Do you need a 5 iron?

it's actually a step down from a sand wedge.

it goes Gap -> Sand -> Approach -> Pitching

I think my PW is the least used club in my bag.

So a Gap is steeper than a SW?

Oh shit... Thought they were the same thing. I was mislead by the Google

A gap wedge and an approach wedge are the same thing.

In order of distance
pw, gw, sw, lw

Ill's post made me go check more. Some sites say they're the same. Some say different.
Both are around 52 degrees, they're the same thing. Companies just brand them different.

A gap wedge and an approach wedge are the same thing.

In order of distance
pw, gw, sw, lw
you're right. I got Gap and Lob mixed up.

Lob is below Sand

Ill's post made me go check more. Some sites say they're the same. Some say different.
I made a mistake. I meant Lob. Gap and Approach are the same.

Reactions: Me
You need a 5 iron.

Also get matching wedges, all 4 of them.

You need a 5 iron.

Also get matching wedges, all 4 of them.
I have a friend who has a driving iron in his bag...I don't know if I see the point of it though...

I have a friend who has a driving iron in his bag...I don't know if I see the point of it though...
Another gadget.
Like the amazing chipper, which is a putter with a lofted face.

People are always willing to throw money at anything to avoid learning how to actually play the game.

Another gadget.
Like the amazing chipper, which is a putter with a lofted face.

People are always willing to throw money at anything to avoid learning how to actually play the game.
the chipper-putter.

I have a coworker who uses one of those in his bag because he doesn't know how to hit a chip around the green with his wedges

I like to chip off the fringe with my 7 iron unless I'm close to the hole. Just works for me.

Reactions: Me
I finally looked into a little more. It's cementing my decision.

The 6 iron is 24 degrees, which is about what a 4 iron was back in 2000. I very rarely would ever hit my 3 iron now, so fuck a 5

I finally looked into a little more. It's cementing my decision.

The 6 iron is 24 degrees, which is about what a 4 iron was back in 2000. I very rarely would ever hit my 3 iron now, so fuck a 5
I'd run away from those clubs as fast as I could.
Here's the chart on my lofts, my 6 iron is 29 degrees. The only reason to have a 24 degree 6 iron is so you can stick out your chest and say "I hit my 6 iron xxxx yards" It's not going to lead to good golf.
1602527897096.png

Here's the chart on my lofts, my 6 iron is 29 degrees. The only reason to have a 24 degree 6 iron is so you can stick out your chest and say "I hit my 6 iron xxxx yards" It's not going to lead to good golf.
View attachment 6650
All it would mean is I use a different club at different distances. So your set starts with a 3. Mine would start with a 6. As long as you know which club hits which distance, who cares?

View attachment 6650
yea, here's mine

I don't have a 3, there's no need. I had the G5's before this and those numbers were closer to your G20's, obviously.

1602528493620.png

All it would mean is I use a different club at different distances. So your set starts with a 3. Mine would start with a 6. As long as you know which club hits which distance, who cares?
Yardage gaps between clubs. It's a big deal.
Callaway Mavrick lofts.
Name Loft Availability Standard Length Lie Offset (mm) Graphite Swing Weight Steel Swing Weight
#4 18° RH / LH 38.875" 60.50° 7.24 D1 D3
#5 21° RH / LH 38.25" 61.25° 6.93 D1 D3
#6 24° RH / LH 37.625" 62.00° 6.6 D1 D3
#7 27° RH / LH 37.00" 62.50° 6.3 D1 D3
#8 31.5° RH / LH 36.50" 63.00° 5.8 D1 D3
#9 36° RH / LH 36" 63.50° 5.3 D1 D3
PW 41° RH / LH 35.75" 64.00° 4.8 D1 D3
AW 46° RH / LH 35.50" 64.00° 4.3 D1 D3
GW 51° RH / LH 35.25" 64.00° 3.7 D1 D3
SW 56° RH / LH 35.00" 64.00° 3.2 D1 D3

You've got a 7 iron lofted like a 5 iron.

You're going to have a bigger distance gap between clubs than I do. This affects getting it close to the hole or even hitting the green.

Whatever, I know I'm doing no good here but at least I know I tried.