Ceiling Fan Installation

Peter mentioned is the awkward ladder climb
carol burnett maxwell smart GIF
Me and @Bayou Tiger are both clumsy on the climb! Shan't be Denied!

I changed out 6 ceiling fans during my remodel job 5 years ago. The biggest tip I can offer is contrary to what the instructions may say, leave the blades off until the last step. It makes doing everything else so much easier!

I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I don't know shit. Wondering if you guys think I should do it or not.

We want a ceiling fan with lights in our master bedroom. It was roughed in when they built the house, so there is a plastic plate in the center of the ceiling where it would go, and two switches for the fan and the lights on the wall, so I'm assuming it's pretty much plug-and-play, but what the fuck do I know?

Any advice?

@Peter Gozintite
@Parka
I typically have been about as handy as a...well I'm not really handy. We have started the process of finishing the basement and my father-in-law guided me through the electric. It's much easier than I thought. If you have someone in the family or a neighbor that had done this before I would definitely ask for some help. As funny as it sounds Youtube has some great resources for projects like this especially since it sounds like the wiring and switches are already in place for you.

I hear it’s best if you touch the wires with your junk rather than your fingers. Can you confirm?
I can't speak for ceiling fans but I can confirm this is best practice for car batteries

Any advice?
Hey Slink! It looks like you have plenty of good advice already. The only thing I can add is to be safety conscious. Let's start with attire, shall we?

Of course the usual common sense stuff, long pants, long sleeves, Heavy work boots, the HEAVIER the better.
Lace Up Work GIF by DurangoBoots

2. Since we are dealing with electrics, a pair of hip waders are well advised. If you can't find waders, a pair of Rubber Galoshes and a pair of Leather Chaps will work in a pinch. If ya ain't got no Leather Chaps, what ya do is ya go to the Junk Yard and purchase 2 pair of floor mats and Dunce Craft a pair of Chaps! I dun did it so's we knows it's doable!

3. A Leather Jacket or Trench Coat is a must as is a Full Face Helmet with Visor.

4. To complete the ensemble, a pair of Oven Mittens is absolutely required, no substitutions, Please!
Excited Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Good Luck Slinky!

Hey Slink! It looks like you have plenty of good advice already. The only thing I can add is to be safety conscious. Let's start with attire, shall we?

Of course the usual common sense stuff, long pants, long sleeves, Heavy work boots, the HEAVIER the better.
Lace Up Work GIF by DurangoBoots

2. Since we are dealing with electrics, a pair of hip waders are well advised. If you can't find waders, a pair of Rubber Galoshes and a pair of Leather Chaps will work in a pinch. If ya ain't got no Leather Chaps, what ya do is ya go to the Junk Yard and purchase 2 pair of floor mats and Dunce Craft a pair of Chaps! I dun did it so's we knows it's doable!

3. A Leather Jacket or Trench Coat is a must as is a Full Face Helmet with Visor.

4. To complete the ensemble, a pair of Oven Mittens is absolutely required, no substitutions, Please!
Excited Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Good Luck Slinky!
POTY nominee.