2023 season thread

Totally unnecessary caution

Anybody but Brad

I believe Logano had it if it went to the end.

Good for Stenhouse and that 47 team though.

But the gimmick that the 500 has turned into is over. The real season starts next week, but thanks to Logano, Almirola and Zane Smith, I had a very profitable weekend of racing.

Ned Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, Martin Truex Jr, etc have never won a Daytona 500.

David Pearson, Dale Sr and DW have one each in a ton of tries.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Austin Dillon, Michael McDowell, Trevor Bayne, Tiny Lund and Ward Burton have won it.

Michael Waltrip and Sterling Marlin have won multiple.

The Daytona 500 isn’t a good metric for greatness

Ned Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, Martin Truex Jr, etc have never won a Daytona 500.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Austin Dillon, Michael McDowell, Trevor Bayne, Tiny Lund and Ward Burton have won it.

correct. which is why the 600 is the true GOAT NASCAR race

This race is pretty dumb now.

I haven't watched a race in a while. Used to be some kind of flow to the race where the strongest cars asserted themselves. This shit is basically whoever doesn't get in a wreck and happens to draft to the front now. They can't separate at all. Stenhouse wasn't top 10 at any point all day. And I was gonna be super annoyed if somehow Busch won after being trash all day.

I haven't watched a race in a while. Used to be some kind of flow to the race where the strongest cars asserted themselves. This shit is basically whoever doesn't get in a wreck and happens to draft to the front now. They can't separate at all. Stenhouse wasn't top 10 at any point all day. And I was gonna be super annoyed if somehow Busch won after being trash all day.
Your memory is fuzzy. Drivers back then would routinely ride around the back all day and then make their move towards the front with around 50 to go like Kyle Busch did yesterday. If anything, it used to be easier to make your way through the field at Daytona since there were 3 racing lanes all being used. Hell, Dale Earnhardt came from 17th with just two laps to go to win his final career race at Talladega. The plate races were far better in the early 00’s, but the coming from the back to win late is not new unless you’re a boomer and referring to the pre restrictor plate era when it was common for the two dominant cars to nearly lap the field. Stretched out fields on 2.5 mile tracks sound miserable to watch IMO if you are referring to pre 1988 Daytona 500’s

If you want an idea of how spread out the field used to get at Daytona and Talladega before restrictor plates, the 1976 Daytona 500 saw David Pearson and Richard Petty crash going to the line. David Pearson was able to limp his torn up Mercury across the line for the win. Richard Petty’s crew had to push his car over the line and they were so far ahead of third place that Petty still came in second. The 10th place finisher in that 42 car field was 10 laps down.

Pearson and Petty were the only lead lap finishers on a 2.5 mile track

Great finish, but I’m sure that was one hell of a boring 499.5 miles leading up to it

Stenhouse finished 3rd in stage 2.

Stenhouse finished 3rd in stage 2.
And the stages are another thing. Before stages, there were no points to be had by being near the front all race other than the bonus points for leading a lap and leading the most laps. If anything, it was more common for drivers riding around the back all race to finish near the front back then than it is now.

FTR, I like the idea of stages, there’s just no need for a caution to end a stage. They’re doing away with the cautions for stage end at road courses this year, hopefully they’ll do the same at all tracks eventually