BREAKING: Saban Retiring

I remember 1991 and 1992 well.

Those were the years Tom Osborne sent Charlie McBride down to Florida St to learn their defense, so the Nebraska defense was in 'transition'.

Prior to that Nebraska defenses were built to play the Big 8 schedule (big LB's), but when they got into bowl games with Miami/Florida State they got ran off the field by those fast offenses.
McBride moved everybody up a level and put DB speed in the LB spots. It was a perfect recipe to win Natty's from 1994 - 1997.
They damn near beat Florida St for the 1993 Natty too. That would have been 4 Natty's in 5 years.

Thanks to Bobby Bowden for letting our defensive coaches come down to Tallahassee and learn what they were doing.

I remember 1991 and 1992 well.

Those were the years Tom Osborne sent Charlie McBride down to Florida St to learn their defense, so the Nebraska defense was in 'transition'.

Prior to that Nebraska defenses were built to play the Big 8 schedule (big LB's), but when they got into bowl games with Miami/Florida State they got ran off the field by those fast offenses.
McBride moved everybody up a level and put DB speed in the LB spots. It was a perfect recipe to win Natty's from 1994 - 1997.
They damn near beat Florida St for the 1993 Natty too. That would have been 4 Natty's in 5 years.

Thanks to Bobby Bowden for letting our defensive coaches come down to Tallahassee and learn what they were doing.
I was at the game in Seattle. It was pretty epic. UW was on a solid run then as well. The best defense I've ever watched. They destroyed so many good teams.

Yep, he's got a different style of doing things than they are likely to accept down there and won't tolerate any downturns for a learning curve.

He will have Saban as an advisor, but that too might prove to be bad for him.

Can't blame a guy for reaching for something big, but this isn't what I would have done at this time lol. Be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces Saban and have a chance to rebuild back again.
He's walking into the best player roster in CFB. No excuses that he had to rebuild.

He also has the machine up and running. I can assure you that part of the job interview wasn't "tell us how you are going to reorganize things here and do it your way." He will add his style, but he better be ready to jump into the system.

He's walking into the best player roster in CFB. No excuses that he had to rebuild.

He also has the machine up and running. I can assure you that part of the job interview wasn't "tell us how you are going to reorganize things here and do it your way." He will add his style, but he better be ready to jump into the system.
I just hope he does two things.
1. He brings his OC with him
2. He leaves his DC in Washington.

We will see how much of his staff he will be taking with him and how fast he can get in sync with what that team is built for, but everyone agrees he's in nearly a no win scenario. Any step back will have calls for his head.

I just hope he does two things.
1. He brings his OC with him
2. He leaves his DC in Washington.
If UW's AD isn't offering the HC slot to Grubb, he's a damned fool. They seriously upped his salary to keep him on as OC. He turned down Bama already as it was, but if he has HC aspirations they are there for the taking.

We will see how much of his staff he will be taking with him and how fast he can get in sync with what that team is built for, but everyone agrees he's in nearly a no win scenario. Any step back will have calls for his head.
There are two staffs he takes, or not:

1. 10 on-field coaches, grad assistants, and advisors
2. All the office personnel, recruiting staff, etc.

I guess that he interviews everyone over the next 2 weeks, then brings a fair amount of 1, very little of 2. My guess is the people at no. 2 are safe and he will want them to stay.

I mean, fuck him, not that I want to say anything good about him right now. But he walked into a 4-8 team with a middle of the road roster on paper, and went 25-3 over the next two years with no excuses about needing to rebuild.

He'll probably be okay. Hopefully not, but I don't see his impressive HC record getting worse any time soon.

I was really hoping Lanning would go be the next Bama HC.

If UW's AD isn't offering the HC slot to Grubb, he's a damned fool. They seriously upped his salary to keep him on as OC. He turned down Bama already as it was, but if he has HC aspirations they are there for the taking.
He's attached to DeBoer at the dick though. Guess it would depend if he has HC aspirations or not.

Worth trying I guess, what have we got to lose. I'll have a bad taste about promoting the coordinator wonder boy from within until I don't though, for obvious reasons.

He's attached to DeBoer at the dick though. Guess it would depend if he has HC aspirations or not.

Worth trying I guess, what have we got to lose. I'll have a bad taste about promoting the coordinator wonder boy from within until I don't though, for obvious reasons.
lol, Softy couldn't manage to go on the air for cross talk before the start of his show. He had Dick do it. I'm sure his meltdown is pending shortly...

If anyone else wants to see THE husky homer in full tilt mode. It's never pretty. Show starts in a couple of minutes.

Not a great effort to open. Hopefully after headlines he shows the real softy and goes full tilt.

Apparently the signs were there. He played the wholesome "we're a family" guy so well.

He had 7 moves over 15 years? I mean it's what he does.

I'll still pose this though. If you knew up front you would only have him for 2 years but you'd reach the natty would you still sign up for it? Of course you would. So would the fans of most every program. It was a hell of a ride.

I've been through this cycle so many times. Tops of the sport down to 0-12 and everything in between.

I've tried to tell others who come off like they are never going to lose again. (We know who that is lol). Enjoy every high because it never lasts forever. It will come back around again though.

Damn, he's nearly in tears lol. Get it together Softy sheesh.

I mean, fuck him, not that I want to say anything good about him right now. But he walked into a 4-8 team with a middle of the road roster on paper, and went 25-3 over the next two years with no excuses about needing to rebuild.

He'll probably be okay. Hopefully not, but I don't see his impressive HC record getting worse any time soon.
Problem is that 25-3 and no NC will get you fired and run out of town at Alabama.