Good Documentaries?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,697.00

Just finished the Boys State doc. Loved it. That was the best doc I've seen since Magnus. There's so much to unpack, and so much amazingness from the Wyatt Schaefer fascist-esque chairman speech, to banning cargo shorts, to the interpretive dance audition for the talent show. Not to mention, there was a ton of depth beneath the surface, and I can't recommend it enough.

It’s old, like way before I was born, but Heartworn Highways was a great documentary about the early Texas Country scene. First known video footage of Steve Earle and Rodney Crowell, and Townes Van Zandt has an interesting life

The PF recommend Cuties

Just watched Crime Scene: Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel.

It was pretty well done. Good sourcing of people in it and good pacing on laying out the main part of it....the disappearance of Elisa Lam in 2013. Good back history on the Cecil Hotel, which is morbidly fascinating. For anyone that believes there are portals of evil in this world, the Cecil Hotel would certainly qualify as one.

But what I enjoyed the most about it is the modern phenomenon of internet sleuths. So many were all over this case from the start. Many were following the case in a logical manner.....but you certainly had the conspiracy nuts all over this. I’ll leave the wild conspiracies as a surprise for anyone that watches.

Even those in the logical quest to help find justice were all over the damn map. Even going as far as identifying possible suspects (the character Morbid, a black metal singer, was very interesting) and reaching out to those “suspects” and lambasting them to “admit what you did”.

Wont ruin it for anyone that wants to watch, but what actually went down wasn’t anywhere near as outlandish as all these internet detectives were deducing.

For me....it was fantastic commentary on our current times and people’s need to dive into something that’s not their area of expertise. I’m sick of seeing it, and I laughed my ass off at how dumb they all came across.

This was good too:

There are a bunch of good ones on Netflix.

I decided to go sober on Mondays and Thursdays and have been filling that time with various Netflix crime series.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of good one on Netflix.

I decided to go sober on Mondays and Thursdays and have been filling that time with various Netflix crime series.
Have you seen the one I mentioned above about the Cecil Hotel?

Yeah, I just started that one Monday. Crazy stuff. I keep thinking about people drinking that water.

Barf ...
Holy Christ....barf indeed.

I’m amazed they used the tanks for potable water for the hotel and didn’t have any kind of security measures to ensure it’s not tampered with.

Holy Christ....barf indeed.

I’m amazed they used the tanks for potable water for the hotel and didn’t have any kind of security measures to ensure it’s not tampered with.

Yep. I thought the exact same.

It definitely goes deeper than any textbook I've ever used?
Yeah, and in elementary/HS, I didn't pay much attention in "boring history" class so seeing a fuller picture and so many more back/side stories was fascinating to me. Made me feel fairly stupid & ignorant, but it was really well done.

I mentioned this elsewhere but I highly recommend it. You'll enjoy every minute.