Washington Huskies First Thread Goes to UW

I want to see it play with him and Huard.
Huard sucked this year for the simple reasons of :

No Blocking
Receivers couldn't catch
And the playcalling/ schemes sucked even for high school ball
I don't know how Huard is because they entirely fucked up how and when to use him.

But yes, Haener playing next year would be solid because he already knows this high powered offense and can bring along the rest of the guys with him. Jake was never a super high level QB, but he's way ahead of anything we had this year.

Remember when Haener’s first game was like Huard’s this year?

Remember when Haener’s first game was like Huard’s this year?
He's obviously improved, but still has some of the issues we had problems with. The difference is he joined a staff that knows how to play offensive football. They played to his strengths and worked away from his weaknesses. You know, like real football coaches do.

I mean the fresno people are kind of pissed at him and I can't say I don't blame them. Haener bailed before their bowl game even lol. I mean that's kind of messed up.
Jake is on at least one list as the 7th biggest name in the portal right now.
I don't think he's actually committed yet, just a lot of noise. Someone else could sweep him up.
Kind of torn on him as it is. He probably brings viability to the O immediately given his familiarity with DeBoers offense, but I'm sure they could get Huard up to speed by opening day next season.

The whole thing is just stupid. But we knew the transfer portal stuff would be stupid. Kid bails because he couldn’t win the starting job, then wants (allegedly) to graduate transfer back when the coach he played for lands the job.

I get it, how nice for the coach to have his QB who knows his system his first year, but the irony of Haener now being the Eason that sent him packing to begin with…

This shit led to, or at least helped lead to, our QB situation being so fucked right now to begin with. I say fuck it, go all in with Huard, accept that we should expect it to be a 2014/2015 kind of year, and know that’s okay, build towards something, recruit, bring in some younger transfers for depth.

But god damn… is Jake “I’m gonna transfer” Haener really who we want leading the team when we got the Huard potential sitting there needing experience?

Well, tell me if there is any real chance they vie for the north next year. If the answer is there is some decent chance then yes, bring in Jake. He knows the system and has been clutch in big games for DeBoer.

If that answer is no then take a hard pass on Jake.

I watched Sam when he was at Kennedy and he has a hell of an arm. Like a rifle. And he throws a mean deep ball.

Just like Jake though, he isn't very tall and not really breaking any games open with his legs. Sam is going to have to rely on his blocking and receivers more than a mobile QB would.

Well, tell me if there is any real chance they vie for the north next year. If the answer is there is some decent chance then yes, bring in Jake. He knows the system and has been clutch in big games for DeBoer.

If that answer is no then take a hard pass on Jake.

I watched Sam when he was at Kennedy and he has a hell of an arm. Like a rifle. And he throws a mean deep ball.

Just like Jake though, he isn't very tall and not really breaking any games open with his legs. Sam is going to have to rely on his blocking and receivers more than a mobile QB would.
No coach or team is ever gonna say they aren’t competing for championships and doing what they feel gives them the best chance of winning now (unless it’s the Mariners :facepalm:). But let’s be real, do we really want a one off kid who already had his chance here just because it might make a smoother transition? Especially when considering all your eggs are in one basket considering long term at that position at this point? Go with the guy you already have, he has to be the future if you don’t want to get locked into relying on the transfer portal or one off graduate transfers for the foreseeable future. Get him learning on the job.

No coach or team is ever gonna say they aren’t competing for championships and doing what they feel gives them the best chance of winning now (unless it’s the Mariners :facepalm:). But let’s be real, do we really want a one off kid who already had his chance here just because it might make a smoother transition? Especially when considering all your eggs are in one basket considering long term at that position at this point? Go with the guy you already have, he has to be the future if you don’t want to get locked into relying on the transfer portal or one off graduate transfers for the foreseeable future. Get him learning on the job.
Well, that's the other question. Does Sam jump in the portal if Jake comes? Obviously if that was a thing there is zero chance I would take Jake.
The problem here though is Sam wasn't good in the system we had given it really wasn't a system and no one really taught it well. He would do better to take a year under the new staff to learn it. You know, the way college football has been for decades prior to this need for instant gratification.

The program would do better with Jake at the helm, not just for this season, but also for Sam's development. As long as it didn't push Sam out the door.

As for reasonable expectations this year, we did see Bynum is returning and we need to see more of what is left and how recruiting ends. We do know there was a lot more talent on the roster than the outcome of the games would indicate.

I don't think it's a slam dunk they can compete for the north, but I don't think it's already out of the question either. It's not like all of the teams in the division won't have new battles. Ducks are probably losing their OC after the game tonight to go coach Akron of all places. Who knows if criscoball stays.

Need to be ready to be able to take advantage of any steps back from the rest of the division.

Last edited:
Well, that's the other question. Does Sam jump in the portal if Jake comes? Obviously if that was a thing there is zero chance I would take Jake.
The problem here though is Sam wasn't good in the system we had given it really wasn't a system and no one really taught it well. He would do better to take a year under the new staff to learn it. You know, the way college football has been for decades prior to this need for instant gratification.

The program would do better with Jake at the helm, but for this season, and for Sam's development. As long as it didn't push Sam out the door.

As for reasonable expectations this year, we did see Bynum is returning and we need to see more of what is left and how recruiting ends. We do know there was a lot more talent on the roster than the outcome of the games would indicate.

I don't think it's a slam dunk they can compete for the north, but I don't think it's already out of the question either. It's not like all of the teams in the division won't have new battles. Ducks are probably losing their OC after the game tonight to go coach Akron of all places. Who knows if criscoball stays.

Need to be ready to be able to take advantage of any steps back from the rest of the division.
We can’t know if Huard would leave, my guess is he wouldn’t because of the family legacy, if nothing else, but who can really know?

I’m not all for writing off next year, but I think you’re downplaying actual game experience. That can go bad too if he’s just gonna get his ass kicked all year, but it could be huge in developing him too.

I don’t know… whatever they decide to do I’ll trust. But if they go with Haener and have anything but a better than mediocre season, I will be annoyed.

We can’t know if Huard would leave, my guess is he wouldn’t because of the family legacy, if nothing else, but who can really know?

I’m not all for writing off next year, but I think you’re downplaying actual game experience. That can go bad too if he’s just gonna get his ass kicked all year, but it could be huge in developing him too.

I don’t know… whatever they decide to do I’ll trust. But if they go with Haener and have anything but a better than mediocre season, I will be annoyed.
Can't lose to WSU two years in a row and they have a pretty legit QB. Whoever gives them the best chance at being able to plant a W at their midfield is my vote. If that's Sam all year with time to grow before that game, then let's go.

Like I've said, there are things to love about Huard. Did you see the drops in the AC because they were coming in like bullets? He's seriously got a cannon.

The biggest problem for him is we didn't make a bowl. Those extra 12? practices are a pretty big deal when breaking in anything/anyone new. Even going to the shitstain bowl would have given them a lot more time to work with him. Now they get just spring and the fall camp to be ready. They do have a bit of a softer landing for OOC, but still. They start with Kent State then Portland State before facing Michigan State at home. They will also have 3 pretty tough road games besides the AC. Oregon, ASU, and UCLA on the road. Jake has taken on those challenges already and is battle tested.

I won't be arsed either way. I hate that Jake bailed on us, then bailed on his current team before their bowl game and may come back now? Tarded for sure.

To me the worst option is DeBoer goes after some other rent an arm for one season in the portal if Jake doesn't come. THAT would piss me off.

Can't lose to WSU two years in a row and they have a pretty legit QB. Whoever gives them the best chance at being able to plant a W at their midfield is my vote. If that's Sam all year with time to grow before that game, then let's go.

Like I've said, there are things to love about Huard. Did you see the drops in the AC because they were coming in like bullets? He's seriously got a cannon.

The biggest problem for him is we didn't make a bowl. Those extra 12? practices are a pretty big deal when breaking in anything/anyone new. Even going to the shitstain bowl would have given them a lot more time to work with him. Now they get just spring and the fall camp to be ready. They do have a bit of a softer landing for OOC, but still. They start with Kent State then Portland State before facing Michigan State at home. They will also have 3 pretty tough road games besides the AC. Oregon, ASU, and UCLA on the road. Jake has taken on those challenges already and is battle tested.

I won't be arsed either way. I hate that Jake bailed on us, then bailed on his current team before their bowl game and may come back now? Tarded for sure.

To me the worst option is DeBoer goes after some other rent an arm for one season in the portal if Jake doesn't come. THAT would piss me off.
Just bailing, then coming back a couple years later when he can get his way is bad enough, but then factor in he’d be coming in and doing the same thing that caused him to not have a real opportunity to win the job when he was here to begin with just makes it even more gross. But so be it I guess, that’s where the game’s at now. We can hate it, but it’s not going to go away.

Maybe all about nothing though, we don’t even really know that’s what he’s trying to do I suppose. Maybe just taking the opportunity after having a good year and his coach leaving to have a chance at any P5 school his last year.

Ducks got entirely undressed again and the Kraken won a pretty important game against the Oilers.
Not a bad day at all.

GIF by Discovery Europe

Just bailing, then coming back a couple years later when he can get his way is bad enough, but then factor in he’d be coming in and doing the same thing that caused him to not have a real opportunity to win the job when he was here to begin with just makes it even more gross. But so be it I guess, that’s where the game’s at now. We can hate it, but it’s not going to go away.

Maybe all about nothing though, we don’t even really know that’s what he’s trying to do I suppose. Maybe just taking the opportunity after having a good year and his coach leaving to have a chance at any P5 school his last year.
There are lots of things flying around the school that several other kids are coming to UW that played for DeBoer, but I don't know much about kids at that level. Just adds more cred that Jake is at least leaning this way.

Kraken looking good lately. Good shit.
They scored just seconds in and lead most of the way. I was still nervous the whole game. Not only was that one of the leagues top team, but we were missing a ton of our main players. Winning that kind of a game is huge.

They scored just seconds in and lead most of the way. I was still nervous the whole game. Not only was that one of the leagues top team, but we were missing a ton of our main players. Winning that kind of a game is huge.
They’ve had a pretty brutal stretch, and managed to make it their best run of the season, by far.

They’ve had a pretty brutal stretch, and managed to make it their best run of the season, by far.
Been weird. They were bad against bad teams and have been very good against great teams. Hopefully they are over the new car smell and building off this streak to keep it going. They are like 2 points behind the kings in the standings and moving in the right direction.

The whole thing is just stupid. But we knew the transfer portal stuff would be stupid. Kid bails because he couldn’t win the starting job, then wants (allegedly) to graduate transfer back when the coach he played for lands the job.

I get it, how nice for the coach to have his QB who knows his system his first year, but the irony of Haener now being the Eason that sent him packing to begin with…

This shit led to, or at least helped lead to, our QB situation being so fucked right now to begin with. I say fuck it, go all in with Huard, accept that we should expect it to be a 2014/2015 kind of year, and know that’s okay, build towards something, recruit, bring in some younger transfers for depth.

But god damn… is Jake “I’m gonna transfer” Haener really who we want leading the team when we got the Huard potential sitting there needing experience?
Like I said above lets see it play out if he does come back here.

And the transfer portal is going to be something the Dawgs are going to use, they need receiver help in a bad way

Like I said above lets see it play out if he does come back here.

And the transfer portal is going to be something the Dawgs are going to use, they need receiver help in a bad way
DeBoer's words about recruiting made it sound like we are shattering the end of OKG. Looks like he's going to be much more aggressive in recruiting. No idea how much success they will have, but I'm glad they are no longer limiting their efforts in some misplaced sense of honor in a landscape that has long since forever changed.