Ceiling Fan Installation

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I don't know shit. Wondering if you guys think I should do it or not.

We want a ceiling fan with lights in our master bedroom. It was roughed in when they built the house, so there is a plastic plate in the center of the ceiling where it would go, and two switches for the fan and the lights on the wall, so I'm assuming it's pretty much plug-and-play, but what the fuck do I know?

Any advice?

@Peter Gozintite
@Parka

I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I don't know shit. Wondering if you guys think I should do it or not.

We want a ceiling fan with lights in our master bedroom. It was roughed in when they built the house, so there is a plastic plate in the center of the ceiling where it would go, and two switches for the fan and the lights on the wall, so I'm assuming it's pretty much plug-and-play, but what the fuck do I know?

Any advice?

@Peter Gozintite
@Parka
If the infrastructure is already there, it will be super easy.

march madness lowes GIF by Lowe's Home Improvement

Any advice?

@Peter Gozintite
@Parka
Its not that tough, but if you know nothing, you may not want to.

Nowadays the fans typically only connect to one wire, so you only need to connect one of the hot ones. When take down the cover there will be one ground(bare copper), one neutral(white wire) and a black and red( both hot, to different switches).

Your fan may have two hot wires, which on the fan side would typically be black and blue. I dont know why, but it is. Then a ground and neutral.

Typically you would hang the support bracket to the light box in the ceiling. Then assemble the fan. Then climb a ladder with an awkward assembled fan, and hang it on the support bracket. Then connect the wires

Ground to ground, neuyral to neutral, and hots to hots. When shutting off breakers, you need to shut off the lighting circuits. The lights are on different circuits than the outlets in the room, typically. Usually 15 amp breakers in your main electrical panel. 20 amp breakers are usually for outlets.

Any advice?

@Peter Gozintite
@Parka
Call. The. Man.

Nowadays the fans typically only connect to one wire, so you only need to connect one of the hot ones. When take down the cover there will be one ground(bare copper), one neutral(white wire) and a black and red( both hot, to different switches).

Your fan may have two hot wires, which on the fan side would typically be black and blue. I dont know why, but it is. Then a ground and neutral.

Typically you would hang the support bracket to the light box in the ceiling. Then assemble the fan. Then climb a ladder with an awkward assembled fan, and hang it on the support bracket. Then connect the wires

Ground to ground, neuyral to neutral, and hots to hots. When shutting off breakers, you need to shut off the lighting circuits. The lights are on different circuits than the outlets in the room, typically. Usually 15 amp breakers in your main electrical panel. 20 amp breakers are usually for outlets.
This. If the bracket, wiring etc is already there, it's not really difficult. I installed three fans in my last house and had never done it before. The most difficult part as Peter mentioned is the awkward ladder climb with the assembled fan.

Just a couple things.
1. Touch all the wires to make sure which one is 'hot'
2. No need for wire nuts, just use electrical tape
3. Have your wife help.

You're Welcome
I hear it’s best if you touch the wires with your junk rather than your fingers. Can you confirm?

Dude. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all that info. I think I'll buy the fan and then pop the plastic cap off for a looksee and make my decision, but this is really helpful. Thank you.

No more FUCK YOU, PETER!s for at least a week.

This. If the bracket, wiring etc is already there, it's not really difficult. I installed three fans in my last house and had never done it before. The most difficult part as Peter mentioned is the awkward ladder climb with the assembled fan.

That might be an issue. 12' ceiling and the bed is under the fan. I might be able to set the ladder right at the foot of the bed and be able to reach.

Gonna be exciting.

There should already be a box there for the old light. The wiring for the light would be the same for the fan, so pay attention when removing the light.

The only problem I've ever run into is the fan mounting bolts being too short for the old light box. Just go to the hardware store and get longer ones/same gauge .

Don't put the blades on 'til the fan is mounted.
Don't put the light kit on 'til the blades are on.

You can't screw up the light kit wiring on a 'Hunter'. Light kits on them are plug and play. There is a connector that only connects one way.

There should already be a box there for the old light. The wiring for the light would be the same for the fan, so pay attention when removing the light.

The only problem I've ever run into is the fan mounting bolts being too short for the old light box. Just go to the hardware store and get longer ones/same gauge .

Don't put the blades on 'til the fan is mounted.
Don't put the light kit on 'til the blades are on.

You can't screw up the light kit wiring on a 'Hunter'. Light kits on them are plug and play. There is a connector that only connects one way.
Sweet. I saw a bunch of Hunter brand fans that looked nice.

it's really fucking easy. 3-4 wire connections and a ladder... oh fuck, a ladder. Leave that shit to a professional.