Do you need a 5 iron?

Most mid to higher handicap players don’t have the swing speed or swing technique to really benefit from longer irons. I would highly recommend investing in hybrids however. You’ll simply have to far of a gap in distances to cover from 6i to 3w and 5w in a typical round from 200+ yards away. And with any wind in your face you’re not reaching greens from 190+ with a 6i, but your fairway woods will still be too much club to hit and don’t achieve the lofts you need to hold greens from shorter ranges.

Better players with higher swing speeds benefit still from 3,4, and 5 irons. You’re going to be able to flight those clubs at different trajectories versus hitting hybrids from longer distances. For example, down wind shots from 200+ yards require much higher apexes and spin to hold greens. So I’m going to send it high. But if the wind is in my face, then I’m going to opt for a flighted shot that’s low in trajectory with low spin. You can’t achieve much of these variations with hybrids. But to the higher handicapper who doesn’t play much, they don’t have the consistency or swing speed to pull these shots off. So they benefit from the design of a hybrid to maximize the consistency they’ll achieve from longer ranges.
bstow recommended a hybrid when I was talking to him the other day

bstow recommended a hybrid when I was talking to him the other day
Why would a young man need a hybrid? People need to learn how to hit their irons.

Reactions: ill
I trust whatever Sloopy says

Why would a young man need a hybrid? People need to learn how to hit their irons.
My son just bought some rescue clubs ... he is a beginner that first started playing late last fall ... and I tried to tell him to spend the money on lessons so he wouldn't need rescuing as much.

I use my 5 iron regularly. After that is my 4 hybrid and 3 wood.

I used to think the same way. I had a 4 hybrid and last summer I started using it I place of my 4 iron. Same distance as my 4 iron but straighter and more consistent. There is a 200 yard par 3 at my corse and my hybrid sticks it on the green almost every time

I’m actually hitting my 5 iron really well today. Who needs a 3 wood? Lol

I’m actually hitting my 5 iron really well today. Who needs a 3 wood? Lol
those are two very different clubs in my bag.

5 Iron goes about 175
3 Wood goes 230

those are two very different clubs in my bag.

5 Iron goes about 175
3 Wood goes 230
On that particular day my 5 iron was way longer than my 3 wood. Where I would normally be short I was sending the ball sailing way over the green.

on my course there is a par 5 where I will hit a 3wood off the tee and land just short of the water. Then 3 wood on my second shot gets me about 100 yards short of the green.

I decided to not be as aggressive with my second shot because (I suck hitting woods off the ground) and tend to top the ball and send it skipping into the water so I pulled my 5-iron instead. The ball almost hit the green.

something was going right because I have been hitting over the green a lot. I’ve gained about 30 yards on my irons over the summer with the practice drills I’ve been working on

Apparently lofts have changed over the years. If I was playing an older set, I'd need to go up to 4
Yes. Ever read Tom Wishon's book?

I have a set of Ben Hogan's from the mid-60's, and the lofts are about 3 clubs different from a modern set.

All the numbers on a club indicate to me is how far in the woods I will have to walk.

I guess if your 6 does 190 and the new ones are longer maybe you don’t need a 5.

My yard calibration is much lower so I need a full iron set.

Question.....you’re 250 from the green. What do you pull if you want to take a shot at reaching?

I take out my Driver off the deck, hope I hit it clean, straight and on top of that rolls and extra 20 yards that I don't normally get.

I bought a new set right before the lockdown hit. P790's and a full bag of Taylormade.

My bag right now:
SIM Driver
SIM 3 Wood
SIM 3 Hybrid
SIM 4 Hybrid
P-790 5-AW
54 SW
58 Hi-TOE W

I'm really short, so my distances are not all that great, but starting to get more consistent. Wasn't able to crack 90 and 4 out of my last 6 rounds I've broken 90, lowest being 83.

I plan for the following distances:

Driver - 240
3 Wood - 210
3 Hybrid - 190
4 Hybrid - 180
5 Iron - 170
6 Iron - 160
7 Iron - 150
8 Iron - 140
9 Iron - 130
PW - 120
AW - 110
SW - 90
Hi Toe - 75

It's good that you decided to take the advice of someone smarter and more experienced than you.
I didn't though...Sorry, sloop