Washington Huskies First Thread Goes to UW

When you watch your team shit themselves against a team that has lost 18 straight
Season 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

And the starting QB got knocked out with a bloody nose lol.

Everyone in this town wanted to see Huard, well here it is. Hope it works out.

And now a kid carted off on a stretcher.

It just gets better and better.

What a god damn waste of a season!

Maybe they should stay off social media for a while and focus on actually getting good on the field instead of talking about it...
It’s not this season I’m worried about. We’ve seen this downward spiral before.

They would have to win 3 of their last 5 to be bowl eligible.
@Stanford, Oregon, ASU, @Colorado, and the AC at home.

Maybe one win out of that somewhere?

Sure, the fucked up retarded media in this area is going to be talking about what a gritty, but ugly win that was and will pay minor lip service to how many glaring issues there are. Yet nothing is going to keep the narrative from going as negative as it should when they end up with the worst record since Willingham. They would have to win 2 to match Sark's first year in '09. Even 2 of those 5 is a tall order.

Again, I can't put anything right now on Cohen. I've seen pissed off fans calling for her to be fired as well, but why? She promoted Lake, but he was an up and coming HC candidate with lots of buzz. She got blindsided with Petersen's departure and Lake was more than just the easy replacement. It wasn't splashy, but it wasn't crazy either.

We will now get to see what she is about. She's not Hedges who wasn't football first and never pretended to be. She's a life-long Husky football honk. Anything less than a complete aggressive rebuild of the coaching staff is just not acceptable. Whether or not that includes Lake I don't know. I'm ready to move on and find a more established HC, but not sure she will be. Both coordinators and most of the position staff have to turnover.

I know most don't feel she will let Lake go, but if the recruiting is also down it has to be a harder decision than people are giving credit for.

In this new era of NIL and money flow, you cannot afford to let a multi year gap form. Can't have an even deeper hole to climb out of.

They would have to win 3 of their last 5 to be bowl eligible.
@Stanford, Oregon, ASU, @Colorado, and the AC at home.

Maybe one win out of that somewhere?

Sure, the fucked up retarded media in this area is going to be talking about what a gritty, but ugly win that was and will pay minor lip service to how many glaring issues there are. Yet nothing is going to keep the narrative from going as negative as it should when they end up with the worst record since Willingham. They would have to win 2 to match Sark's first year in '09. Even 2 of those 5 is a tall order.

Again, I can't put anything right now on Cohen. I've seen pissed off fans calling for her to be fired as well, but why? She promoted Lake, but he was an up and coming HC candidate with lots of buzz. She got blindsided with Petersen's departure and Lake was more than just the easy replacement. It wasn't splashy, but it wasn't crazy either.

We will now get to see what she is about. She's not Hedges who wasn't football first and never pretended to be. She's a life-long Husky football honk. Anything less than a complete aggressive rebuild of the coaching staff is just not acceptable. Whether or not that includes Lake I don't know. I'm ready to move on and find a more established HC, but not sure she will be. Both coordinators and most of the position staff have to turnover.

I know most don't feel she will let Lake go, but if the recruiting is also down it has to be a harder decision than people are giving credit for.

In this new era of NIL and money flow, you cannot afford to let a multi year gap form. Can't have an even deeper hole to climb out of.
Agree 100%. Cohen is fine at this point. Better than fine… she brought Petersen and promoting Lake seemed a pretty obvious choice at the time. Maybe not everyone was thrilled, because everyone never is, but I recall the solid majority being at least content with that hire. You assume you’re getting one of the better defensive coaches in the game who’s been tuteled by Petersen for years.

Turns out he doesn’t have his shit together for the head job… that’s not on her. If she doesn’t make sure there’s some sweeping changes at the end of the year, at the very least, then you can sour on her. But not at this point.

Having said that, I’m in the camp who doesn’t think she’ll let him go this year… I think that’s the move, but my guess is she lets him make some changes. I think the writing’s on the wall, but that’s the way I see it going. And if that is the case I’m still okay with it, as long as she makes the move mid season next year as soon as it’s clear his shit isn’t together, still.

For real though… this isn’t the most stacked team of ever, but there’s definitely enough talent for there just being no excuse for this level of suckage. And the coach is a guy who’s been with the program for years, has been recruiting for years, there’s just no reasonable excuse.

For real though… this isn’t the most stacked team of ever, but there’s definitely enough talent for there just being no excuse for this level of suckage. And the coach is a guy who’s been with the program for years, has been recruiting for years, there’s just no reasonable excuse.
Yeah, the reason I'm soured on Lake is he's the f'n HC and there is zero signs of improvement. His QB's are not advancing, his D can't stop the run on any team, even when they know exactly where the run is going to go. His offense looks like a 13y/o playing madden for the first time. It's very basic and way too many plays ran that have very little chances of success.

Yeah, he's not an offensive guy, but he's a HC. He HAS to DEMAND more. He has to hold his staff accountable and press for changes. It doesn't feel from the outside like that is happening.

They have faced injuries, but what football team doesn't? They had one of the most experienced O lines in the conf going into the year and can't find any kind of running game? They have Otton and a couple of other real pass weapons and spend whole quarters failing to even try to run a play that goes to them. Morris is probably near his ceiling as it is and isn't very good. With a season you aren't going to reach a bowl the 'best thing for your team' isn't the short play. Get your next year guys out there in the spots that give them development chances.

Lake said the plan going into the game was to get Huard out there for one possession? And that just happened to come when Morris had a bloody nose? So that was all planned. Sure.

Burned a game for one series.

Give him at least a full quarter against Stanford, no matter what the score is. Make it the second quarter if you are still pretending you are playing for something this season.

Yeah, the reason I'm soured on Lake is he's the f'n HC and there is zero signs of improvement. His QB's are not advancing, his D can't stop the run on any team, even when they know exactly where the run is going to go. His offense looks like a 13y/o playing madden for the first time. It's very basic and way too many plays ran that have very little chances of success.

Yeah, he's not an offensive guy, but he's a HC. He HAS to DEMAND more. He has to hold his staff accountable and press for changes. It doesn't feel from the outside like that is happening.

They have faced injuries, but what football team doesn't? They had one of the most experienced O lines in the conf going into the year and can't find any kind of running game? They have Otton and a couple of other real pass weapons and spend whole quarters failing to even try to run a play that goes to them. Morris is probably near his ceiling as it is and isn't very good. With a season you aren't going to reach a bowl the 'best thing for your team' isn't the short play. Get your next year guys out there in the spots that give them development chances.

Lake said the plan going into the game was to get Huard out there for one possession? And that just happened to come when Morris had a bloody nose? So that was all planned. Sure.

Burned a game for one series.

Give him at least a full quarter against Stanford, no matter what the score is. Make it the second quarter if you are still pretending you are playing for something this season.
The Huard thing is so frustrating. Like, I get it, your job is gonna be on the line at some point here which has to be some strong motivation to try to get wins… but what a waste. I swear to god if they end up burning his redshirt, I’m done until he’s gone. I know it seems like they’d never do that, but I have no confidence in this staff to not do the dumbest shit possible at this point.

The Huard thing is so frustrating. Like, I get it, your job is gonna be on the line at some point here which has to be some strong motivation to try to get wins… but what a waste. I swear to god if they end up burning his redshirt, I’m done until he’s gone. I know it seems like they’d never do that, but I have no confidence in this staff to not do the dumbest shit possible at this point.

The Huard thing is easy to see, they aren't going to put him out there behind a suspect oline. Kid would get killed.
That oline is the major disappointment, Steele had that unit as the best oline in the country and they sure dont look like it

I honestly thought if they lost down in Arizona Lake wouldn't survive this week.
They got to get things trending up here, I don't know how many scholarships they have this year but they really haven't had many kids posting on social media about visits.
If they are going to fix this quickly that transfer portal should be used like an ATM machine this off season.

I honestly thought if they lost down in Arizona Lake wouldn't survive this week.
They got to get things trending up here, I don't know how many scholarships they have this year but they really haven't had many kids posting on social media about visits.
If they are going to fix this quickly that transfer portal should be used like an ATM machine this off season.
There is nearly no chance Lake is gone, even if they lose out. His staff though has to be changed even if they have a few more wins in them.
Millen was at the zona game and on the sideline. He said it's like the kids are all checked out. Feels like they are coaching not to lose kids in the transfer portal. Afraid to be tough on them. Kids sitting with body language that they were not listening or caring about their position coaches while they were talking to them. Said there are no leaders among the players. No fire. There's no heart basically.

Now we all know Millen can be a total tard, but we've all seen a lack of caring about bad play. They just aren't fired up to do anything about it.

As for the TP, every damned team is fishing in that same pond in the off season. It's not like Lake is going to find a bunch of diamonds in the rough that all pop with every other team also picking from the same lot.

And it doesn't matter how many you bring in if you can't get your coaches to stop acting scared and just fucking coach. Verbally belt a kid when they need it and build them up when it's called for.

Lake is clearly in over his head and not finding his way back over his skis, but I doubt Cohen fires him for it. That is, unless he refuses to fire his OC and a few position coaches at the very least. Young coaches need more brain power around them than he has so it's not entirely fair to say he can't cut it.

The thing is, they can't take as long to correct it as they did with Sark/Holt. The game has changed too much to allow years to go by without fixing major problems. NIL and the TP have changed things to where fast fixes are the only way to keep from dropping hard.

OT, but it was nice to watch the Kraken get their first home win and dominate a team. Been a long time since we had an alternative to distract us when both major football teams were sucking major ass lol.

OT, but it was nice to watch the Kraken get their first home win and dominate a team. Been a long time since we had an alternative to distract us when both major football teams were sucking major ass lol.
Pretty clear why the mariners wanted nothing to do with a Seattle hockey team 😂. Hockey is one of the most fun sports to watch, if they can string some wins together people who weren’t already on board with the team will check it out and get sucked in hard, it’ll be more than just a good distraction when everyone else sucks.

Doubt UW even makes a game of it against a lackluster Stanford team. But these guys...

Kraken GIF by ROOT SPORTS

Let's talk new head coach:

Firing Donavon this late is so CYA just cause you know its coming :

Wilcox : I think he would pull stakes down at Cal to come home. He recruits well here in state and the defense would improve quickly.

Campbell: I think would leave IS since they aren't going to get any better in that conference. I mean maybe with Okie and Texas bouncing to the SEC they might have a chance but recruiting in that area has to be tough.

Finkle: Cincy has to play that at large bid every year, I know he's an Ohio guy but UW struck gold many many decades ago swiping a Kent St coach.

Baldwin: Been down at Cal Poly for three years now and I just feel if you want to go offensive minded coach this guy is it. He builds good stable programs and can get kids motivated and playing with a purpose

Let's talk new head coach:

Firing Donavon this late is so CYA just cause you know its coming :

Wilcox : I think he would pull stakes down at Cal to come home. He recruits well here in state and the defense would improve quickly.

Campbell: I think would leave IS since they aren't going to get any better in that conference. I mean maybe with Okie and Texas bouncing to the SEC they might have a chance but recruiting in that area has to be tough.

Finkle: Cincy has to play that at large bid every year, I know he's an Ohio guy but UW struck gold many many decades ago swiping a Kent St coach.

Baldwin: Been down at Cal Poly for three years now and I just feel if you want to go offensive minded coach this guy is it. He builds good stable programs and can get kids motivated and playing with a purpose
Wilcox is just so not exciting to me (side note, having a great defense year in and out has been awesome, but we had like one, maybe two years where the offense has been exciting that whole time. I’ve always loved defense, been a defense first type, but god damn, I’m just ready for some points, it’s just so painful). But anyway, I also haven’t been super impressed with Wilcox at cal. I know it’s cal, and he’s stable enough, but meh…

The Cincy guy sounds pretty cool though.