2022 Season Thread

And I was no fan of the Chase format either, but even it was better than the playoffs. Stewart-Edwards in 2011 was more exciting than any season finale in the playoff era
Stewart/Edwards in 2011 was a phenomenal battle. Heck, I think it's what broke Edwards mentally. He wanted that so bad.

Stewart/Edwards in 2011 was a phenomenal battle. Heck, I think it's what broke Edwards mentally. He wanted that so bad.
The only drivers screwed more by the Chase/playoffs than Carl Edward were Jeff Gordon and Kevin Harvick. I didn’t remember until I just looked it up that Carl only won one race that year and none in the Chase. I remember Stewart was mediocre all season and barely made the chase at all and then just started dominating

Gibbs will run #54 next season, replacing the #18 at JGR. JGR says they intend to run the #18 again in the future. I would assume they will just drop #19 once Truex retires.

Preece officially replacing Custer in the #41, Custer staying with SHR and going back to Xfinity, where they will now field 2 cars for Custer and Herbst.

That pretty much answers any questions about vacant seats. Front Row usually announces their driver lineup at the beginning of the year, but unless someone with big pockets step up, McDowell and Gilliland should be back. And then there's the field fillers known as Rick Ware Racing, but we all know it will be the standard roulette wheel of drivers such as Ware, Yeley, Smithley, etc.

Last edited:
Sounds like ESPN is getting more into auto racing in the US. Bringing back Thursday Night Thunder and SRX is moving to ESPN next year

Thorsport is switching to Ford.

Toyota’s development program has taken a huge hit with KBM also switching to Chevy

Thorsport is switching to Ford.

Toyota’s development program has taken a huge hit with KBM also switching to Chevy
Ford couldn't afford to not put Deegan in a seat. She may not be Cup material, but I can see her having a decent Busch series career if she is given the right amount of time to grow.

Ford couldn't afford to not put Deegan in a seat. She may not be Cup material, but I can see her having a decent Busch series career if she is given the right amount of time to grow.
Young, pretty and has at least had some success on dirt. Danica didn’t set too high of a bar.

She needs to show something this year though. Thorsport, regardless of manufacturer, is a solid Truck team. If she can't show some results with them, she probably doesn't have it. She's still young, but should at least be showing some progress. She looked promising in late models but in Trucks so far, its been 15th to 20th basically every week. Could chalk it up to equipment maybe but can't really say that this coming season. I'm not saying she needs wins, but top 10s need to happen more often this season. That'd be a positive result. They'd also be wise to throw her in some Xfinity races just to see what happens. Some drivers just don't do well in Trucks period because of the handling differences.

Not a surprise at all, but Kevin Harvick has announced he’s retiring at the end of this season.

Been a fun 22 years of being a Harvick fan. Not sure who I’ll pull for next. I guess I’ll be a Noah Gragson fan until Chandler Smith makes the Cup Series

Not a surprise at all, but Kevin Harvick has announced he’s retiring at the end of this season.

Been a fun 22 years of being a Harvick fan. Not sure who I’ll pull for next. I guess I’ll be a Noah Gragson fan until Chandler Smith makes the Cup Series
Nope, not a surprise. He has a lot of other irons in the fire anyway, most importantly shepherding Keelan through his very young racing career.

I'm glad he made the announcement before the season, and I'm glad that means he'll get his due pomp and circumstance throughout the season from all the race tracks and fans and such. He's earned it. He came into Cup under some pretty crazy circumstances, and he made an impact almost immediately. He was super fun to watch, his racing style is intense and he does it the right way. I've said it before, NASCAR is better with him in the races, in the hunt, and competitive. A multi-season Champion, he's 100% a first ballot HOF guy.

I will be 100% rooting for him to win the Championship this year. Even if that's not attainable, I at least hope he wins a couple more races on his way out the door.

Nope, not a surprise. He has a lot of other irons in the fire anyway, most importantly shepherding Keelan through his very young racing career.

I'm glad he made the announcement before the season, and I'm glad that means he'll get his due pomp and circumstance throughout the season from all the race tracks and fans and such. He's earned it. He came into Cup under some pretty crazy circumstances, and he made an impact almost immediately. He was super fun to watch, his racing style is intense and he does it the right way. I've said it before, NASCAR is better with him in the races, in the hunt, and competitive. A multi-season Champion, he's 100% a first ballot HOF guy.

I will be 100% rooting for him to win the Championship this year. Even if that's not attainable, I at least hope he wins a couple more races on his way out the door.
When most Dale Sr fans went to Jr, I went to Harvick. Was at Atlanta for his first career win. Pretty cool to see a guy unexpectedly have to replace an all time great become an all time great in their own right, especially when you were with them from day one

When most Dale Sr fans went to Jr, I went to Harvick. Was at Atlanta for his first career win. Pretty cool to see a guy unexpectedly have to replace an all time great become an all time great in their own right, especially when you were with them from day one
Agreed. A large majority of other drivers would have crumbled under the pressure that was placed on Harvick. He rose to the occasion and then some. He's had a hell of a career.

Kyle Busch getting sponsors left and right at RCR. Think Toyota and and Gibbs were lying about not being able to get sponsors for him

Kyle Busch getting sponsors left and right at RCR. Think Toyota and and Gibbs were lying about not being able to get sponsors for him
Or...

Is it possible that Kyle wasn't doing anything to try and lure/work with potential sponsors while at JGR? It's a two way street with sponsors. They want to have a good relationship with the driver, and make sure the partnership is a good fit for the brand, things like that. If while at JGR Kyle was being a prick with potential sponsors because maybe deep down he knew he wanted to be done there...and then when he got with his new organization he put on his big boy pants and started actually being involved in the sponsor attracting process. Driver involvement (or lack of) in that whole process really matters.

I really believe that Kyle decided before 2022 that he wanted a change of scenery for 2023. The reason? Who knows. It doesn't seem like him and Denyy really have much love for each other, Chris Bell is clearly the shiny new toy, the equipment has been lagging a bit, etc etc. You can speculate for days on the reasoning, but I think Kyle was done. So he wasn't going to assist in any productive way with luring sponsors...and make no mistake, sponsors need to be lured; wined/dined, told they're pretty. Kyle is willing to do that at RCR.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe JGR is in fact lying about how that was all going. But my theory is equally plausible.

Or...

Is it possible that Kyle wasn't doing anything to try and lure/work with potential sponsors while at JGR? It's a two way street with sponsors. They want to have a good relationship with the driver, and make sure the partnership is a good fit for the brand, things like that. If while at JGR Kyle was being a prick with potential sponsors because maybe deep down he knew he wanted to be done there...and then when he got with his new organization he put on his big boy pants and started actually being involved in the sponsor attracting process. Driver involvement (or lack of) in that whole process really matters.

I really believe that Kyle decided before 2022 that he wanted a change of scenery for 2023. The reason? Who knows. It doesn't seem like him and Denyy really have much love for each other, Chris Bell is clearly the shiny new toy, the equipment has been lagging a bit, etc etc. You can speculate for days on the reasoning, but I think Kyle was done. So he wasn't going to assist in any productive way with luring sponsors...and make no mistake, sponsors need to be lured; wined/dined, told they're pretty. Kyle is willing to do that at RCR.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. Maybe JGR is in fact lying about how that was all going. But my theory is equally plausible.
Maybe you’re right, but I think it has more to do with Joe wanting his grandson in the seat and Kyle with the expiring contract was the obvious candidate to let walk even though Kyle was the most successful driver in JGR or Toyota history.

It’s gonna hurt Gibbs in the long run with KBM going to Chevy and Thorsport going to Ford

Been watching the 24 hours of Daytona today. I just needed some motor sports for a fix