Washington Huskies First Thread Goes to UW

Jesus, you guys couldn’t beat Michigan.

Nice to see you all here. I initially said to @Mcnabb7542 I'd probably stick with SportsHoopla, but if ya'll are here I'll probably be here to stay.
Why do these things have to come down to an either/or? I really don't get the whole site war thing.

Why do these things have to come down to an either/or? I really don't get the whole site war thing.
I don't really care tbh. I just want to post where it's most active.

I will say I logged into SportsHoopla today and the site changes look really bad.

Well see that's the best part, you don't have to play along with the "war games" you can just post on threads you enjoy posting on and let the children play their war games

So football is going to happen now. There's that.

So is this a "pass of season" for Jimmy if they don't win?
Or does he need to come out and win now?

So is this a "pass of season" for Jimmy if they don't win?
Or does he need to come out and win now?
This is such a fucked up year in so many ways that I'm not sure how any team can deeply scrutinize their staff on any results this year.

While I'm glad we are at least going to try to start up a short season, I'm still not convinced it's going to actually happen. At least not all games. I think the second wave of Covid at some point shuts it down and likely by Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter at the latest.

I honestly think UW has as good of a chance as anyone just because everyone is going to be off of their routine. Talent, or lack of talent gaps, will be the key more than coaching IMO.

As for Lake specifically, even if this had been a 'normal' season and his team sputtered I wouldn't expect they would shit can him after one season.

I would look more at recruiting than wins early on. They finished last year around 17th in class ranking and are around 26th at the moment. He doesn't have Petersen's name recognition so some sort of drop may be understandable, but it can't slip too far. Shore up that class and finish around the low 20's and I'd say he's pretty safe. For now.

This is such a fucked up year in so many ways that I'm not sure how any team can deeply scrutinize their staff on any results this year.

While I'm glad we are at least going to try to start up a short season, I'm still not convinced it's going to actually happen. At least not all games. I think the second wave of Covid at some point shuts it down and likely by Thanksgiving or shortly thereafter at the latest.

I honestly think UW has as good of a chance as anyone just because everyone is going to be off of their routine. Talent, or lack of talent gaps, will be the key more than coaching IMO.

As for Lake specifically, even if this had been a 'normal' season and his team sputtered I wouldn't expect they would shit can him after one season.

I would look more at recruiting than wins early on. They finished last year around 17th in class ranking and are around 26th at the moment. He doesn't have Petersen's name recognition so some sort of drop may be understandable, but it can't slip too far. Shore up that class and finish around the low 20's and I'd say he's pretty safe. For now.
I came in to ask everyone if I'm the only one who isn't going to take this season all that seriously.

Even before the COVID shit happened, I felt like this year would be a step back. We lost a number of significant contributors via the draft and graduation, and we would be breaking in a new QB - one with no college football experience (unless you believe Kevin Thomson would win the job). Those concerns have only been compounded by the fact that Joe Tryon and Levi Onwuzurike decided to declare for the NFL draft.

In the end I think this could actually be a blessing in disguise for us. I personally see this season as a meaningless season, and/or one that will have a giant asterisk attached to it. This could give us the opportunity to see what we have at QB and get some young guys some playing experience so they're ready for 2021.

I can't be alone in the fact that I essentially see this as a preseason for 2021 in so many words. Obviously I will still root for us to win every game, but I don't think I'd be taking it as seriously as a regular season, which kind of goes back to you mentioning that the key will be coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players may not be all-in, but if Lake can get them to play well - I think that will be a big boost of confidence in the coaching staff.

I see we’re all real jazzed to get this season started today.

I see we’re all real jazzed to get this season started today.

I think they are all posting on the other site since Regent is still there

But yes to answer your question fired up for the season to start finally!

So that was an interesting opening night.
They rolled Morris out there at QB and I thought he looked pretty good.
The running game is going to be huge for this offense, and with all these talented backs why not it makes total sense.

Defense needs some work, LB's failed in the running game at times last night. They are suppose to be the scrappers off blocks and to make the tackles, they got caught up in the wash way to much, need to be better in that area.

Stoked for this new power offense look. Gotta think the defense will get their shit together.

1) Inslee announced his new restrictions, and when it was asked about Seahawks/Huskies/Cougs, his response was no changes for them at this time. They go through rigorous protocols so they are exempt from 'new restrictions'. At least there's that.

2) As I put in the game thread, I'm not worried about either the offense or defense after game 1. New HC, new offense, frosh QB in first action, lots of new faces on both sides of the ball, no spring camp at all, few start/stops as the league tried to get their shit together, letdown from missing out on game 1, etc...

I liked what they did in both trenches. OSU is a strong running team and while they got bit a few times, missed a few tackles in that first half, etc, I thought they came back fairly strong in the second half. They shut them out for that half, granted partially because of a couple of questionable ball spots down near our goal line, but still. Some of those angles, tackling, etc I'll just chalk up to game 1 rust and newness of taking live fire again. I'll remind you they put up 229 rushing yards on the cougs in week 1. They had a week under their belt and that's huge this year.

I loved the diversity of run plays and looks they put out. It wasn't just a plain old downhill predictable run game. They had a lot of layers and sophistication to the run and looked pretty good doing it. Granted, against the beavs, but still. Morris kept drives alive with passes when needed and didn't make any glaring mistakes. That's a heck of a game 1 no matter who the opponent was.

3) THE FUCKING SPECIAL TEAMS :gaah: Cost them at least 10 points directly and allowing all those huge kickoff returns gave shorter fields that also led to points that make the D look worse than it should. That is my only real worry coming out of this game. Get the long snapping fixed and get the kids dialed up on kickoffs. FFS

UW 11.5pt favorites this week against Zona.

Line kind of feels a bit high to me, but I could see a few scenarios where they could cover so no chance I'm taking action on this one.

I'd expect another fairly conservative run heavy offensive gameplan. I also expect to see a lot more passing from the wildcats. Good test of that secondary before the AC. You know they are capable of getting some turnovers and big plays on that unit.

Still, wouldn't be surprised to see a win that doesn't cover. Especially if the special teams are still special ed this week.

Good to see Puka with a big play, but it should not pass without saying that he again dropped very catchable balls this game just like last week.

Big play potential, but can you trust him on 3rd downs?

Good to see Puka with a big play, but it should not pass without saying that he again dropped very catchable balls this game just like last week.

Big play potential, but can you trust him on 3rd downs?

I've actually been really surprised by the drops we've seen from our WRs. Based on everything I had seen on tape, most of the guys dropping these passes never have had an issue with drops before, albeit that is mostly predicated on HS tape. With Morris I can't blame the drops on velocity like I did with Jacob Eason - which even then was a stretch argument.

UW 11.5pt favorites this week against Zona.

Line kind of feels a bit high to me, but I could see a few scenarios where they could cover so no chance I'm taking action on this one.

I'd expect another fairly conservative run heavy offensive gameplan. I also expect to see a lot more passing from the wildcats. Good test of that secondary before the AC. You know they are capable of getting some turnovers and big plays on that unit.

Still, wouldn't be surprised to see a win that doesn't cover. Especially if the special teams are still special ed this week.
After the showing against Oregon State, I honestly was expecting there could be a possibility we lose that game. Based on the play calling, I was given the impression that the reason for all the run calls was that they had no confidence in the pass game - not just because run defense was an OSU weakness.

That being said, (I will probably regret saying this) but I've been impressed with the offensive game plan so far. Arizona was clearly playing the run hard and had the assumption I had that this will be a completely run heavy team, but I was pleasantly surprised with the balance we showed and although I normally hate the HB by committee approach, it seems to be quite effective.

It has been only two games against relatively weak opponents, but I really like what I saw from Dylan Morris against Arizona. He went 15/25 passing, but it seemed like the 10 incompletions were mostly the product of either drops or deep pass attempts that were overthrown. I could be overly optimistic, but I feel like the drops won't continue given the talent we have at WR and the overthrows on deep balls won't be as much of an issue once Morris develops a better feel for his WRs. If the first team reps were really split up as much as the coaches have told us, Morris likely hasn't had that much time to develop a connection with his WRs.