DeBoer Replaces Saban

Scumbags:

It all felt very weird that Grubb followed DeBoer, but didn't change his status on SM, didn't sign any contracts, didn't hard commit to being at Bama. I'm sure DeBoer asked him if he could slow roll that to help stave off a bigger wave of exits.

Wouldn't feel too bad for those kids though, there's a portal window opening in less than 2 months.

If there are players that would have jumped in knowing for sure Grubb wasn't staying that couldn't read the tea leaves and pull that trigger as it was, then that's on them. They could have hit the portal and pulled back if Grubb stayed.

It all felt very weird that Grubb followed DeBoer, but didn't change his status on SM, didn't sign any contracts, didn't hard commit to being at Bama. I'm sure DeBoer asked him if he could slow roll that to help stave off a bigger wave of exits.

Wouldn't feel too bad for those kids though, there's a portal window opening in less than 2 months.

If there are players that would have jumped in knowing for sure Grubb wasn't staying that couldn't read the tea leaves and pull that trigger as it was, then that's on them. They could have hit the portal and pulled back if Grubb stayed.
I think Bama will find another OC as good as Grubb. Its not like this isnt Deboers offense anyway. He will find the right man, or promote one from on staff that can handle the job. Bama is a top job in the country for any Assistant looking for a big paycheck and a step towards the NFL or HC job if that is what they want.

I think Bama will find another OC as good as Grubb. Its not like this isnt Deboers offense anyway. He will find the right man, or promote one from on staff that can handle the job. Bama is a top job in the country for any Assistant looking for a big paycheck and a step towards the NFL or HC job if that is what they want.
Grubb has turned Alabama down twice now, once while Saban was still the guy. Maybe not the top job it once was.

Grubb has turned Alabama down twice now, once while Saban was still the guy. Maybe not the top job it once was.

Not sure when he turned it down before but obviously if the NFL comes calling, especially from the area he was already in, then he is going to choose the NFL

Deboer doesn’t have deep ties to the coaching elite….I’d be a little nervous if I was an Alabama fan.

Not sure when he turned it down before but obviously if the NFL comes calling, especially from the area he was already in, then he is going to choose the NFL
Last year, after his first year at UW.

Yes, it’s the NFL. Also, he clearly didn’t want to leave in the first place. He released a pretty emotional statement about wanting to be, but not being the next UW coach a few days after DeBoer bailed. What coach does that, and then never updates their social media to reflect their new team? This probably all fell into place to be best case scenario for him given the circumstance.

Alabama will probably be fine. DeBoer can call plays if he doesn’t find someone he wants or trusts. But also, we’re probably past the days of them snagging any support staff they want and good coaches who have hit a rough patch jizzing themselves at the chance of being an analyst for them.

Deboer doesn’t have deep ties to the coaching elite….I’d be a little nervous if I was an Alabama fan.

They will be fine. There is still a ridiculous amount of talent on that team. No one is going to do what Saban did but they should still be in contention most years, just not winning it every 2nd or 3rd year like before

"Its not like this isnt Deboers offense anyway"
How so? Grubb has literally been with him at every stop in his head coaching career. At best it was a collaborative offense, but we were told by both of them when they were here that Grubb was doing the inovatting and had full control over the game planning and play calling.

I'm not saying DeBoer doesn't know offense, but that above quote sounds like DeBoer is the one controlling the offense and that wasn't true here. Grubb very publicly took 100% responsibility for every loss and spoke about his decisions and things he should have done better.

The point is, they have been a matched pair all throughout both of their careers. Unknown how either will fair without the other moving forward.

Last edited:
"Its not like this isnt Deboers offense anyway"
How so? Grubb has literally been with him at every stop in his coaching career. At best it was a collaborative offense, but we were told by both of them when they were here that Grubb was doing the inovatting and had full control over the game planning and play calling.

I'm not saying DeBoer doesn't know offense, but that above quote sounds like DeBoer is the one controlling the offense and that wasn't true here. Grubb very publicly took 100% responsibility for every loss and spoke about his decisions and things he should have done better.

The point is, they have been a matched pair all throughout both of their careers. Unknown how either will fair without the other moving forward.
Deboer has been an OC without Grubb, but he’s always had him at his head coaching stops. I think DeBoer running a program without Grubb is a way bigger question than Grubb running an offense without DeBoer though. We’ve beat to death the topic of the only real question about DeBoer is if he can be a long term guy beyond Xs and Os stuff. Having to put more effort and time into running “his” offense probably isn’t ideal for him.

Will be interesting to see how they both do, but I’m thrilled Grubb landed with the Hawks. And happy for him, I think this is where he wants to be.

Deboer has been an OC without Grubb, but he’s always had him at his head coaching stops. I think DeBoer running a program without Grubb is a way bigger question than Grubb running an offense without DeBoer though. We’ve beat to death the topic of the only real question about DeBoer is if he can be a long term guy beyond Xs and Os stuff. Having to put more effort and time into running “his” offense probably isn’t ideal for him.

Will be interesting to see how they both do, but I’m thrilled Grubb landed with the Hawks.
Are we more happy because we think Grubb can pop at the NFL level, or just happy to see Bama have to deal with the coaching shakeup this close to spring ball after gutting our program?

Are we more happy because we think Grubb can pop at the NFL level, or just happy to see Bama have to deal with the coaching shakeup this close to spring ball after gutting our program?
Both.

Geno =/= Penix

I worry that Grubb can take on what amounts to much much more difficult defenses to game plan against with less tools to work with at QB and O line and make it all work to the point where he fully gets buy in from the players and builds the confidence he will need to be an aggressive play caller at the NFL level.

He was a bit too apologetic at times after losses, too close of wins, radio interviews, etc.

Have to have that killer instinct and shake off losses.

We will see though. You know how I worry about pretty much everything as it is. :becky:

Geno =/= Penix

I worry that Grubb can take on what amounts to much much more difficult defenses to game plan against with less tools to work with at QB and O line and make it all work to the point where he fully gets buy in from the players and builds the confidence he will need to be an aggressive play caller at the NFL level.

He was a bit too apologetic at times after losses, too close of wins, radio interviews, etc.

Have to have that killer instinct and shake off losses.

We will see though. You know how I worry about pretty much everything as it is. :becky:
Pfffft. He tricked the Saints into thinking Haener is an NFL quarterback. It’s not like Seahawks don’t have some key pieces on offense that will fit right into Grubb’s game. The dude clearly cares deeply about his team and would rather take responsibility than put it on anyone else. Think there’s a strong argument that can be made that he was every bit as important in forming the winning culture in the locker room as DeBoer.

We won’t know until we see it, but I haven’t heard anyone who seems to know what they’re talking about express concern with his NFL readiness, but in fact the opposite.