2023 Rock and Roll HOF nominees

Passed that point about a decade ago for me.

Still, it's supposedly for a single genre of music, and it's clearly not anymore. Just go ahead and change the name. Oh that's right, any other name would SUCK
Meh… going with the broader definition of “rock and roll” doesn’t bother me so much. Good arguments could be made for Willy Nelson, Dolly Parton, Public Enemy, etc rocking every bit as hard as the next guy. Especially regarding the influence/legacy criteria, they all had plenty of influence on proper rock acts.

I think that complaint would be less relevant if so many deserving prototypical rock groups didn’t continue to be forgotten year to year. Pretty much everyone on beardown’s list hits all the criteria and should be first or second ballot no brainers.

Dude..."Dolly Parton" and "rocking" in the same sentence?? Lubs me some Dolly, but...I don't know how to finish that sentence

The fact that Depeche Mode got in was bad enough

Dude..."Dolly Parton" and "rocking" in the same sentence?? Lubs me some Dolly, but...I don't know how to finish that sentence

The fact that Depeche Mode got in was bad enough
We’ll just never see eye to eye on anything you wrote in this post.

So can Roy Clark, Glen Campbell and Jerry Reed. They ain’t going in

Roy Clark belongs. That man was brilliant.

I don't have any knowledge of Jerry Reed, but Glen Cambell's name should have never been brought up in this discussion.

I don't have any knowledge of Jerry Reed, but Glen Cambell's name should have never been brought up in this discussion.
Don’t sleep on Glen. That boy could pick a guitar with best of em. Jerry Reed could too.

As for Roy, as talented as he was, I don’t think a guy best known as a host of Hee Haw would ever make it in the rock HOF. Buck Owens would probably get in before Roy since you could make the argument that Buck was a pioneer of the Bakersfield Sound that did have some influence on the country rock acts of the late 60’s and early 70’s

Don’t sleep on Glen. That boy could pick a guitar with best of em. Jerry Reed could too.

As for Roy, as talented as he was, I don’t think a guy best known as a host of Hee Haw would ever make it in the rock HOF. Buck Owens would probably get in before Roy since you could make the argument that Buck was a pioneer of the Bakersfield Sound that did have some influence on the country rock acts of the late 60’s and early 70’s

He was a joker....but this shit wasn't done in the early 60's. Only a select few could do what he did before mechanical music and synthesizers. This was real guitar work.

He was a joker....but this shit wasn't done in the early 60's. Only a select few could do what he did before mechanical music and synthesizers. This was real guitar work.

Roy Clark ranks very high on my list of top guitar players(well many instruments really, if it had strings, he could play it at a high level), but nothing he ever did was rock.

Campbell was at least a highly sought after session musician in the early 60’s before going solo. Neither belongs in the Rock HOF since neither is rock, but I’d put in Campbell over Clark since he at least played on some rock records and is at least on par with Clark on the guitar.

That was the greatest version of Folsom Prison Blues I have ever heard

Anyway, of the nominees, I’d go with Joy Division, Maiden, Rage, Soundgarden, Willie

Since we know they will absolutely go with one of the pop acts, I’d go with Cyndi Lauper from that group.

If I’m predicting who it will be, probably something like Iron Maiden, either Missy Elliott or Sheryl Crow (maybe both), Warren Zevon, Willie, and maybe Soundgarden. I could see them passing up Soundgarden for the White Stripes or something too…

Don’t think they’ll ever put Rage in, can’t picture how their induction could possibly go.

That was the greatest version of Folsom Prison Blues I have ever heard

I was wondering if anyone made it that far. I laughed my butt off through most of that 40 minutes but that was a very funny version. I haven't listened to Roy Clark in years, but that was typical of what I remembered.

I liked him a lot and everyone thought that was odd considering my heavy leanings towards rock. I thought he could have been put in any rock band he wanted to play in and take over. But I think he liked being who he was. Everyone else said he was crap.

And as for Jerry Reed, he’s the reason that I was dead set on being a finger picker when I started learning guitar. I’ll never be near that good, and I have to use banjo picks on my thumb, bird and ring finger

I was wondering if anyone made it that far. I laughed my butt off through most of that 40 minutes but that was a very funny version. I haven't listened to Roy Clark in years, but that was typical of what I remembered.

I liked him a lot and everyone thought that was odd considering my heavy leanings towards rock. I thought he could have been put in any rock band he wanted to play in and take over. But I think he liked being who he was. Everyone else said he was crap.
I've seen some really great bluegrass players just absolutely shred a fretboard

And as for Jerry Reed, he’s the reason that I was dead set on being a finger picker when I started learning guitar. I’ll never be near that good, and I have to use banjo picks on my thumb, bird and ring finger

Is he the guy on the right. He looks familiar....like from smokey and the bandit type of movies?

Is he the guy on the right. He looks familiar....like from smokey and the bandit type of movies?
He Snowman in Smokey and the Bandit and the antagonist in the Waterboy. What hurts Roy and Jerry are they are seen more as entertainers than musicians, but both could play the fuck out of a guitar

I've seen some really great bluegrass players just absolutely shred a fretboard

I've been to the grand ole opera 3 times. They had some old bluegrass fella's up there just ripping strings off the guitar....them boys can play.