TV Series Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 256,604.00
Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon is an upcoming prequel series (set over a hundred years before the original Game of Thrones series) that will be based on the story of the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, as told in George R. R. Martin's side history book Fire & Blood. If you want to discuss stuff from the book that this show hasn't gotten to yet, do so in the book readers thread instead of in this thread.

Fire-Blood-2.jpg

"Fire Will Reign" poster:

EIFaIwZUEAAVyVk.jpg:large

Dragon concept art for House of the Dragon was just released yesterday in a blogpost by WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar...:

dragon1_2.jpg

dragon2_2.jpg

...and on Twitter:

GameOfThrones said:
Dragons are coming.
#HouseoftheDragon begins production in 2021.

The Targarian history in Martin's world is pretty interesting. I have never read Fire & Blood, but they are the family with the most turmoil in terms of their reigns and the craziness around it.

I will likely check it out

I wish they stuck with the first idea for the spinoff show.

I wish they stuck with the first idea for the spinoff show.
Adventures of Dunk and Egg?
Bloodmoon. It was set about ten thousand years before the original Game of Thrones.

Something I've said before: I am so glad they decided to proceed with House of the Dragon instead of Bloodmoon. The problem with Bloodmoon is that it's not based on any actual George R. R. Martin book, but instead just on scattered references throughout the books to myths of the Long Night, so we would have ended up with the same shitty fanfiction from TV writers that season 8 was.

At least with House of the Dragon, we get a story based on an actual George R. R. Martin book, even if the details of the story in that book are rather sparse (due to the book being a historical reference that covers over a century rather than in-depth novels covering a few years the way the main aSoIaF series is).

So, if production on this begins in 2021, I wonder, will the first season be finished and air before Martin even finishes, much less releases, The Winds of Winter?

So, if production on this begins in 2021, I wonder, will the first season be finished and air before Martin even finishes, much less releases, The Winds of Winter?
Winds of Winter is still scheduled for summer 2021.

I have faith!

Scheduled for what?
Last I saw, Martin hadn't even finished it, yet.
He doesn't need to be finished yet, but he has said it will be out in 2021. He has really picked up on his writing.

He doesn't need to be finished yet, but he has said it will be out in 2021. He has really picked up on his writing.

The link you posted says, "Tentatively, The Winds of Winter is due to be finished by next year, though it’s hard to say for sure when it will be available to fans."

I edited and posted a second article
The link you posted says, "Tentatively, The Winds of Winter is due to be finished by next year, though it’s hard to say for sure when it will be available to fans."

In terms of the new series, apparently one lead has been cast: Paddy Considine will be playing King Viserys.

In terms of the new series, apparently one lead has been cast: Paddy Considine will be playing King Viserys.

For clarification in case anybody reading this is confused, Paddy Considine is playing Viserys I (the First), who is not to be mistaken for Daenerys's brother Viserys, played by actor Harry Lloyd, from the first season of the original GoT series, who would more precisely be Viserys III (the Third).

Both do belong to House Targaryen, Viserys I being a distant ancestor of Viserys III.

Since I ditched HBO after season 8 of GoT (maybe should be done it earlier), I will likely not watch this series. While I've read Fire and Blood, I'm not that excited to pay to watch this series....at least until initial reviews come out.

For clarification in case anybody reading this is confused, Paddy Considine is playing Viserys I (the First), who is not to be mistaken for Daenerys's brother Viserys, played by actor Harry Lloyd, from the first season of the original GoT series, who would more precisely be Viserys III (the Third).

Both do belong to House Targaryen, Viserys I being a distant ancestor of Viserys III.

Sorry, it didn't occur to me anyone would think it was the same Viserys.

Bloodmoon. It was set about ten thousand years before the original Game of Thrones.

Something I've said before: I am so glad they decided to proceed with House of the Dragon instead of Bloodmoon. The problem with Bloodmoon is that it's not based on any actual George R. R. Martin book, but instead just on scattered references throughout the books to myths of the Long Night, so we would have ended up with the same shitty fanfiction from TV writers that season 8 was.

At least with House of the Dragon, we get a story based on an actual George R. R. Martin book, even if the details of the story in that book are rather sparse (due to the book being a historical reference that covers over a century rather than in-depth novels covering a few years the way the main aSoIaF series is).

Completely different show runners and writers. It would have been the better show. More open for them to create something truly fascinating.

From what I hear of House of the Dragon is it isn't as good as the Game of Thrones story and covers some 300 years or something like that so you'll have your big chunk of blanks filled in by TV show writers.

Great point. I’m only interested in any prequel that is deeply sourced in GRRM’s writing.

Been there....done that.

I wouldn't have a problem with a good show runner doing something from this universe that is largely based on their own story telling.

IMO, Benioff and Weiss had 2 major problems, or maybe even 3 depend on how you look at it.

1. George Martin had initially committed to finishing the books before the show. In retrospect this was pure folly. So this put them in a bit of a lerch in that, while they knew the end of the story, they did NOT know how the subplots played out. So they kinda had to fill in the blanks. That was ALWAYS going to be tricky to do and this led to them not giving those subplots enough attention.

2. B&W had signed on to do a Star Wars movie and a new HBO series. They wanted to get started with those so they just rushed the ending. And they rushed it for no reason because both the new Star Wars movies and the new HBO show were shelved.

3. No matter what they did, a lot of fans were NEVER going to like how that story ended.

I don't think that means that other writers, freed from some of the expectations couldn't do some really interesting work within this universe.