DIY Monster Fish Tank

Gall dang link ain't showin! How's about some gifs instead?
Power Rangers Dancing GIF
austin powers yes GIF
car crash GIF

If the flow is heavier at the pump end, as long as there is still some flow at the opposite end I will be okay with that. No flow at the opposite end will be a fail.

Which direction is the flow in these test runs? Is the pump connected in such a manner that that piping located at the bottom of tank is suction?...... or discharge?

Which direction is the flow in these test runs? Is the pump connected in such a manner that that piping located at the bottom of tank is suction?...... or discharge?
Discharge. I think/hope my new bigger pump will work much better. When you were still employed were you a mechanical engineer or something? I hope you don't mind me asking.
animation machine GIF by Gareth Fowler

Discharge. I think/hope my new bigger pump will work much better. When you were still employed were you a mechanical engineer or something? I hope you don't mind me asking.
Civil/Structural

I had an under gravel filter and it would suck the water from the tank, thru the gravel or corral substrate and eventually up a return tube that connected to the suction end of the pump....the discharge end would then transfer the water up the back of the tank and it would then discharge onto the surface of the water in the tank.

undergravel-filter-diagram.png

Similar process as shown above using method shown on right side.

He works for Roto-Rooter

Here is a diagram of something similar to what you are building. Notice the direction of flow?

I think the piping under substrate needs to be connected to suction side of pump....

undergravel.jpg

Here is a diagram of something similar to what you are building. Notice the direction of flow?

I think the piping under substrate needs to be connected to suction side of pump....

undergravel.jpg
I was reading about reverse flow, water being discharged rather than drawn in, and the writer claims the beneficial bacteria don't care which way the water is flowing to do what they do. I was all kinds of against reverse flow at first, mostly because I never did it that way in the past. And it just seems logical to me that reverse flow/discharge would prevent clogs much better than suction.

I'll tell you what though, I got me an Engineer for a Project Manager, and a Good Time Shan't be denied!
Cat Working GIF by Looney Tunes
200.gif
star wars film GIF by NowThis

Well hell, I re-configured my under gravel filter and because I didn't glue any of the joints and even though the joints are snug, because it's so long and flimsy, it kept coming apart when I tried to put it in the tank. The simple fix is to glue the joints but my glue was all dried up!

So I ordered some more CPVC glue but it won't be here until Sunday... CRAP!

I looked at about a half dozen pond builds using UGF's and I noticed they all had longer feed pipes and the perforated pipes were shorter and had end caps, looking like an antennae, as opposed to my first version which was more like a big loop. I also drilled the holes smaller this time, still every two inches but 5/64" instead of 1/8"

Here is a pic of my new UGF and another pond filter pic for comparison.
UGF 2.0.jpg

UGF pond filter.jpg

It got good today. I'm ready for fish right now. My new stronger pump and the new UGF layout are working great. You can watch small debris float near any of the perforations all up and down the filter and when it passes near a hole in the pipe, it takes off for a spurt, it is going to work great. I'm going to start hauling bags of lava rock from the garage to the basement in a few minutes. I doubt if I finish tonight, I'm in no mood to stop now! But yeah, Bunny brought me home some CPVC cement after her work and mine started!

I'm gonna go ahead and get a small crew of goldfish just to get started. This is going to be so MUCH FUN! JFC!
New UGF success.jpg

I'm hoping it clears up by the morning. If it doesn't I will just drain it and add more water.

I put 8 bags of lava rock in it. I can't see the bottom but after I level it out I think it might be a good three inches deep and that is plenty. I still have two more bags of lava rocks for other projects.

I can't post the picture from my phone yet, when I go upstairs I will post the murky pic.

I'm hoping it clears up by the morning. If it doesn't I will just drain it and add more water.

I put 8 bags of lava rock in it. I can't see the bottom but after I level it out I think it might be a good three inches deep and that is plenty. I still have two more bags of lava rocks for other projects.

I can't post the picture from my phone yet, when I go upstairs I will post the murky pic.
Maybe spray them sumbiches off with the hose first!
Filter testing

Before and after pics please