years of the CFP where there has been this much doubt. It's just a outlier as of now, not even close to a trend.

So maybe we get 1 or 2 seasons a decade of "parity" in a 12 team playoff.

There is NO incentive for the blue bloods or even the brand recognition teams to play good OOC games.
12 team playoffs is too many.
with 12.. it makes more sense to put on a good OOC opponent.. if we continued the 4 team version, there really is no incentive.

This season is probably the only season in the 10 years of the CFP where there has been this much doubt. It's just a outlier as of now, not even close to a trend.

So maybe we get 1 or 2 seasons a decade of "parity" in a 12 team playoff.
it's going to be a trend because of the portal.. uw got it's QB from Indiana, UT got it's QB and their WR from the portal.. Oregon got it's QB from the portal too..

I bet tosu WISHES it got a QB in the portal of they could be sitting at #2 right now lol

with 12.. it makes more sense to put on a good OOC opponent.. if we continued the 4 team version, there really is no incentive.
This makes no sense.
With a four team, you have to distinguish yourself amongst the one-losses. Risking a second loss is worth it to get a good win.

With a 12, any potential second loss isn’t worth the risk because all one-loss teams from major brands/conf will get in.

This makes no sense.
With a four team, you have to distinguish yourself amongst the one-losses. Risking a second loss is worth it to get a good win.

With a 12, any potential second loss isn’t worth the risk because all one-loss teams from major brands/conf will get in.

Hell even with 2 losses your big brand teams probably make it in a lot of years. There's absolutely zero point in risking a unnecessary OOC loss for those types of teams.

Hell even with 2 losses your big brand teams probably make it in a lot of years. There's absolutely zero point in risking an unnecessary OOC loss for those types of teams.
Yup

At this point Alabama is just another team competing for their spot.

Who is the Alabama win helping them jump over, besides Alabama?

Pondering Which One GIF by Moncho

There is a couple teams ranked higher than LSU that if they were matched up I would put my money on LSU to win outright....simply because I think they are the better team at this point in the season. The opening loss to Fla. St and then the heart breaker at Ole Miss. sealed our faith though.

BTW, for those keeping score...LSU loss 3 games this year, on the road, to 3 ranked teams.

If only we had a freaking defense! :gaah:

There is a couple teams ranked higher than LSU that if they were matched up I would put my money on LSU to win outright....simply because I think they are the better team at this point in the season. The opening loss to Fla. St and then the heart breaker at Ole Miss. sealed our faith though.

BTW, for those keeping score...LSU loss 3 games this year, on the road, to 3 ranked teams.

If only we had a freaking defense! :gaah:
for all the arguments about Oregon not having many ranked wins Utah is in the same ship as LSU without being ranked.
4 losses to ranked teams 3 of 4 on the road
but somehow Utah is a worse team and unranked compared to 8-4 Tennessee who lost to a team Utah beat. 8-4 Clemson who lost to unranked Miami and Duke
Kansas State who lost to Iowa State in their final game while Utah won theirs.

for all the arguments about Oregon not having many ranked wins Utah is in the same ship as LSU without being ranked.
4 losses to ranked teams 3 of 4 on the road
but somehow Utah is a worse team and unranked compared to 8-4 Tennessee who lost to a team Utah beat. 8-4 Clemson who lost to unranked Miami and Duke
Kansas State who lost to Iowa State in their final game while Utah won theirs.

Tennessee was not competitive in any of their losses, one of those being a 2 score loss to a bad Florida team and their best win is against a 7-5 Kentucky team.

Ranking them basically based solely on "who they lost to!" here at this point.

I know some will say it's pointless to argue teams ranked like 20-25, but it really does matter if the committee is evaluating based on "quality wins" because that gives both Bama and UGA a sneaky extra one if it comes down to it.

Imagine when they have to vote on potentially 12 different teams to enter the playoffs....with consideration giving to a G5 school to fill 1 of those 12 spots!

The smell test, the eye test the who they beat and who they lost to...when they were playing away and when they were playing home...

The variables to be considered will be overwhelming.

It will come down to what it usually does...a popularity contests with attendance to the game and viewership for the televised game definitely coming into consideration.

Fuck Tennessee may end up cracking the top 20 if they decide to drop Iowa and Okie State far enough if they lose Saturday :pound:

for the TT common opponent argument: beyond the injuries and the locations and day and night games there was also the Shough factor. Playing against his old team (different coaches) that benched him after he helped Oregon win a Pac 12 championship

for the TT common opponent argument: beyond the injuries and the locations and day and night games there was also the Shough factor. Playing against his old team (different coaches) that benched him after he helped Oregon win a Pac 12 championship

It was also the 2nd game of the season. Anyone who thinks Oregon doesn't bludgeon TT if they played in game 12 instead of game 2 is delusional

It was also the 2nd game of the season. Anyone who thinks Oregon doesn't bludgeon TT if they played in game 12 instead of game 2 is delusional
I think something would be one way, therefore it is that way, therefore I’ll form conclusions off of that “reality.”

Cool argument, bro.

I think with 12 especially you are just delaying the inevitable. The final 4 most years is likely going to be the same final 4 you woulda gotten with a 4 team playoff. Hell there isn't many years where you even have 4 fully "championship caliber teams" when the dust is all settled. The 12 team decision is 100% a revenue decision and not a pure "lets let them play it out on the field" type thing.
I'm on the other end. I think we'll have a lot of upsets in the 12 team playoff. The committee's seedings (aka chalk) haven't gone well in the past is why I think so. Very few #1s have won it. Hell, the first year the #4 won it.

bro they (tech) literally were coming off a loss to wyoming the week before