Do you need a 5 iron?

Yardage gaps between clubs. It's a big deal.
Callaway Mavrick lofts.
Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie Offset (mm) Graphite Swing Weight Steel Swing Weight
#4 18° RH / LH 38.875" 60.50° 7.24 D1 D3
#5 21° RH / LH 38.25" 61.25° 6.93 D1 D3
#6 24° RH / LH 37.625" 62.00° 6.6 D1 D3
#7 27° RH / LH 37.00" 62.50° 6.3 D1 D3
#8 31.5° RH / LH 36.50" 63.00° 5.8 D1 D3
#9 36° RH / LH 36" 63.50° 5.3 D1 D3
PW 41° RH / LH 35.75" 64.00° 4.8 D1 D3
AW 46° RH / LH 35.50" 64.00° 4.3 D1 D3
GW 51° RH / LH 35.25" 64.00° 3.7 D1 D3
SW 56° RH / LH 35.00" 64.00° 3.2 D1 D3

You've got a 7 iron lofted like a 5 iron.

You're going to have a bigger distance gap between clubs than I do. This affects getting it close to the hole or even hitting the green.

Whatever, I know I'm doing no good here but at least I know I tried.
save your keystrokes

You guys take this shit to a World of Warcraft like nerd level.

yea, here's mine

I don't have a 3, there's no need. I had the G5's before this and those numbers were closer to your G20's, obviously.

View attachment 6658
Well fuck, I just went out to the shop and looked and I've got Ping G25 irons, not Ping G20 irons.
Shows how much I've played this summer.

Anyhow the lofts are the same.

Well fuck, I just went out to the shop and looked and I've got Ping G25 irons, not Ping G20 irons.
Shows how much I've played this summer.

Anyhow the lofts are the same.
I remember my G5's being super forgiving.

I gave them to a kid on my work golf team.

I remember my G5's being super forgiving.

I gave them to a kid on my work golf team.
Did you make him do anything for you?

I gave my neighbor kid at the work rv park my callaway forged irons, but he had to carry my washer dryer into my fifth wheel for me.
It was easy for him, I bet he benches 350.

Reactions: Me
Did you make him do anything for you?

I gave my neighbor kid at the work rv park my callaway forged irons, but he had to carry my washer dryer into my fifth wheel for me.
It was easy for him, I bet he benches 350.
nah.

he was using some 1990's blades and I wanted him to play better, so why not give him the clubs.

shit, maybe he'd do better than a 60 on 9 holes and help us win some...

he did not.

Went back and looked. I tried 3 different clubs. Those Callaways, some Mizunos, and a Taylor Made. The Callaways and Mizunos felt better. Mizuno lofts look to be one degree higher. So, not really that much of a difference.

Went back and looked. I tried 3 different clubs. Those Callaways, some Mizunos, and a Taylor Made. The Callaways and Mizunos felt better. Mizuno lofts look to be one degree higher. So, not really that much of a difference.
The Mavriks look like they are meant for old men who are trying to get yards back they are losing to age.

I heard the Mavrik clubs were named for John McCain.

who's dead.

The Mavriks look like they are meant for old men who are trying to get yards back they are losing to age.
My one pal on the first tee as I'm hitting a 3 hybrid to make sure I have 100 yards to the green for a full gap wedge, says "Yeah I went to the simulator at Dick's and my swing speed is still over 100!"
Hits it 40 yards past me with his driver.
Duffs 2 wedges, throws wedge.

End of day, he shoots 93, I shoot 76. He hands me money and we have a beer.

Most Forgiving Irons on the Market in 2019​

1. Taylormade M4 irons (best for all players over 12 handicap)
  2. Taylormade M6 irons (best high end set)
  3. Cleveland Launcher HB irons (most forgiving iron-hybrids ever)
  4. Callaway Mavrik irons (max game improvement irons that look like pro clubs)
  5. Cleveland Launcher CBX irons (sleek design with ultra forgiveness)
  6. Wilson Staff D7 irons (best for slow swing to get the ball higher)
  7. Cobra F8 irons (best for the technology and one-length option)
  8. Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (nothing feels like a Mizuno)

I heard the Mavrik clubs were named for John McCain.

who's dead.
I think they were named for Bret Maverick, who is a gambler and a shady one at that.

I think they were named for Bret Maverick, who is a gambler and a shady one at that.
I love that movie.

I heard they were named for Mark Cuban

who is an asshole.

5. Cleveland Launcher CBX irons(sleek design with ultra forgiveness)
so I guess the Mavs are pretty forgiving

5. Cleveland Launcher CBX irons(sleek design with ultra forgiveness)
I think I hit the TM SIM irons. They were definitely the worst of the three.

@Hang_On_Sloopy08 wouldn't ever steer me wrong

Most mid to higher handicap players don’t have the swing speed or swing technique to really benefit from longer irons. I would highly recommend investing in hybrids however. You’ll simply have to far of a gap in distances to cover from 6i to 3w and 5w in a typical round from 200+ yards away. And with any wind in your face you’re not reaching greens from 190+ with a 6i, but your fairway woods will still be too much club to hit and don’t achieve the lofts you need to hold greens from shorter ranges.

Better players with higher swing speeds benefit still from 3,4, and 5 irons. You’re going to be able to flight those clubs at different trajectories versus hitting hybrids from longer distances. For example, down wind shots from 200+ yards require much higher apexes and spin to hold greens. So I’m going to send it high. But if the wind is in my face, then I’m going to opt for a flighted shot that’s low in trajectory with low spin. You can’t achieve much of these variations with hybrids. But to the higher handicapper who doesn’t play much, they don’t have the consistency or swing speed to pull these shots off. So they benefit from the design of a hybrid to maximize the consistency they’ll achieve from longer ranges.

I have a friend who has a driving iron in his bag...I don't know if I see the point of it though...

They absolutely lethal clubs for lower handicap players and guys who send it far. They’re fairway finders for control and typically go 270+ yards for better players.

I play a 2H instead of a driving iron but same concept. If a course is playing hard and fast you can send a driving iron up to 280-300 yards. Tour players I know can punch those things 310+ with remarkable accuracy and forgiveness.

For the weekend golfer they’re kind of gimmicky since they’ll get much better distance and accuracy from a hybrid or fairway wood. But for tournament golfers that know how to use them they’re instrumental to how the game is played now and they’re clutch fairway finders when you need distance and accuracy off the tee.