Do you need a 5 iron?

Me

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 4,509.00
I'm buying a new set of irons, and trying to figure out what configuration I should buy. When I was hitting the 7 iron at the store, it was going about as far as my current 5 iron. So that's got me thinking I don't really need it in my new set.

Is the 5 iron obsolete now?

I use my 4 and 5 irons a good amount and they go further than my 7 Iron.

how far is your 7 going?

I use my 4 and 5 irons a good amount and they go further than my 7 Iron.

how far is your 7 going?
This is all on the simulator, so distances may not be accurate.

I brought my 6 in as a control (either I or my brother lost my 7). My 6 was going about 190. The 7 was going about 200.

I'm thinking of just getting the 6-PW, AW set

I brought my 6 in as a control (either I or my brother lost my 7). My 6 was going about 190. The 7 was going about 200.

k

I guess if your 6 does 190 and the new ones are longer maybe you don’t need a 5.

My yard calibration is much lower so I need a full iron set.

Question.....you’re 250 from the green. What do you pull if you want to take a shot at reaching?

Reactions: ill
I guess if your 6 does 190 and the new ones are longer maybe you don’t need a 5.

My yard calibration is much lower so I need a full iron set.

Question.....you’re 250 from the green. What do you pull if you want to take a shot at reaching?
At some point, I'll be going through this same exercise with my woods. So, maybe I'll take a shot with one of those...

If I was smart, I'd just use my 6 iron and lay up, but I'm not, so I'd probably go balls out and hit a 3 wood at it.

At some point, I'll be going through this same exercise with my woods. So, maybe I'll take a shot with one of those...

If I was smart, I'd just use my 6 iron and lay up, but I'm not, so I'd probably go balls out and hit a 3 wood at it.
That was my only thought....where is the gap in your set? If you have no negligible gap above 200 with the six/seven than you don’t need irons 3-5. But if there is a gap they continue to be useful.

I have gap in my club game that could benefit from have a 0 and -1 iron ha.

Reactions: Me
I haven't played in forever but I typically favored the odd numbered irons when I did. The exception was the 8 because I could get the distance that I got out of the 9 but with more control.

Ironically (sorry I had to) my favorite club is a 60-year-old iron listed as an 11 iron. It's actually what we call a sand wedge and it was my dad's when he played. I don't why I never been able to hit a newer SW better than that one but I love it and refuse to take it out of my bag.

Reactions: Me
jesus christ help him. Aren't you a golf instructor now?
he's a big hitter from the sound of it.

I need a 4 and 5 in my bag, but if he doesn't need them, he doesn't need them.

That was my only thought....where is the gap in your set? If you have no negligible gap above 200 with the six/seven than you don’t need irons 3-5. But if there is a gap they continue to be useful.

I have gap in my club game that could benefit from have a 0 and -1 iron ha.
if the "gap" is on the end of your yardages, it's harder to figure out.

my clubs are as such
8 - 140 yds
7 - 150 yds
6 - 160
5 - 175
4 - 180
5W - 200
3W - 200+

What do ya say, Tiger?

What do ya say, Tiger?
it's interesting that his 7 goes further than his 6...

also, it's all on a simulator, so not sure what to think about that...

he's a big hitter from the sound of it.

I need a 4 and 5 in my bag, but if he doesn't need them, he doesn't need them.
Apparently lofts have changed over the years. If I was playing an older set, I'd need to go up to 4

it's interesting that his 7 goes further than his 6...

also, it's all on a simulator, so not sure what to think about that...
Didn't see this before I posted my last message. My old clubs are almost 20 years old. Irons have changed a lot over that time.

Apparently lofts have changed over the years. If I was playing an older set, I'd need to go up to 4
I have always hit my 7 Iron 150, no matter what set I have used and I am on my 3rd set of irons.

what clubs are you using? Do you hit blades or full back irons? Stiff flex on the shaft?

what's you swing speed?

Looks like it’s not needed if your clubbing your irons that far. I never hit them as far as your simulator suggests but just I turned 50 and I gotta say I need a club down or 2 than I used too. I use my 5 all the time. Enjoy your distance while your young

I have always hit my 7 Iron 150, no matter what set I have used.

what clubs are you using? Do you hit blades or full back irons? Stiff flex on the shaft?

what's you swing speed?
I'm not good enough for blades. My current clubs are not really a brand name.... Technique Vortex. I am going to buy the Callaway Maverik irons, regular steel shaft. I'll have to get the club head speed from SA. She took the picture of the screen.

Looks like it’s not needed if your clubbing your irons that far. I never hit them as far as your simulator suggests but just I turned 50 and I gotta say I need a club down or 2 than I used too. I use my 5 all the time. Enjoy your distance while your young
No shit. I’ve never been a heavy hitter. But my 5 used to be good for about 170-175. Now it’s 150-155.

I’ve also watched my father (who’s always been a really good golfer) go south on distance. I used to ask what he hit and two clubs stronger. Now it’s almost the other way around.