DIY Monster Fish Tank

Probably has about 10 pounds of dust in that tank...

Needed to fill a tub with water and rinse and repeat each bag until water runs clear, then load into tank. Got in a hurry! Lesson learned. Now start over!

Needed to fill a tub with water and rinse and repeat each bag until water runs clear, then load into tank. Got in a hurry! Lesson learned. Now start over!
season 2 wow GIF by Blunt Talk

I did it that way by design. Worst case would be to drain and refill. And for the Clumsy, the way I approached it was so much MUCH easier than opening the bag, rinse and put in tank. It woulda taken me 6 or more hours, I woulda been a beat up cold wet mess and instead it only took an hour or two.

I'm using a small power head (submersible pump) with a canister of filter floss that I have been changing about every three hours and here is a before and now pic, after about 21 hours.
Murky waters.jpg21 hours.jpg
I will switch out the filter floss one more time tonight and look for more improvement in the morning.

I did it that way by design. Worst case would be to drain and refill. And for the Clumsy, the way I approached it was so much MUCH easier than opening the bag, rinse and put in tank. It woulda taken me 6 or more hours, I woulda been a beat up cold wet mess and instead it only took an hour or two.

I'm using a small power head (submersible pump) with a canister of filter floss that I have been changing about every three hours and here is a before and now pic, after about 21 hours.
View attachment 61315View attachment 61316
I will switch out the filter floss one more time tonight and look for more improvement in the morning.
Might as well see what it can do in a worst case scenario. Looks better than I thought it might.

Whats it look like today!?!?!?!?!?!
I'm pretty pleased and I think it will clear up soon.

Maybe you guys know, maybe some of you might not, but even though the UGF is running and operating as it should, the filter is inactive yet, it needs to get some organic waste for the bacteria to develop. Until then it is mostly sterile.

I also drilled holes on the 12 end caps and I was able to watch small debris get blown around by the filter pipes all up and down that guy, I'm really pleased with the water flow with this last design. A stronger pump, 1,200 GPH vs 700, smaller holes and not as many as in the first design.

Here's a pic:
End cap drilled.jpg

I hope I can get a ride to the pet shop by this weekend because I want to get three or 4 small goldfish just for a jump start on the hobby season!
comedy cbc GIF by Kim's Convenience

I hope I can get a ride to the pet shop by this weekend because I want to get three or 4 small goldfish just for a jump start on the hobby season!
comedy cbc GIF by Kim's Convenience's Convenience
Theyre going to think they got dropped in a lake

Theyre going to think they got dropped in a lake
No! Maybe a pond though, or a big mud puddle, it still looks muddy.

The last two nights I stayed up past 4am eastern and I got up early yesterday but today I slep in till 12:48 PM eastern, 9:38 AM Pacific!

And I still felt all sleepy and larthy (lethargic) when I arose this early afternoon! I haven't been boozin it up or anything either.
36 hours.jpg It's still very cloudy and if it doesn't clear up soon, perhaps a drainage/refill procedure is in order!

No! Maybe a pond though, or a big mud puddle, it still looks muddy.

The last two nights I stayed up past 4am eastern and I got up early yesterday but today I slep in till 12:48 PM eastern, 9:38 AM Pacific!

And I still felt all sleepy and larthy (lethargic) when I arose this early afternoon! I haven't been boozin it up or anything either.
View attachment 61392 It's still very cloudy and if it doesn't clear up soon, perhaps a drainage/refill procedure is in order!
can i get that time converted to guam time please

Dem rocks were dirty as fuck
surprised he hasnt just drained it pulled the rocks, washed the rocks return the rocks then filled it back up... way less of a headache.

always wash your aquarium rocks

It's still very cloudy and if it doesn't clear up soon, perhaps a drainage/refill procedure is in order!

Any dust, dirt or very small particles will settle to the bottom of tank. Gravity causes that and unless you know how to overcome gravity, it will always happen.

Now then, placing the pipes at the bottom where all the sediment is collecting, and then forcing water through holes in those pipes will stir those sediments up because the water pressure coming out those holes in pipes are stirring it up.

I bet if you left the pump off for a day the water would eventually clear up as all the "material" other than water will have settled to the bottom. This is what I can't wrap my mind around. That's why I asked which direction was the flow.

If I were doing it, I would increase the size of holes in UGF piping and wrap a mesh around the piping if worried about sucking the substrate into it....but I would reverse the flow.

tank.jpg

Similar in principle to doing this...only as described above using your pvc piping instead of having a gravel tray....

ugf.JPG

surprised he hasnt just drained it pulled the rocks, washed the rocks return the rocks then filled it back up... way less of a headache.

always wash your aquarium rocks
I know that and I used my tank as a tub and I stirred it all with a stick like I was making a giant batch of gestapo, you know, the cold soup!

And I did that twice and refilled it again last night.

And I still want to add about two more inches of a smaller gravel. That lava rock is a harsh surface, fish enjoy the creature comforts as well as bears and other life forms.

Now, as soon as I get upstairs I will show a pic of the water. It's a big improvement and I'm sure it will be crystal clear once I get it all finished with plants and the like.

Any dust, dirt or very small particles will settle to the bottom of tank. Gravity causes that and unless you know how to overcome gravity, it will always happen.

Now then, placing the pipes at the bottom where all the sediment is collecting, and then forcing water through holes in those pipes will stir those sediments up because the water pressure coming out those holes in pipes are stirring it up.

I bet if you left the pump off for a day the water would eventually clear up as all the "material" other than water will have settled to the bottom. This is what I can't wrap my mind around. That's why I asked which direction was the flow.

If I were doing it, I would increase the size of holes in UGF piping and wrap a mesh around the piping if worried about sucking the substrate into it....but I would reverse the flow.

View attachment 61405

Similar in principle to doing this...only as described above using your pvc piping instead of having a gravel tray....

View attachment 61406
Okay but my question is, why would I want to do away with my 2-way manifold that uses ONE pump to sufficiently PUSH water throughout the UGF and use two pumps instead?

With respect and honor I shall REJECT your advice concerning the way the UGF is powered. And this reverse-flow that I'm using, it's not my idea, the Koi industry has been using it since the 1960's, it's not a new thing and I have to believe that reverse-flow nearly eliminates clogging which is the number one reason UGF's fail.

Furthermore, my UGF has 204 outlet holes and so that water is pretty evenly dispersed creating gentle flows, not enough pressure at any point to stir up sediment.
Better.jpg
pre-filter.jpg

There's a Pet Smart near where Bunny works and I put in a request for her to bring an order home for me.

Now these goldfish will be special to me because of course they will be the first to be in my tank. I have several reasons I chose to start with goldfish.
1. They are readily available and not expensive at all.
2. They are extremely hardy and they will also provide the organic waste to get the bio filter active.
3. I kind of like them anyway. They will eat out of your hands and they can live up to 15 years in well kept conditions.

But they might also get eaten if I get the alpha predators I'd like to get. And I'm okay with that but I would also like it if the goldfish toughed it out just like they do in the wild!

The alpha predator I'd like to get are three or 4 Redfin Pickerel. They only get about one pound and 12 inches long fully grown.

I also just learned the main difference between Koi and Goldfish. Most goldfish varieties get to be about 15 inches long and can live ten to 15 years and Koi can reach lengths up to three feet long and live up to 35 years!

Here's what I hope I get tomorrow:

Three of these.
Calico goldfish.pngTwo of these: Ryukin goldfish.pngAnd one of these:Comet golfish.png

Just had a cichlid that died after having it for 15 years at least.
Is that why you were talking about getting rid of an aquarium last summer? What kind of cichlid was it?

I'll tell you what though. I will spending a LOT of time in my basement this year. And it's not even that messy down there, it's just a bit unorganized and I will have it spick & span soon. This summer is gonna be the best! Right across from my tank, about 5 feet away is my shooting table and I didn't fire my air rifles at all last summer. I was all work and no play... and we know what that can do to a person!
stephen king horror GIF