April 8 Total Solar Eclipse thread

I'll be working from home and probably running the smoker so I don't have to get out for any reason. Haven't heard that school is closing but we can walk there so not worried about traffic.

@Inquisitor I’m pulling the kids out of school and driving up to a ranch west of Austin

I hear that the drive might be around 10 hours from Houston. I’ll need to find back roads
It will be worse if all the others find them too.

Hope it's not like trying to evacuate in front of Harvey.

Solar Eclipse GIF by NASA

T-minus two weeks.

Being in East Texas, I'm right in the path of this one, so the wife and I will get a good look. it's supposed to hit around 1:30ish, so I'll either take the day off or take the 2nd half of the day off, so I can see it with my wife. We've already got eclipse glasses.

Considering some of the locals' penchant for panic buying, I've already made sure that the cars will be full of gas and we've got plenty of water and dry goods (as usual). Something tells me there will be plenty of car accidents and God only knows what else during the event.

Nope...done with it already. This is about as senseless as Halloween. Hotels have been booked up for months, all first responders are supposed to be on duty that day and the schools are closed. Yea! The world's biggest traffic jam!

Last edited:
One of THE COOLEST fucking things I noticed during the last major solar eclipse is that if you look at the ground where the shade of a tree is, every little area where the light is coming through is a projection of the eclipse.

Blew my tiny mind.

One of THE COOLEST fucking things I noticed during the last major solar eclipse is that if you look at the ground where the shade of a tree is, every little area where the light is coming through is a projection of the eclipse.

Blew my tiny mind.

That and a 360° sunset.