Nebraska Cornhuskers 2021-22 Nebrasketball

Wilhelm done for the season.

Yea, not sure how he isn't in the hot seat this year. It just looks so bad, what are we expecting to be better next year? Team just seems to quit when they hit adversity.

I just want them to hire a coach with a system. Runs an offense, plays really good D. Builds it up where we aren't relying on transfers, maybe they get one to fill a role, but not a whole team.

Man, that last game took the cake for me... will Husker athletics ever be able to overcome whatever curse we have imposed on ourselves? Yeesh... up 5 with 37 seconds left in the game and you end up letting them tie the game, have your final shot blocked and get outscored 15-7 in OT. Just brutal.

ha, yea, it was brutal. i couldn't believe Mayen getting the ball there at the end of regulation. He took an ill-advised 3 maybe 30 seconds before that as well and missed horribly. I was literally yelling at the screen for him to pass it to Webster or McGowens. why we letting a guy that's shot a whopping 12 FTs on the year get the ball in a clear fouling situation? Then the last play of the game, really, Webster on a drive? Would have rather seen McGowens do something. i just don't get why McGowens never tries and take over the way OSU's Freshmen Branham did.

Husker women’s basketball just beat #8 Michigan 79-58

yea, saw that. watched some. nice to see a team actually hit open shots and control a game. a lot calling them posers after the MSU road loss last week. but they played more like they did in the first 12 wins in this one.

GAWD... Fred Hoiberg is a freaking thief... what a pathetic excuse of a team.

ugh, i watched some, did decent in first half. my wife wanted to watch a show together, so i didn't watch much of the 2nd half.

Everyone talks about Hoiberg being a great mind for basketball, but saw a comment somewhere that he isn't the one recruiting players/maybe looking too much at stars instead of what would actually help the team. they need more defensive presence/rebounding. the stat line looks pretty equal between the two teams, i'll take the 50% they shot from 3 last night, only 12 shots though, that has to be a new low for them, not that i think it's a bad thing, but seemed like in the first half they weren't getting many calls on drives and then verge or mcgowens would take a crappy shot or turn it over. another poor rebounding night, 15 o boards for Ill.

so is Fred out at end of year? assuming no sudden turnaround, which isn't really expected given they haven't shown any signs of it. but maybe Trey McGowens coming back will light something, as he was expected to be the leader/defensive piece that maybe has been missing?

heard the buyout was pretty high, the unneeded extension by Moos after the 2020 season. could see Alberts maybe trying to do something similar to what he got out of Frost by going one more year? Hoiberg is supposed to be a good basketball mind, maybe having seen it as shitty as it is this year, he'll go a different route this offseason and it will get better?

and i really don't understand how Coaching contracts can't have some sort of wins clause, something simple like, the team needs to stay above .500 by the 3rd year or you can be fired with cause? I mean just seems ridiculous to be owed a huge buy-out for what is the worse stretch of basketball in NU history and that's really saying something.

so is Fred out at end of year? assuming no sudden turnaround, which isn't really expected given they haven't shown any signs of it. but maybe Trey McGowens coming back will light something, as he was expected to be the leader/defensive piece that maybe has been missing?

heard the buyout was pretty high, the unneeded extension by Moos after the 2020 season. could see Alberts maybe trying to do something similar to what he got out of Frost by going one more year? Hoiberg is supposed to be a good basketball mind, maybe having seen it as shitty as it is this year, he'll go a different route this offseason and it will get better?

and i really don't understand how Coaching contracts can't have some sort of wins clause, something simple like, the team needs to stay above .500 by the 3rd year or you can be fired with cause? I mean just seems ridiculous to be owed a huge buy-out for what is the worse stretch of basketball in NU history and that's really saying something.
hard to see them firing him unless they do so with cause... 18.5 million in buyout is biting us in the butt. I think we did that because we assumed he would succeed and we didn't want an NBA team taking him away cheaply, but dang... that's the risk. I think he gets one more year to suck, and then we'll have a new coach in 2023.

that about sums it up:

I've over Hoiberg

I'm not there yet.
This is the most talent I've ever seen on a Nebrasketball court, but they are relatively young. Withing the first 5 minutes of the first game of the season, all 5 players on the court were in their first game in a Husker uniform.
To me there's a bunch of youngin's that hog the ball trying to make a name for themselves instead of playing like a team. Do you bench your best talent for being ball hogs as opposed to letting them learn on their own how to win games?

They also lack the big guy under the rim to throw his hips around.

I do question Sadler being on staff though.

I'm not there yet.
This is the most talent I've ever seen on a Nebrasketball court, but they are relatively young. Withing the first 5 minutes of the first game of the season, all 5 players on the court were in their first game in a Husker uniform.
To me there's a bunch of youngin's that hog the ball trying to make a name for themselves instead of playing like a team. Do you bench your best talent for being ball hogs as opposed to letting them learn on their own how to win games?

They also lack the big guy under the rim to throw his hips around.

I do question Sadler being on staff though.
Isn't Sadler supposed to be there to coach defense?
If so, he's doing it wrong.

yea, the defense is pitiful. i mean, maybe because they don't have a true big man to take over the middle, but just so weak all around. looking at game stats, the problem continues to be offensive rebounds, imo. Wiscy had 13 and we had 2. Wiscy took 68 shots and we only got up 55. Those extra shots are the whole difference in the game. We were shooting 40% from the field, wiscy was 37% so basically those, 13 more shots are 5 more makes, that's 10 points, the difference in the game.

Look at every other stat: Assists 10 to 12, Blocks 2 to 2, TOs 13 to 10 (an extra 3 here again leading to more shots by Wiscy), Steal 5 to 7, FT makes 14 to 13, 3 pt makes 7 to 10. Not that far off in any other category, we stop letting other teams get so many offensive boards and we probably have a better record this year.