Washington Huskies First Thread Goes to UW

Let's talk new head coach:

Firing Donavon this late is so CYA just cause you know its coming :

Wilcox : I think he would pull stakes down at Cal to come home. He recruits well here in state and the defense would improve quickly.

Campbell: I think would leave IS since they aren't going to get any better in that conference. I mean maybe with Okie and Texas bouncing to the SEC they might have a chance but recruiting in that area has to be tough.

Finkle: Cincy has to play that at large bid every year, I know he's an Ohio guy but UW struck gold many many decades ago swiping a Kent St coach.

Baldwin: Been down at Cal Poly for three years now and I just feel if you want to go offensive minded coach this guy is it. He builds good stable programs and can get kids motivated and playing with a purpose
Well Wilner says there's less than a 10% chance Lake is still with the team next Monday. Will fire sometime after this weeks games.
He also believes Wilcox is the leading candidate in his mind.

@TheDayMan I hear what you're saying about Wilcox, but Wilner pointed out that he has built a reasonable team considering how much his hands are tied down there. The academic requirements, inability to grab kids from the transfer portal because of them, the almost loathing of much of the student body about football, not much support from the top, etc. Says he's getting pretty tired of that climate and thinks he's looking for a way out.

Would Wilcox be a flashy hire? Not really, but at least he's been a head coach, knows UW and the culture, knows a fuck ton more now about the recruiting grounds in Cali and has certainly matured enough to not try a punt down 8 in a rivalry game with under 2 mins to go. So there's that.

Well Wilner says there's less than a 10% chance Lake is still with the team next Monday. Will fire sometime after this weeks games.

@TheDayMan I hear what you're saying about Wilcox, but Wilner pointed out that he has built a reasonable team considering how much his hands are tied down there. The academic requirements, inability to grab kids from the transfer portal because of them, the almost loathing of much of the student body about football, not much support from the top, etc. Says he's getting pretty tired of that climate and thinks he's looking for a way out.

Would Wilcox be a flashy hire? Not really, but at least he's been a head coach, knows UW and the culture, knows a fuck ton more now about the recruiting grounds in Cali and has certainly matured enough to not try a punt down 8 in a rivalry game with under 2 mins to go. So there's that.
If that’s the move so be it. It’s a move, and that’s all I really want at the end of the day.

And it’d piss OD off.

I’ve had about enough of the people who for some baffling reason want to keep Lake comparing his record to Petersen’s first two years… How dumb do you have to be to think that has any relevance? Really dumb…

I’ve had about enough of the people who for some baffling reason want to keep Lake comparing his record to Petersen’s first two years… How dumb do you have to be to think that has any relevance? Really dumb…
He blew most of his grace for being a young coach when he lost to Montana. That isn't something you just dismiss or blow off on a young coach.

Still, it was pretty widely thought he would be retained and given another year unless he had some major issue.

Well, he had a major issue. And it's not just because he lost to the ducks. Nor pushing his player. His pretty stupid comments ahead of the game were a major embarrassment for the university staff. The two schools actually have common academic interests and both presidents work together. That alone was another death nail.

He's not sitting on the doorstep of the unemployment line because of his overall win/loss record. He's just made too many embarrassing blunders. He's an overall nice guy and a strong defensive leader, but he needs some time at the G5 or D2 level to mature as a HC if that's still going to be a thing ahead for him.

He blew most of his grace for being a young coach when he lost to Montana. That isn't something you just dismiss or blow off on a young coach.

Still, it was pretty widely thought he would be retained and given another year unless he had some major issue.

Well, he had a major issue. And it's not just because he lost to the ducks. Nor pushing his player. His pretty stupid comments ahead of the game were a major embarrassment for the university staff. The two schools actually have common academic interests and both presidents work together. That alone was another death nail.

He's not sitting on the doorstep of the unemployment line because of his overall win/loss record. He's just made too many embarrassing blunders. He's an overall nice guy and a strong defensive leader, but he needs some time at the G5 or D2 level to mature as a HC if that's still going to be a thing ahead for him.
All of that. It’s like he is just oblivious to how his comments or actions are perceived. The attempted oregon jab I’m sure was just supposed to be a light hearted rivalry week thing, but Jesus… figure it out dude. It’s not that he “hit” a kid, it’s that they’ve been having those undisciplined penalties all year, which is on him to begin with, then he responds with the same kind of out of control emotional reaction he was pissed about. And we’ve barely even mentioned recruiting in all of this.

As far as the record goes, even if it was just that his seat should absolutely be feeling really hot, Petersen’s comparable record came when he was completely rebuilding the program and culture surrounding it, Lake took over the program and culture he helped build with the guarantee he’d keep it going. He doesn’t get that same cushion, at least not in the same way.

Also, if the Kraken could finally get their shit together that’d be cool. They’ve clearly got some potential, feels like they’re just permanently on the cusp of going on a tear but falling short. They were looking strong for 1 19/20ths periods tonight.

Also, if the Kraken could finally get their shit together that’d be cool. They’ve clearly got some potential, feels like they’re just permanently on the cusp of going on a tear but falling short. They were looking strong for 1 19/20ths periods tonight.
Yeah, they gave up two quick goals in the 3rd, but it is really their backup goalies first game and it's still a team trying to find some rhythm with each other as new lines.
The talent is there. The goals will come. It's better to have this new team to grow with than be stuck with nothing but the steaming pile of shit that is football and even college basketball in this town. Think the Dawgs are about to lose to NIU or some shit?

lol mens basketball team lost to a team that went 3-16 last year.

Cohen has to be sweating hard at this point. Neither of her high value hires are worth a piss at this point.

There was a poll on Twitter to gauge the interest in Dawg fans about Wilcox being the target . Of course the vote was a hard no, and me personally I would love to see a clean break of the CP coaching tree, but this one makes sense and for all the right reasons. He knows the program, he knows the PNW plus Cali like you said. But he's already shown he can do wonders with a program that isn't backed by the administration.

With the transfer portal and his craft in recruiting I think he could turn this around a lot quicker 4 years.

There was a poll on Twitter to gauge the interest in Dawg fans about Wilcox being the target . Of course the vote was a hard no, and me personally I would love to see a clean break of the CP coaching tree, but this one makes sense and for all the right reasons. He knows the program, he knows the PNW plus Cali like you said. But he's already shown he can do wonders with a program that isn't backed by the administration.

With the transfer portal and his craft in recruiting I think he could turn this around a lot quicker 4 years.
I’d say he’s pretty far removed from the Petersen coaching tree at this point. Or, at least he wouldn’t really be a hire trying to recapture the Petersen program at UW.

I stand by my original post on it, but have warmed up a little to the idea. Think they could do better and worse, but it’s not without potential. And would at least be something not terrible.

I’d say he’s pretty far removed from the Petersen coaching tree at this point. Or, at least he wouldn’t really be a hire trying to recapture the Petersen program at UW.

I stand by my original post on it, but have warmed up a little to the idea. Think they could do better and worse, but it’s not without potential. And would at least be something not terrible.
Petros brought up a good point though. Wilcox has kind of wiffed at least on his two major OC hires. His program has overall overachieved to a point given the shitty Cal bullshit, but Garbers is probably better than their offense has shown.

I don't know who should be hired, but at this point can we trust Cohen to make a big and bold hire? Or is she playing checkers on a chess board?

Petros brought up a good point though. Wilcox has kind of wiffed at least on his two major OC hires. His program has overall overachieved to a point given the shitty Cal bullshit, but Garbers is probably better than their offense has shown.

I don't know who should be hired, but at this point can we trust Cohen to make a big and bold hire? Or is she playing checkers on a chess board?
I haven’t turned on her yet (it helps that I just don’t care about basketball, probably). As long as she makes a move by the end of the year and does something, I’ll give it until we see what happens with her next hire.

I'll be going to the pledge on Sat. First Kraken game/trip to the new arena.

Haven't been to a Husky game in 3 years.

OC hires are a crap shoot. End of the day is can you hire a guy that will adjust to what the defense is going to give up. This game has evolved so much the last 5 years.
Defense gives you certain areas on the field. The "norm" now is take away the deep stuff and play the run. Any OC that doesn't believe in his own BS will adjust and take what the defense is giving with build a very solid running game.

Personally I believe there is a huge difference in getting kids to come to UW over Cal even with the current climate. There is really no other choice out there, Wilcox can draw talent and take advantage of that .

Looks like Huard and Morris split reps in practice this week. If this is going to be a loss anyway, just get reps in with the backups and see what they might have to add for next year.

It’s almost like one, maybe two variables have been holding them back this year…

Listened to the first half on my way to the pledge. Sounded like I heard most of the offense lol.
Didn't see how bad Morris' pick 6 to seal it was, but did see more talk on the need to start Huard next week on twitter after the game.

Does Lake get fired tomorrow or monday? Or is he still on the payroll through the end of the season?

There's no doubt the OC was holding this offense back, but also no doubt Morris is at his ceiling and it's a fairly low one.

Listened to the first half on my way to the pledge. Sounded like I heard most of the offense lol.
Didn't see how bad Morris' pick 6 to seal it was, but did see more talk on the need to start Huard next week on twitter after the game.

Does Lake get fired tomorrow or monday? Or is he still on the payroll through the end of the season?

There's no doubt the OC was holding this offense back, but also no doubt Morris is at his ceiling and it's a fairly low one.

They might as well run the last two weeks with Lake then fire the whole staff after the season.
Piss poor tackling, shitty blocking and poor pass routes are the culture created by a coaching staff.

Clean house and get Jen down to Berkley to bring Justin home. WSU gave the Ducks another quality game again, This is BS.
Im tired of this waste of talent and letting in state guys get away.

Rough season....I feel your pain.

Front page story in the Times today about Lake throwing Pounds into a locker a couple years ago. Can we not wait until the end of the season to shitcan him please?…