Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - 3 Osborne vs 6 Switzer

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Osborne (25 seasons) - 90/25=2.6 ranked opponents a season
-- vs 11-25 (AP Final Poll) 33-8-1 - (.786)
-- vs Top 10 (AP Final Poll) 17-31 - (.354)

-- vs Top 25 (AP Final Poll) 50-39-1 - (.556)

Switzer (16 seasons) - 49/16=3.1 ranked opponents a season
-- vs 11-25 (AP Final Poll) 10-8 - (.556)
-- vs Top 10 (AP Final Poll) 16-14-1 - (.516)

--vs Top 25 (AP Final Poll) 26-22-1 - (.531)

Switching back to Switzer.

The argument against this
Osborne had 10 losses vs teams that finished unranked in AP Poll
Switzer had 7 losses vs teams that finished unranked in AP Poll

Osborne had 9 more seasons.

When it comes to a whole career? Of course it does. If we were talking about a single season you'd have a point but we are talking about a college coaches entire career and Osborne's is simply more impressive despite the H2H.

By your logic, if you were asked who was been more impressive since 2000 Florida or Ohio State, you would say Florida bc of H2H
Barry Switzer accomplished 3 National Championships in 16 years when it took Tom Osborne 25 years to accomplish the same thing....after Switzer quit coaching college football. Switzer owned Osborne 12-5 H2H. Switzer had a winning bowl record and Tom Osborne didn't. Barry Switzer had a higher career winning percentage than Tom Osborne. And if anyone wants to talk "losing streaks", you can refer to an earlier post of mine that puts that subject to rest since, once again, the advantage is hugely in Barry Switzer's favor. But Tom Osborne had a greater career. LMAO I loved Tom Osborne and I'll give him his due; he is a class act and Barry Switzer was a flaming dick for a long time. I get that. But to say Osborne's career was better is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Barry Switzer accomplished 3 National Championships in 16 years

Yeah, but One season he was ineligible for post season and one he lost to Kansas which should have made him ineligible for post season.

:beer2:

I’m just busting Sooner balls here, I think he’s a hell of a coach.

but I’m still voting for Tom.

The argument against this
Osborne had 10 losses vs teams that finished unranked in AP Poll
Switzer had 7 losses vs teams that finished unranked in AP Poll

Osborne had 9 more seasons.
This counterargument wouldn't work in fact as Osborne only had 1 loss vs. a team that finished unranked from 1989-1997, so when both Osborne and Switzer were coaching, Osborne had 9 losses vs teams that finished unranked while Switzer had just 7

hippo GIF

1992 @ Iowa State. I was there!

View attachment 23402
Iowa State has had some of the best uniforms in the entire country for a long time. Just get rid of those black uniforms. They look like shit. They look like the Oakland Raiders or a prison team. You've got some really nice road uniforms too.

1615481813926.png

Reminds me of good ol Pete Carroll
Pete Carroll wasn’t afraid to play Oklahoma.....Then again SC has never lost a game to Nebraska either including a holiday bowl while still under the scholarship sanctions......

Carroll and Switzer took NFL jobs because they wanted to win NFL championships. These polls always have the same results.... they always have. Hoopla has always had an abundance of Huskers fans. Not a fan of either team and neither are the greatest college coach of all time. But better coach between the two I have to go Switzer here. Switzer was hell for Nebraska

Last edited:
Pete Carroll wasn’t afraid to play Oklahoma.....Then again SC has never lost a game to Nebraska either including a holiday bowl while still under the scholarship sanctions......

Carroll and Switzer took NFL jobs because they wanted to win NFL championships. These polls always have the same results.... they always have. Hoopla has always had an abundance of Huskers fans. Not a fan of either team and neither are the greatest college coach of all time. But better coach between the two I have to go Switzer here. Switzer was hell for Nebraska
You're wrong, that is okay.

You're wrong, that is okay.

Feel free to elaborate Carroll was an NFL coach before SC. Both Carroll and Switzer would have been foolish not to take NFL jobs. And both have won National Championships as well as Super Bowl Championships. They both left to prove themselves at the next level.....

Nebraska has never beaten USC feel free to look it up.....

These polls are fun but they have always been popularity contests that are determined by fanbase in the end. It’s been that way on hoopla for years.... A lot of great coaches in college football history that get overlooked in these polls ie: Howard Jones.....

If we are talking college football history and actual coaching I take Switzer over Osborne any day. Greatest Coach of all time would be between Bear and Saban tho.

Feel free to elaborate Carroll was an NFL coach before SC. Both Carroll and Switzer would have been foolish not to take NFL jobs. And both have won National Championships as well as Super Bowl Championships. They both left to prove themselves at the next level.....

Nebraska has never beaten USC feel free to look it up.....

These polls are fun but they have always been popularity contests that are determined by fanbase in the end. It’s been that way on hoopla for years.... A lot of great coaches in college football history that get overlooked in these polls ie: Howard Jones.....

If we are talking college football history and actual coaching I take Switzer over Osborne any day. Greatest Coach of all time would be between Bear and Saban tho.
Even when you remove the fanbase polls it has Tom Osborne winning, nice try.

Caroll ran to the NFL because he knew he had been caught cheating, nice try again

Osborne coached better teams than Switzer, what team in the history of OU compares to Osbornes teams from the 90s, let alone under switzer.

Like i said, you're wrong. It's okay