Bama fatique killing college football???

I appreciate the substantive response, even though I disagree. I am a data guy, as you saw in my post, and it appears you are, too. But we are both making a lot of assumptions. Neither of us really knows what will happen. I believe that there would be enough interest in the quarters that the numbers would be significantly higher than non-CFP NY6 games, and you don't. I am also not worried about the downstream bowls ... they are being made irrelevant by the current CFP, so I don't think that will be something that will come into the calculous.

Look at the quarter-finals in my example ... those are all teams that would draw eyeballs because (1) the fans of those teams and their conferences would watch more, and (2) a game that actually has meaning when the winner moves on is more interesting than just some bowl game that even the teams and their fans don't care about. Let's not forget that for the past many years, even fans of teams in those games really didn't care. Now they will and that is why the quarters will draw more like the semis.

As for the other bowl games, their value to ESPN is simply in their volume. They have so many, that they just need to make a little off each one and they are worth having. In an 8 team CFP the teams in those bowl games are not diluted as the ones likely to be in the NY6, as CFP games would be close to the same as those in the current setup. In the 12 team CFP, which is what I think will happen, the lower bowls would be hurt more as 4 teams that would be in the Outback, Citrus type bowls would not be available.

A couple other counterpoints:

- You seem to argue that adding 4 more teams won't increase eyeballs, or will be balanced out by lesser eyes in other bowls. That's kind of an odd zero sum game to me. You are acting like there is a set number of eyes, and that they can't expand. I contend that an expanded CFP will expand the interest in the playoff and therefore increase the number of eyes. See my final point below on this.

- You say there is a finite number of teams people want to see each year. I disagree. The fans of many teams, and fans in their conference would love to see more teams. Again, that's kind of an odd statement ... I get that we in SEC country are serious about our football - it does mean more - but there would a lot of interest in seeing other teams play.

- I thought I was pretty clear that any 8 team CFP would involve the NY6 bowls. And my home game schedule does not leave the NY6 out. My home game scenario is for a 12 team CFP and it has play-in round games at home fields, and then quarters in NY6 bowls. Every scenario I mentioned has the NY6 being as relevant as they possibly could. The only bowls that might be hurt by this are the 3 or 4 more minor games played on the 31st or the 1st (Citrus, Outback, etc.).

- You state: "Now factor in that your 2020 NY6/Playoff viewership was down 20 million from 2019, which was down 6 million from 2018. How much more am I willing to pay now when I don't know if that is going to continue." That's after you accused me of rigging numbers by using the Covide year. C'mon, we can't look at anything in 2020 to determine what will happen in the future.

- You state: "I am happy to entertain arguments, but if you throw a number out there that says you are just going to add 4 games and they are going to all get the same ratings as the semis and all the other bowls are just going to stay the same so you are going to just add 65 million viewers to the pot and a viewer is worth $7 to ESPN like that Buzzfan dummy then don't expect me to not say you are riding the short bus." You realize that your zero sum game concept seem just as absurd to me? The idea that an expanded CFP will not increase viewership overall just doesn't make sense to me.

Final point ... you are the only one arguing this strictly from a "what ESPN will pay" perspective. There are a number of other reasons why they need to do this, all of which will generate more revenue for everyone - it's not just about ESPN, the blinders you have on, IMO: (1) there is a groundswell of discontent with the idea that it's the same few teams over and over. Hell, that's what the OP was about. It's all over media, you are heating ADs, coaches, and conference chairs talking about it. (2) the current system is about as dumb as you could want (other than the 2 team BCS, and the pre-BCS MCN through polls) where you have 4 slots and 5 conferences and 1 well know independent. The idea that year in and year out certain conferences don't even have a shot to get in is just stupid. It doesn't matter that it means more in the SEC, or that the PAC are a bunch of commie pussies (I kid, I kid, kinda). 8 or 12 is just a better number, and expanding playoffs will keep a much larger number of teams in contention far longer into the season, and the CCGs will be more important. All that will increase total eyeballs and revenue. (3) 8 or 12 means you are going to have far better OOC games. This is already happening in a great way. The OOC schedules starting in the next couple of years are fantastic. This means the inventory of fantastic OOC games is going to increase many times over, which will also increase the popularity of the game and grow the total eyeballs. So, it's more than just what ESPN will pay, and what the smaller less significant bowls want, even though I acknowledge they are heavy players in all this.

Appreciate the substantive discussion ... we don't get that very often here any more.

Maybe you are right, maybe an 8 team playoff brings the wow factor and everyone and there dog watches, but I'm not buying it. Prior to 2014 when we added the playoffs the total number of viewers for the Championship game and the NY6 bowls for 2013,2012,2011 and 2010 were 99, 97,87 and 101 million, with 87 including the Alabama-LSU rematch. Turning two NY6 bowls into semi-finals has resulted in numbers that don't look substantially different, just more concentrated. Unless there are millions of casual fans that are going to watch now because PLAYOFFS, I'm not seeing it.

I focused on ESPN because there is an existing contract with two parties...one of those parties is ESPN and the other is the P5 conferences. Everyone else, fans, network talking heads, media pundits, coaches, players, they are all just noise. Neither of the two parties is in a position to dictate terms to the other and since money is going to drive this I feel the party with the money is the more important one.

I think an expanded playoffs is inevitable, I'm just not confident it happens in 2021 or 2022. Nor do I think it is going to fix the problems people think it is going to.

The CFL Draft is only Canadian players at Canadian Universities or Canadians playing at NCAA schools. If they are on multiple NFL draft boards they likely go undrafted because anybody that is going to get picked up by an NFL team is not going to sign with a CFL team. So guys that were eligible like Chase Claypool last year or Chuba Hubbard this year are not getting drafted. Probably half that are drafted aren't signed, but each team has to have 17 Canadian players on their roster, which is usually what they have. The rest are Americans signed as free agents. The league is full of late round NFL draft picks that couldn't make an NFL roster or couldn't stay on one. I can assure you it is grown man football and a high school kid wouldn't fare any better than he would in the XFL and way worse than the AAF.
Hence why I said if the CFL would allow kids to play there out of HS then the CFL would actually get exposure. The conversation isn’t about lineman, it is about HS skill positions which is where the field comes into play.

But I guess you could be right but there is no way to know, but my money is on a peak CFL team is a bottom tier AAF or XFL team.

Hence why I said if the CFL would allow kids to play there out of HS then the CFL would actually get exposure. The conversation isn’t about lineman, it is about HS skill positions which is where the field comes into play.

But I guess you could be right but there is no way to know, but my money is on a peak CFL team is a bottom tier AAF or XFL team.

I wouldn't bet much...let me know when the XFL has any Heisman Trophy winners or future NFL Hall of Famers playing in it. As for the AAF, lol, there were guys playing in it that got cut from Arena teams.

The same team winning over and over kills a sports popularity!

Bullshit! That's a myth.

Major League Baseball became the popular sport it did because of Yankees dynasties.

The NBA's rise in popularity came at the same time the Lakers and Celtics owned the 80s and grew even more as the Bulls dominated the 90s.

The Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers and Patriots becoming the powers they became only helped the NFL get more popular.

History has shown dynasties help a sport grow.

The same team winning over and over kills a sports popularity!

Bullshit! That's a myth.

Major League Baseball became the popular sport it did because of Yankees dynasties.

The NBA's rise in popularity came at the same time the Lakers and Celtics owned the 80s and grew even more as the Bulls dominated the 90s.

The Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers and Patriots becoming the powers they became only helped the NFL get more popular.

History has shown dynasties help a sport grow.
Dynasties sell in pro sports because pro sports have a FAR higher % of their teams make the playoffs than CFB does AND in those sports there are set guidelines and criteria for how those teams make the playoffs

Do you think those sports would benefit from dynasties if they chose which teams made their playoffs based on "eye test"? Honest question

If the 1986 Lakers had simply been picked to play the Celtics in the Finals or the 2016 Cowboys had been chosen to make the SB vs the Patriots? Or if the MLB committee decided to pick the 2018 Yankees to play in the WS instead of the Red Sox?

The reason pro sport dynasties work is fans know their team has a legit chance to dethrone them if their team has a great season

That's just not true in CFB. You can go 11-1 in CFB and you're not making the playoff unless you're 1 of about 6 teams. There's no rules , no criteria, no consistency

Dynasties sell in pro sports because pro sports have a FAR higher % of their teams make the playoffs than CFB does AND in those sports there are set guidelines and criteria for how those teams make the playoffs

Do you think those sports would benefit from dynasties if they chose which teams made their playoffs based on "eye test"? Honest question

If the 1986 Lakers had simply been picked to play the Celtics in the Finals or the 2016 Cowboys had been chosen to make the SB vs the Patriots? Or if the MLB committee decided to pick the 2018 Yankees to play in the WS instead of the Red Sox?

The reason pro sport dynasties work is fans know their team has a legit chance to dethrone them if their team has a great season

That's just not true in CFB. You can go 11-1 in CFB and you're not making the playoff unless you're 1 of about 6 teams. There's no rules , no criteria, no consistency
This is exactly correct. The whole eyeball test has to go. There will be some for seeding, but not to pick the teams. Imagine that they used to let polls by biased coaches and reporters make the decision. No wonder that the south got the shaft so often. As soon as you had to win it on the field, southern teams dominated.

The top teams will still win a disproportionate percent of games, but I really think you will see more teams cycle through the top once everyone has some type of chance to get in.

Simple fix, just go 12-0

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

This is exactly correct. The whole eyeball test has to go. There will be some for seeding, but not to pick the teams. Imagine that they used to let polls by biased coaches and reporters make the decision. No wonder that the south got the shaft so often. As soon as you had to win it on the field, southern teams dominated.

The top teams will still win a disproportionate percent of games, but I really think you will see more teams cycle through the top once everyone has some type of chance to get in.
Bubububububutttttt, polling/eye ball test/beauty pageant is what the establishment and traditionalists would rather use. Their stance is that it makes CFB what it is.

You are 100% correct that the top teams will still win most of the playoffs. If they don't, then they weren't really a top team but fool's gold.

To repeat myself, that group I referenced above doesn't want to risk top teams being put in a position to be upset in early round playoff games. Such an opportunity is heresy to them.

Simple solution is make it a 130 team triple elimination tournament. No regular season needed. Done.

You're not going to convince those that reap the financial rewards of the bowls to turn that control over to a more equitable solution. There's simply too much money at stake. It's like asking Senators to vote in term limits - just doesn't benefit the top brass.

Well ranking at game time is also a historically accurate metric, but it means very little after all or even most of the games have been played. If you want to brag about who you beat and want to tell me you beat the #3 team when in real life, they finished 7-6 and not in anybody's ranking then I'm going to rightfully say you are dumb.

Alabama beat 5 ranked teams this year...#2,4,5,7 and 13 not 6 ranked #3, #3, #4, #7, #13 and #22. It's hard to imagine saying we beat #3 twice when it was two different teams and not sound stupid...hence the reason for EOY rankings, because nobody wants to be a dummy.

Oregon can claim 1, #21 USC...although Lord only knows why they are ranked. Probably because they were smart and opted out of playing in a bowl game and didn't get exposed like all the other Pac-12 teams.

Now in terms of OOC wins, Alabama has 2 over ranked opponents and Oregon has 0. Alabama is 2-0, Oregon is 0-1, as is tradition.

If you want to feel better about Oregon...Washington has now gone more than 10 years without beating a ranked OOC opponent and more than 20 years since they beat one in the regular season...and they are supposed to be one of your better teams.
one of the Pac's better teams they are in no way shape or form one of mine

thats not what your argument was.
I argued about the pac 12 not being able to hang with the big boys. Not once did I single out Oregon but you brought it up for whatever reason that got you all twisted.

I argued about the pac 12 not being able to hang with the big boys. Not once did I single out Oregon but you brought it up for whatever reason that got you all twisted.
right and winning a playoff game and losing late, not to mention other games in recent years beating Big 12 champ, Big 10 champ, the previously mentioned ACC champ seems like Oregon, who is in the Pac 12 has been hanging fine.
and after i brought it up you changed it to winning championships. which is not the same thing.

Simple fix, just go 12-0

Role Playing Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG
So water down the regular season playing an 8 game conference schedule in a weak ACC and add exhibition games like FCS Citadel.....Expand the play offs, ditch the eyes test and put the game on the field. I will give Alabama the respect they earned this year 13 P5 opponents no FCS. But it’s pretty clear it’s time to expand .6-8 teams P5 autobids with a fail safe if necessary and 1-3 at large bids.More basis on actual football less emphasis on opinions. Higher competition higher quality.

So water down the regular season playing an 8 game conference schedule in a weak ACC and add exhibition games like FCS Citadel.....Expand the play offs, ditch the eyes test and put the game on the field. I will give Alabama the respect they earned this year 13 P5 opponents no FCS. But it’s pretty clear it’s time to expand .6-8 teams P5 autobids with a fail safe if necessary and 1-3 at large bids.More basis on actual football less emphasis on opinions. Higher competition higher quality.
Don't know many sports where the playoffs last for 15 weeks but we need to expand it even more :headscratch:

Don't know many sports where the playoffs last for 15 weeks but we need to expand it even more :headscratch:
Holy shit! Talk about expansion. That's a hell of lot more than 130 teams. Does the CFP committee know they've already selected the teams for 2021 and include teams like South Carolina State, UCONN, New Mexico State and Mercer?

15 weeks? Please provide me with the math you used to arrive at 15 weeks for a 6-8 team play off. Hell USC played 3 games in 13 days this past season....One could also say they don’t know of any sport that plays 40 licensed bowl games the majority of which have become irrelevant. To the point players and teams opt out.

Maybe you can name another sport where teams play regular season games against farm teams.....

Or you can perhaps name another sport where the play off teams are determined by a committee based on eye test......

Reall no good reasons not to expand the play offs and find a set criteria anymore.