Poll Free hotels or air travel?

Rather have free hotel stays or air travel for life?

• Hotel (4 star)

• Air travel (business class)

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I was talking about this with myself and then got into an argument so then I went upstairs and found my wife on the shitter so I went and drank a protein shake but it left a Chocolate milk mustache so went to shave the chocolate milk mustache off in the shower but the wife was in the shower so I took a dump that smelled like the beef jerky I ate and lemme tell ya when you take the sugar out it gets quite stinky so the wife got all mad and threw me out so couldn't shave my chocolate milk mustache off I got a serious case of the sads cuz I can't get no satisfaction of shaving the stache off terrible news I tell you so I decided to go rollerblading then it started raining so I went home and was blading through the puddles (no not the duck this time) and I hit a pothole disguised as a puddle at this point I was quite upset so I pulled up my pants and went home, I tell you what I went to shave the stache and it was already gone, I figured it had something to do with the beef jerky so anyway I finally calmed down from the earlier argument and decided for a second opinion so I asked the wife but it was 3am and she was sleeping so she got mad so I decided to let her get a little more sleep before I ask her about such world shattering things but then my sads turned to gas so I pulled the sheets over the wife that way the farts don't make the room hot cuz global warming in my bedroom isn't allowed so she choked on it and woke up in perfect time to offer me her opinion and it was decided if you don't do it my way you're wrong but if you do it my way you're right I'm glad I could help you with this decision and hope you'll let house sit when you're on your new excellent adventures

Hotel for sure... I don't mind flying Southwest domestically and they're cheap as long as you're not booking last minute.

Hotel for sure... I don't mind flying Southwest domestically and they're cheap as long as you're not booking last minute.
Do they carry sugar free jerky on the flights??

so really this exercise comes down to the class of service on the flight.

I’m assuming you live in Texas. If that’s true your longest avg domestic flight is 4 hours. Is that fair to say? I fly a lot (or I did before Covid) and my flights were longer. Plus, bc I flew a lot there were lots of delays. Having the larger seats on longer flights and longer days at the airport bc of delays really made a difference for me.

I also stayed at “nicer” hotels. I usually stayed at a Hilton or Marriott which is fine for me. Give me a king size bed, ice cold AC, a refrigerator in the room and room service late and I’m good.

Just curious. How many times a month/year (on average) do you fly?

I've never had the true first class experience... the international ones with the pods or whatever the fuck they have now. Hell, I flew coach to/from Australia... twice. 15+ hours Sydney to Dallas was 5 hours of sleep and 10 hours of watching movies. The seat was not really a problem.

Domestic first is nice, but I get just as much room on Southwest by saving the seat next to me "for my wife that's in the bathroom" so even if there's only a single empty seat on the plane, it's the one next to me. Fuck everybody else.

But you're absolutely right about a hotel... ice cold AC is pretty near the top of the list. I want it so fucking cold that it's painful to get out of bed.

it’s like he takes a offense that anyone would disagree with him. The “why” seems pretty obvious to someone who doesn’t fly much.

TBH, I’d be very interested which one @RoyMunson would pick. I know he travels a lot and I think he generally flys Southwest. I think that’s very hard to do. For me, I fly whoever offers the nonstop route but if it’s southwest and another airline I will generally opt for the other airline unless it’s a very short flight

I would pick Southwest mostly because it's what we prefer to use when traveling on vacation. With just the 3 of us we're just one row, so the seating setup is nice, plus you can't beat the points earned using Business Select and spent on "Wanna get away" fares. And the Companion Pass is the best perk of any domestic airline.

Plus if you use the trick of being a total asshole and saving the seat next to you for an imaginary person, you almost never have to have somebody sit next to you. And you get the grateful thanks of the person in the aisle that was too much of a pussy to do the same thing.

But also being in Nashville ( and previously Raleigh) Southwest is my best option for direct flights to most places. AA takes me through DFW or Charlotte to go most places, and Delta through either Atlanta or Detroit. If I wasn't booking on Southwest, I was choosing that last option (Delta through Detroit).

I would pick Southwest mostly because it's what we prefer to use when traveling on vacation. With just the 3 of us we're just one row, so the seating setup is nice, plus you can't beat the points earned using Business Select and spent on "Wanna get away" fares. And the Companion Pass is the best perk of any domestic airline.

Plus if you use the trick of being a total asshole and saving the seat next to you for an imaginary person, you almost never have to have somebody sit next to you. And you get the grateful thanks of the person in the aisle that was too much of a pussy to do the same thing.

But also being in Nashville ( and previously Raleigh) Southwest is my best option for direct flights to most places. AA takes me through DFW or Charlotte to go most places, and Delta through either Atlanta or Detroit. If I wasn't booking on Southwest, I was choosing that last option (Delta through Detroit).

haha

you have the southwest game down to a science. Having the open seat next to you in coach is clutch! It truly is the next best thing to first/business class there is. It’s huge. Now I understand how you are able to fly as much as you do on southwest.

When I first started business travel I was a miles whore as well. Coming out of Boston AA was my preferred airline but you’re right: everything is a connection. If you make a million miles you get gold status for life. If you make 2 million miles you get platinum status for life. I made 2 million miles more than a decade ago. (The miles also includes credit card miles). However, I really now just choose whoever is nonstop and I almost never fly coach. I’ve got over a million unused miles on hawaiin airlines and their FC is pretty good. They have those lounge chair styles. If I fly internationally I use miles for FC. Those tix are hard to get but well worth it.

I don’t fly anywhere near as frequently as I did but once I made the commitment to stop flying coach it was a game changer for me. The lounges, the security line, the early boarding, the no stress about overhead space, etc was well worth it.

As always, appreciate your insight.

Yes. But that’s one of the points. You can now do free last minute flights. That’s a big thing to factor in.

Air travel for me. Just about anyplace I would want to travel to, I have friends or family who would insist I stay with them anyway. If I am travelling to a place where I dont know anyone...I dont mind a cheaper hotel since I am likely not there to see the hotel.

Air travel for me. Just about anyplace I would want to travel to, I have friends or family who would insist I stay with them anyway. If I am travelling to a place where I dont know anyone...I dont mind a cheaper hotel since I am likely not there to see the hotel.
Ok. But hotels still cost.
How does this strike you: You can fly to (insert overseas destination) and stay for two weeks in free hotels wherever you want to travel within that area.

How does this strike you: You can fly to (insert overseas destination) and stay for two weeks in free hotels wherever you want to travel within that area.

Air travel still costs as well. On the few occasions that I have needed one, I have always had good luck with finding hotels at a discount.

For those who think flying to some country and staying at Sandals is the end all, be all, then choose hotels.

But you fail to recognize that, for some of us, the hotel is just a place to rest your head a few hours. We may be out and about all day (not playing on the hotel pool slide) and only back at the hotel to shower and catch some sleep.

For those who think flying to some country and staying at Sandals is the end all, be all, then choose hotels.

But you fail to recognize that, for some of us, the hotel is just a place to rest your head a few hours. We may be out and about all day (not playing on the hotel pool slide) and only back at the hotel to shower and catch some sleep.
Again. They still cost. I literally wrote that and wasn’t commenting on the quality of the hotel.
Can you read?

Again. They still cost. I literally wrote that and wasn’t commenting on the quality of the hotel.
Can you read?

Can you accept a different opinion without the snark?

Yes, they still cost. And guess what, airline tickets still cost. So what's the point?

Some prefer to spend theirs on hotels, some on tickets.

Can you accept a different opinion without the snark?

Yes, they still cost. And guess what, airline tickets still cost. So what's the point?

Some prefer to spend theirs on hotels, some on tickets.
Nah. You clearly ducked up your response and now are backtracking. Nice try.
different opinions are nice. You completely misreading then attacking something someone didn’t say is dumb. Next.

Ya know what, I gave a thoughtful response to op, and not one bit of appreciation has been shown from anyone. Seriously bad case of the sads starting, gonna need some jerky

Nah. You clearly ducked up your response and now are backtracking. Nice try.
different opinions are nice. You completely misreading then attacking something someone didn’t say is dumb. Next.

Would you rather have free business-class air travel for the rest of your life or free four-star hotel stays (outside your home city) for the rest of your life?

Business travel.

There. Is that clear enough?