2022 Season Thread

So what happened for Austin Hill to sucker punch another driver after the race.
Might be the best punch I've seen in Nascar.
Is it really a sucker punch when Myatt Snider was looking right at him when Hill threw the punch? From what I’ve read, Snider cut down on Hill and spun himself out and damaged Hill’s car too, and Snider blamed Hill, and wouldn’t leave the area after being told to leave multiple times. Sounds like his mouth wrote checks his ass couldn’t cash. Hill is pretty big for a driver

Chase would have had the championship pretty well locked up with a common sense season long championship format, now he’s probably gonna end up 4th since the first 35 races don’t matter at all. Don’t like the fucker, but he’s the 2022 champ as far as I’m concerned

Chase would have had the championship pretty well locked up with a common sense season long championship format, now he’s probably gonna end up 4th since the first 35 races don’t matter at all. Don’t like the fucker, but he’s the 2022 champ as far as I’m concerned
sounds like an unclutch pussy

This is going to take a choke by Logano for anyone else to win.

And the completely unrealistic streak of the Mickey Mouse champion winning the “championship” race every single year of the playoffs continues.

In baseball, once two teams make the World Series, do the 182 regular season games matter? In football, once the undefeated Patriots reach the Superbowl, do the [then] 16 regular season games - which they won all of them - matter? You see where I'm going...

The first 35 races matter because his performance in those races got him to the Championship 4 in Phoenix to have a shot at the title. Same as the other 3 drivers in the Championship 4. And the other 35 drivers had the same chances, with the same rules, in the same format.

"But racing / motorsports is different than stick & ball sports". Agreed, it is different. But NASCAR was never going to expand, grow, and progress into modern times with the same fans it had in the 80's and 90's. Sports fans today, whom NASCAR is trying to reach and bring into the sport, want a playoff structure. It produces more intrigue, more drama, more excitement. Fun fact - the drivers wanted a playoff format as well. So NASCAR evolved, started with the Chase, continued to tweak, and will continue to tweak more than likely. And it's producing some positive results. Viewership was up this year over last, track sellouts were up this year over last, and the racing has been mostly good. As I've said to you numerous times before, either evolve with the sport, or stop watching. Because NASCAR will literally NEVER return to a season-long points format. That is long done, and it'll never come back. You complaining every week about it is futile and akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum.

In baseball, once two teams make the World Series, do the 182 regular season games matter? In football, once the undefeated Patriots reach the Superbowl, do the [then] 16 regular season games - which they won all of them - matter? You see where I'm going...

The first 35 races matter because his performance in those races got him to the Championship 4 in Phoenix to have a shot at the title. Same as the other 3 drivers in the Championship 4. And the other 35 drivers had the same chances, with the same rules, in the same format.

"But racing / motorsports is different than stick & ball sports". Agreed, it is different. But NASCAR was never going to expand, grow, and progress into modern times with the same fans it had in the 80's and 90's. Sports fans today, whom NASCAR is trying to reach and bring into the sport, want a playoff structure. It produces more intrigue, more drama, more excitement. Fun fact - the drivers wanted a playoff format as well. So NASCAR evolved, started with the Chase, continued to tweak, and will continue to tweak more than likely. And it's producing some positive results. Viewership was up this year over last, track sellouts were up this year over last, and the racing has been mostly good. As I've said to you numerous times before, either evolve with the sport, or stop watching. Because NASCAR will literally NEVER return to a season-long points format. That is long done, and it'll never come back. You complaining every week about it is futile and akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum.
You compared stick and ball sports to motor sports again. It’s a non starter argument.

NASCAR wants the game 7 every year, but when the game 7 is manufactured it loses all meaning. 2019 would have been the greatest championship battle in the sport’s history had they just let it play out naturally.

F1’s popularity has exploded in recent years. NASCAR’s popularity peaked in 2007 despite the racing in NASCAR being objectively better. F1 uses a season long format as does every other racing series in the world.

It’s a joke, and capping the amount of lower division races a Cup driver can run and having the playoffs there too is dumb. Chase Elliott had a phenomenal season and it doesn’t even matter because he was robbed of a championship trophy because they insist on a stupid format.

And then you have the quirky stuff like MTJ missing the playoffs while Austin Dillon made them because he was in the right place at Daytona when 3/4 of the field was taken out in a crash.

I was reading up on Coy Gibbs. Dude was not a bad driver in the Truck Series(Kevin’s Harvick dumping him in the trucks is what got him suspended for a Cup race in 2002).

Held his own, never won, but a lot of top 5’s and 10’s back when the Truck Series was more was been Cup Series washouts than for developing young drivers.

You compared stick and ball sports to motor sports again. It’s a non starter argument.

NASCAR wants the game 7 every year, but when the game 7 is manufactured it loses all meaning. 2019 would have been the greatest championship battle in the sport’s history had they just let it play out naturally.

F1’s popularity has exploded in recent years. NASCAR’s popularity peaked in 2007 despite the racing in NASCAR being objectively better. F1 uses a season long format as does every other racing series in the world.

It’s a joke, and capping the amount of lower division races a Cup driver can run and having the playoffs there too is dumb. Chase Elliott had a phenomenal season and it doesn’t even matter because he was robbed of a championship trophy because they insist on a stupid format.

And then you have the quirky stuff like MTJ missing the playoffs while Austin Dillon made them because he was in the right place at Daytona when 3/4 of the field was taken out in a crash.
You may well be right about everything you're saying. Maybe racing series should be season long points formats. The merit / content of your argument isn't necessarily what I'm debating.

NASCAR isn't trying to entertain YOU, nor your demographic. They have you. You like auto racing, you grew up watching NASCAR, and you're probably going to watch, regardless of what they do with the car or format. You're in. NASCAR needs to cater to the needs of, and entertain, they age 18-35 demographic. They need THEM in...because once they get that age group in -- they're in, much like you. So, what does the 18-35 year old in 2022 want to see? They want a crescendo to the season. They want a playoff. They want a climax. They want all the drama, intrigue, and excitement that goes into THAT; much like they see in those stick & ball sports that we agree aren't really comparable.

Also, I'll further add that other sports have the same quirky "unfair" things that happen. How about in football, where a team may be in a ridiculously good Division, so they get into the Playoffs as a Wild Card even though they're say, 12-6 or even 13-5 (could happen in the NFC East this season). But this other team is 10-7 or 9-8 in a terrible Division, but this team wins the Division and gets a better seeding/path in the playoffs than that far superior Wild Card team. Fair? Yes..because it's the format and everyone knows the format.

You may well be right about everything you're saying. Maybe racing series should be season long points formats. The merit / content of your argument isn't necessarily what I'm debating.

NASCAR isn't trying to entertain YOU, nor your demographic. They have you. You like auto racing, you grew up watching NASCAR, and you're probably going to watch, regardless of what they do with the car or format. You're in. NASCAR needs to cater to the needs of, and entertain, they age 18-35 demographic. They need THEM in...because once they get that age group in -- they're in, much like you. So, what does the 18-35 year old in 2022 want to see? They want a crescendo to the season. They want a playoff. They want a climax. They want all the drama, intrigue, and excitement that goes into THAT; much like they see in those stick & ball sports that we agree aren't really comparable.
I’m in that age range. They seem to be catering to people like me some with the bringing back North Wilkesboro and turning Fontana into a short track, giving Darlington a second race again, and talks of being back the Nashville Fairgrounds and Rockingham.

The thing is, sometimes the Super Bowl is a blowout and sometimes the World Series is only gonna go 4 games. That’s what makes the OT Super Bowl and the game 7 WS nail biter so special. We were robbed in 2019. It’s gotta happen naturally to mean anything. You don’t see F1 going crazy with gimmicks

Also, I'll further add that other sports have the same quirky "unfair" things that happen. How about in football, where a team may be in a ridiculously good Division, so they get into the Playoffs as a Wild Card even though they're say, 12-6 or even 13-5 (could happen in the NFC East this season). But this other team is 10-7 or 9-8 in a terrible Division, but this team wins the Division and gets a better seeding/path in the playoffs than that far superior Wild Card team. Fair? Yes..because it's the format and everyone knows the format.
Yeah, there’s some unfair things that happen in stick and ball sports too, no doubt. Mariners used to miss the playoffs with 93 wins like every year, but the Cardinals won 83 games and won a WS. That doesn’t mean a guy barely inside the top 20 in points should have a shot at a championship because he got lucky at a plate track while a guy inside the top 5 is out because fuck your consistency

But would you say Austin Dillon had a better season than Tyler Reddick? Austin Dillon finished 11th in the standings while Reddick was 14th.

And FTR I think NASCAR has done a lot of good things in recent years. The schedule is better, they scrapped that stupid low horsepower, high downforce package, they stopped throwing phantom debris cautions, and the new car is gonna be awesome when they get some of the kinks ironed out(mainly safety and tires), but I will never recognize or support their stupid championship format

And I was no fan of the Chase format either, but even it was better than the playoffs. Stewart-Edwards in 2011 was more exciting than any season finale in the playoff era