Do you need a 5 iron?

I take out my Driver off the deck, hope I hit it clean, straight and on top of that rolls and extra 20 yards that I don't normally get.
I was raised by a regimental Marine and pure golf traditionalist (I’m lucky he lets us keep the pin in when on the green these days).

It was conditioned into....driver only on tee box. If you need more than iron on the deck you go 3W or hybrid.

Seriously....on a long par 5 I go to my bag for the 3W and can’t even let using driver cross my mind.

I do like the idea though.

I was raised by a regimental Marine and pure golf traditionalist (I’m lucky he lets us keep the pin in when on the green these days).

It was conditioned into....driver only on tee box. If you need more than iron on the deck you go 3W or hybrid.

Seriously....on a long par 5 I go to my bag for the 3W and can’t even let using driver cross my mind.

I do like the idea though.

I was being a bit facetious just saying how my distance wouldn't even be able to get the 250 yards, but depending on the lie, I will typicially go with a hybrid instead of my 3 wood. I'm just too inconsistent with it.

250 out on a Par 5 and I'll go 3 hybrid and aim to get within 60-70 yards of the hole. Chip up somewhere hopefully close and have a birdie attempt.

In my life I've only had probably 1 or 2 eagle attempts from the Green. It's all about course management for my game, lol.

I was being a bit facetious just saying how my distance wouldn't even be able to get the 250 yards, but depending on the lie, I will typicially go with a hybrid instead of my 3 wood. I'm just too inconsistent with it.

250 out on a Par 5 and I'll go 3 hybrid and aim to get within 60-70 yards of the hole. Chip up somewhere hopefully close and have a birdie attempt.

In my life I've only had probably 1 or 2 eagle attempts from the Green. It's all about course management for my game, lol.
Yeah....I just figured you play the game the way you want. It’s actually an instance that gave me a little envy.

I could see me trying driver one day and not hitting it square and just reinforcing all I was taught.

Even though I’m lucky if I hit my 3W square 4 times out of 10. I always get too worried about hitting the big ball (earth) before the little ball.

Take this with a grain of salt bc I really suck at golf, but my 5 iron is one of the only clubs I can hit lol. I use it all the time bc it's almost guaranteed 140-150 yards straight. Everything else is a crap shoot

tiger woods ex always went with the 9 iron.

Reactions: Me