Clemson Joins FSU in Suing the ACC To Get Out of Media Rights

Meh using the rankings as they were and assuming the additions would hold is false facts. A fringe team (12, 13) that would have "got in" prob misses if they played another team that was there. Ie does both 12 ok and 13 lsu make it in last season had they played in same conference?
1. No shit, Sherlock. There is no way to get it perfect, because it didn't happen. But, this does give us as good a guestimate as we can get for the purpose of the discussion.

2. If the committee is given the correct mission, and they don't just look at losses, then you are going to find teams getting in from the SEC and B1G that will have one more loss than a team from the ACC or B12. That should resolve your concern that a 12 LSU might have another loss compared to 13 Baylor or some other ACC or B12 team. The B1G and SEC teams are going to play much tougher schedules than the other two P2 conferences.

So, sure, there will be more losses for the P2, but the committee's mission will also be different and that will account for that.

I can tell you this ... the first time the committee starts just ranking them by wins and losses will be the last time. We still don't know if it's going to be the 3 AQs for the P2, 2 for the other P4, and 1 for the G6, but if the committee doesn't look at that, then the P2 will change the formula the next year.

The B12 isn’t going to 22 unless the networks pay, which is highly doubtful.

The SEC/B1G isn’t going to give up more money in the playoff. They want their large cut which they’ll get for the time being until they break away. It’ll be a sad day once that happens.
They need to do it now.

They need to do it now.
Not until they figure out the legal landscape. It will be a couple of years before they can settle the House case and then decide how to pull off the CBA, etc.

Not until they figure out the legal landscape. It will be a couple of years before they can settle the House case and then decide how to pull off the CBA, etc.
Who is this “they” you speak of kemosabe?

Who is this “they” you speak of kemosabe?
The NCAA and the P2. You said they need to break away now. I said none of that will happen until the legal landscape is better known so that such a breakaway, if it happens, will put an end to the legal wrangling.

Would some ACC schools be willing to accept permanent lower % shares in order to get into either the SEC or B1G as this YouTube video suggests?

Would some ACC schools be willing to accept permanent lower % shares in order to get into either the SEC or B1G as this YouTube video suggests?

So far, the SEC hasn't done that. And I don't see any reason they should. Without CFP contributions - the way it is now, no additional schools provide that - no one qualifies.

Let's assume that there is a way for a school to earn a CFP share - about $23 million for the SEC schools, $19 million for B1G schools - only FSU and Clemson come close to TV Viewship numbers. So, other than those, why do it? Why add schools just to add schools? It just makes things more complicated. It means you play teams less often.

Someone explain why growing for the sake of growing makes sense.

I don't see anyone being added under those circumstances. I don't think the conferences wants to open that can of worms. Why would a school like Purdue or Vanderbilt want to entertain the idea of paying schools different rates based on their media value?

I don't see anyone being added under those circumstances. I don't think the conferences wants to open that can of worms. Why would a school like Purdue or Vanderbilt want to entertain the idea of paying schools different rates based on their media value?

They wouldn't....

Unless of course they were 'grandfathered' in to getting full shares.

Except there's still the "check in" in 2028 and when the contract ends after 6 years.
So when a conference over/under performs in getting teams into the playoffs, then that % is liking to change in the "check in" evaluation. Getting teams into the playoffs still matters and having a strong SOS will be important in getting more teams into the playoffs ... hence the value of adding two teams who recruits at a top 10/15 level and who bring in tier 1 TV ratings without the need of having to play a team like OSU or UM :2cents:

The "check in" exists because the decision makers don't expect the conference makeup to be the same in 2028 as it is today. Plain and simple.

They wouldn't....

Unless of course they were 'grandfathered' in to getting full shares.
They aren’t gonna reduce shares of people already getting full shares. Once you’re in the club you’re in the club. Any of what they were talking about here dealt with people coming into the club. Big difference.

They aren’t gonna reduce shares of people already getting full shares. Once you’re in the club you’re in the club. Any of what they were talking about here dealt with people coming into the club. Big difference.

I realize that. Thus me pointing out they'd be grandfathered in.

You have to think everyone outside the P2 would still take this. It still guarantees you a seat at the table and eventually that lower % share will still be higher than what every other conference pays out if it isn’t already.

Where can everyone’s favorite Mountaineers sign on for this?

You have to think everyone outside the P2 would still take this. It still guarantees you a seat at the table and eventually that lower % share will still be higher than what every other conference pays out if it isn’t already.

Where can everyone’s favorite Mountaineers sign on for this?

A seat at the table with a smaller share of the revenue already exists. That's what the Big 12 is. I don't think the SEC and Big Ten really want to break away. As long as they continue to get larger shares, I think they will let others sit at the same table.

Why would a school like Purdue or Vanderbilt want to entertain the idea of paying schools different rates based on their media value?
Why WOULDN’T a school like Ohio State and Alabama want to entertain the idea of paying schools different rates based on their media value?

Why WOULDN’T a school like Ohio State and Alabama want to entertain the idea of paying schools different rates based on their media value?

Because it opens up a huge can of worms. A conference needs members to survive. Conference members won't be happy making a 1/3 of what others are making in perpetuity. To make it work, you will need a group of schools getting tier 1 or tier 2 payouts.

But honestly, we already have that. The tier 1 is called the Big Ten and SEC.

Because it opens up a huge can of worms. A conference needs members to survive. Conference members won't be happy making a 1/3 of what others are making in perpetuity. To make it work, you will need a group of schools getting tier 1 or tier 2 payouts.

history shows, that they can get mad or they can take their reduced share and be happy with it.. u know.. like the PAC schools outside LA

Don't want to get in trouble for not taking this to the politics forum, but it sure looks like schools (to use the ones you and I cited) like Ohio State and Alabama are subsidizing schools like Purdue and Vanderbilt when it comes to media value. I know a lot of people that rant and rave about the act of subsidizing.

I will say this for the new Big 12. I don't see any of the schools subsidizing the others regarding media value. They don't have schools that have any significantly higher media value than the others. The only two that had significantly more media value than any of the others are in the SEC now.

history shows, that they can get mad or they can take their reduced share and be happy with it.. u know.. like the PAC schools outside LA

Apples and Oranges. Teams have taken reduced shares in a contract that's already been signed in order to get their foot in the door. That's happened with RU, MD, NE, OR, and WA. That's different than a permanent reduced share.