TV Series Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

So what dragons were shown in these trailers. Obviously Vhagar & Ceraxes were. Any new ones? I hope the Cannibal gets, at least, some screen time.

This has to be one of the worst cases of “writers block” in recorded history.

I haven’t read any of the books. Do you think he has stopped because he has been distracted by his success? Did he write himself into a corner that he can’t get out of? Is there some other explanation?

I'm not sure if it writers block or not, but he is stretching himself extremely thin with all of his projects. He's involved in the production and or creation of like seven shows right now.

My best guess, and of course, it's just a guess, is it is a combination.
I think the success of the show was definitely distracting, but I also think he'd already sort of written himself into a corner in that in the last 2 books that came out, he brought in so many new elements, even if the show had never been made, he would have had a hard time bringing it all together and finishing. With the show, I think it was easy for him to put off working on the next book for a while, and then once show went beyond what he'd written, that was pretty much that.

I also wonder if, since he did give the sketch of where he planned to go and how he planned to finish to the show runners, and seeing how adverse the reaction was to how it ended (and I'm not just talking about how it all seemed very rushed, I'm talking about plot - like, I could be wrong, but I figure Daenerys going full "Burn them all" Targ at the end was GRRM's plan, but seeing so many lose it over that, and not in the same way people lost it over other plot twists), I think he just said, "fuck it."

I generally agree with all of this. It shouldn't be forgotten that GRRM took outrageously long between books before his star rose with the TV show. He was going at a nice 2-yr clip for the first 3 books, but then took an outrageous 5 years to produce the 4th book, which was even more absurd when you consider that book only contained 1/2 the characters. Then another 6 years for his final book, the first half of which is the companion piece to book 4 and only contains the other half of characters. If you combine those into one giant book, it took him 11 years to go from book 3 to book 4/5. Its now been another 13 years and we have no updates on the 6th book being any closer to completion than we had about 10 years ago.

Now he has excuses for all these other side projects he's working on instead of his main project, but he was painfully slow at completing his works in the first place. I think its entirely plausible that he simply doesn't want to finish.

That said.

I'm ready for some dragons.

625.jpg

Cliffs?

Basically, he said things will be different in his novels from how the show ended (assuming he actually ever finishes his novels).

And of course this is true. He has extra POVs in his books and the show accelerated to break neck speed to finish the plot using only vague ideas GRRM had about storylines. The result was the show's later seasons were full of plot holes and characters behaving in ways that went completely against the traits the previous seasons went to painstaking lengths to flesh out. Additionally, the general reaction to the show's end was so negative that it may have influenced GRRM's future direction.

Is it hoping against hope that at some time, there'll either be a retro scene or episode of some sort that will at least give us the thrill of seeing live Balerion? The most legendary dragon has to have a scene or scenes at some time.