Poll Free hotels or air travel?

Rather have free hotel stays or air travel for life?

• Hotel (4 star)

• Air travel (business class)

Results are only viewable after voting.
so really this exercise comes down to the class of service on the flight.

I’m assuming you live in Texas. If that’s true your longest avg domestic flight is 4 hours. Is that fair to say? I fly a lot (or I did before Covid) and my flights were longer. Plus, bc I flew a lot there were lots of delays. Having the larger seats on longer flights and longer days at the airport bc of delays really made a difference for me.

I also stayed at “nicer” hotels. I usually stayed at a Hilton or Marriott which is fine for me. Give me a king size bed, ice cold AC, a refrigerator in the room and room service late and I’m good.

Just curious. How many times a month/year (on average) do you fly?
It does not come down to the class of service for me. I literally said the opposite.

so really this exercise comes down to the class of service on the flight.

I’m assuming you live in Texas. If that’s true your longest avg domestic flight is 4 hours. Is that fair to say? I fly a lot (or I did before Covid) and my flights were longer. Plus, bc I flew a lot there were lots of delays. Having the larger seats on longer flights and longer days at the airport bc of delays really made a difference for me.

I also stayed at “nicer” hotels. I usually stayed at a Hilton or Marriott which is fine for me. Give me a king size bed, ice cold AC, a refrigerator in the room and room service late and I’m good.

Just curious. How many times a month/year (on average) do you fly?
I don’t fly much at all. Trips are costly. And I’m not rich. But taking either the airfare or the hotel cost out of the equation would definitely change my travel frequency.

OP seems very combative and argumentative over this very important poll.

I don’t fly much at all. Trips are costly. And I’m not rich. But taking either the airfare or the hotel cost out of the equation would definitely change my travel frequency.

IMO your poll is affected by more variables than simply “hotel or flight”. You seem to project that anyone who picks flight is “wrong”. You’ve challenged/questioned just about everyone who picked “flight”. People who fly more frequently, on longer flights, who don’t get to “plan ahead”, etc will more likely than not pick flight. I’m sure there are other variables than those but the point is it’s those very variables that greatly influence the decision. Conversely, you don’t travel much. You don’t travel last minute. You don’t mind coach. You’re primary factor is money so you picked getting “the more expensive option” for free. Not exactly earth shattering.

that’s the answer to your question “why?”

Last edited:
OP seems very combative and argumentative over this very important poll.

it’s like he takes a offense that anyone would disagree with him. The “why” seems pretty obvious to someone who doesn’t fly much.

TBH, I’d be very interested which one @RoyMunson would pick. I know he travels a lot and I think he generally flys Southwest. I think that’s very hard to do. For me, I fly whoever offers the nonstop route but if it’s southwest and another airline I will generally opt for the other airline unless it’s a very short flight

Hotels would cost me more money than air travel.....Ill take a free over paying for airbnb anyday(if I had to pay for it) and pay Uber prices to get around.......

I like to drive going on vacations anways,(you see more this way),unless I leave for the Islands.......

IMO your poll is affected by more variables than simply “hotel or flight”. You seem to project that anyone who picks flight is “wrong”. You’ve challenged/questioned just about everyone who picked “flight”. People who fly more frequently, on longer flights, who don’t get to “plan ahead”, etc will more likely than not pick flight. I’m sure there are other variables than those but the point is it’s those very variables that greatly influence the decision. Conversely, you don’t travel much. You don’t travel last minute. You don’t mind coach. You’re primary factor is money so you picked getting “the more expensive option” for free. Not exactly earth shattering.

that’s the answer to your question “why?”
Yes. That answers. Also, you just read into things like a dunce. No bigee. It’s the way of the world now.
“You seem to project…” lol. Be an adult.

For me a big one isn’t just cost of flight vs cost of hotel given my normal travel routine. … it’s analyzing how I like to travel, and more importantly, how and how much more frequently I would travel given either free airfare or hotel stay.
what immediately comes to mind is that if I had free hotel:
- lots more road trips to shows and such in and around Texas: New Orleans.
- Plane trip to Chicago, then mlb stadium road trip in the Midwest.
What comes to mind with free flights:
- visit friends outside of Texas so much more often
- making quick impromptu trips abroad or domestically.
both seem pretty rad.
my initial thought is that while I’d take advantage of the free airfare more in the first few years, I might get more utility out of the hotel thing across the rest of my life.

Hotels for sure. Don’t fly enough compared to hotel stays.

For me a big one isn’t just cost of flight vs cost of hotel given my normal travel routine. … it’s analyzing how I like to travel, and more importantly, how and how much more frequently I would travel given either free airfare or hotel stay.
what immediately comes to mind is that if I had free hotel:
- lots more road trips to shows and such in and around Texas: New Orleans.
- Plane trip to Chicago, then mlb stadium road trip in the Midwest.
What comes to mind with free flights:
- visit friends outside of Texas so much more often
- making quick impromptu trips abroad or domestically.
both seem pretty rad.
my initial thought is that while I’d take advantage of the free airfare more in the first few years, I might get more utility out of the hotel thing across the rest of my life.
There are a lot of EAS airports that have regional service inclusive of business class that you might not realize. You can fly business into College Station from Austin or Dallas. Pretty much every city in Texas that you may not think of as having air service does. Just not man fly it, hence why it is EAS. Waco would be another good one. And when you are proficient at it, and especially for day trips, security isn't an issue and neither is showing up early. You know with Biz you have the reserved seat and are in priority boarding 2 at the worst. So walk up with your pre-check, clear security, walk to gate and get right on the plane.

One caveat you didn't mention is if this is just me, or my family. That would drastically change my answer as well. No use me flying business free if my wife doesn't. In that case I'll go hotel where they can join me in my free-ness.

If I had free air travel that would open up more destination possibilities and the price of lodging is going to be much less than air travel. When I travel for pleasure I just want a decent place to stay because I just need a place to store my crap and sleep

I can see if you mainly travel domestically and head to "theme" resorts, free hotel would appeal more.

If traveling internationally and a hotel is just a place to lay your head a few hours, free flights, especially business, might appeal more.

Because I'm usually flying internationally and carrying a crap ton of luggage due to scuba and photography, having not only that lie flat bed means more but the additional "free" luggage allowance is great.

Plus, as @fordman mentioned, having a dedicated line, breezing thru precheck and I'm sitting in the airline lounge while most economy still stuck in a line.

Explain yourself.
Well, many studies have been done on this very same question, and research has shown, that those who pick free business class travel are much more likely to be badass motherfuckers with big dicks, while those who pick free hotels are much more prone to pissing and/or shitting themselves on a regular basis

I don’t enjoy being on a plane with a bunch of strangers any more than I enjoy being on a bus. And I don’t like being on those at all.

If it were a private jet, I’d be interested. But commercial flights, nah.

Fly first class or drive, I ain't sitting with the peasants in the rear.