Ceiling Fan Installation

The only thing left to do is check to make sure they used the correct bracing for the fan.
Don't assume they did the right thing.

I think if they run 2 switches, it's required to be a fan box... either braced between or directly on a stud.

That might be an issue. 12' ceiling and the bed is under the fan. I might be able to set the ladder right at the foot of the bed and be able to reach.

Gonna be exciting.

My ceiling is 15' so I needed scaffolding.
I was covering the popcorn ceiling anyway, so already had the scaffolding on hand.

A tall step ladder should work for you if you can borrow one from a friend.

I can reach the bulbs/blades on this fan with a step ladder, but not where it's mounted to the ceiling.

1654789700846.png

I was covering the popcorn ceiling anyway, so already had the scaffolding on hand.

I can reach the bulbs/blades on this fan with a step ladder, but not where it's mounted to the ceiling.View attachment 74141
I have a big ladder that would get me high enough, but I'd rather not move the bed if I don't have to.

Don't lean off any ladder, especially one that tall.
Word. I was hanging party lights on my pergola by the pool and the ladder slipped out from under me on uneven ground. Fortunately, I was able to hang off the support beam of the pergola and drop down to the hearth of the fireplace. It was a little sketchy, though.

I can reach the bulbs/blades on this fan with a step ladder, but not where it's mounted to the ceiling.

View attachment 74142

BTW.... You can buy those extension rods (in different lengths) separately if you don't want to do a flush mount. That Hunter came with an extension rod but I wanted a longer one for access to the bulbs/blades with a step ladder.
iirc I got the fan at Menards and the extension rod at home depot.

The extension rods are generic and work for any brand fan.

Just don't cut your wires back (where they connect to your ceiling wires) until you know how long the extension rod will be.

The wires on the fan are plenty long for that purpose.

bad day falling GIF by Nest

View attachment 74142
Pussy. Mine is higher, and I leaned an extension ladder against the vaulted ceiling, like a man!!!

Just ask coonass tigger aka Shelby Stanga.

I used to have to get on my employees regularly for leaning off of step ladders when hanging cable troughs or running cable/wiring. The worst was when I'd catch them standing on the top.

We're not cutting corners on time here, I don't feel like having to hire/train a new employee, and I don't feel like paying workman's comp, and I don't feel like filling out accident report paperwork.

Last edited: