IPA - Your Favorites

Lagunitas is probably the worst common one and I've been places where it's the only choice. It just doesn't taste like much.
Their standard IPA is the most inconsistent beer I can recall. It ranges from great to garbage depending on which batch you get. I stopped buying it because of it. Their Hop Stoopid IPA is pretty good though.

Really? I like some of their off shoots but the regular seems pretty basic to me.

My favorite (non-special) is Bells Two Hearted Ale. I actually brewed the recipe before I could find it in my area. Now it's my go to.
Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA is second go to after Two Hearted these days.

9% and a tall boy is $1.79. Value and a half on a real good buzz.

Life has been good since Two Hearted started being on every tap around here the last few years.

Their standard IPA is the most inconsistent beer I can recall. It ranges from great to garbage depending on which batch you get. I stopped buying it because of it. Their Hop Stoopid IPA is pretty good though.
I've never experienced the great. Probably never will.

Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA is second go to after Two Hearted these days.

9% and a tall boy is $1.79. Value and a half on a real good buzz.

Life has been good since Two Hearted started being on every tap around here the last few years.
I've never had an imperial ipa I didn't enjoy and voodoo ranger is included.

Not a fan of cloudy, or overly dark or thick.

But any local ones here are not even going to be found where you live so I'm not going to bother with pics.

I like IPAs just fine but sometimes the after taste is not appealing.
I remember in college there was some idea Canadian beer was supposed to be great. I missed the boat because that must have been before America started getting a ton of microbreweries. The best I ever had was like Molson or something?

Reactions: Me
I remember in college there was some idea Canadian beer was supposed to be great. I missed the boat because that must have been before America started getting a ton of microbreweries. The best I ever had was like Molson or something?

I dunno about great but better than Schlitz..

Our micro breweries are as good as any. And they are popping up all over. My shithole town has 2, attached to eateries and they are great.

Here was my summer view from one's rooftop.

dogmountain.jpg

Reactions: ill
beer GIF

Their 90 and 120 minute IPAs are the best. 60 is pretty good too.
This but I usually stick with the 60 minute

There was a time when import beer (including Canadian... Which I think was hyped because they put more alcohol in) was better than American. That time has passed, and is well in the rear view mirror. Because of craft beer, America has the best beer. Styles that other countries did better than us, we've been able to match.

The only beers that I've had that I haven't found a peer in the US is Westvleteren and De Struise.

1. Dogfish Head Brewery - 60 Minute IPA
Anything they make is pretty much A tier

2. Sierra Nevada - Celebration
It's the most wonderful time when these are in-season
1615687427418.png

3. Scofflaw Brewey Co. - Goats Milk Milkshake IPA
Not sure why these came into my life and out so suddenly but I will never forget you.
1615687651719.png

Ingredients just arrived for my next 5 gallon brew day. After making sure everything I ordered arrived, I put the yeast into the fridge until the night before brew day. Should end up being around 9.2% ABV and 120 IBUs.

6 lbs gold malt extract
6 lbs amber malt extract
2 lbs corn sugar (at flame out)

2 oz cluster pellets for 60 minutes
2 oz cluster pellets for 30 minutes
3 oz blend for 15
3 oz blend for 10
3 oz blend for 5
3 oz blend (flame out)

The 1 lb of DME is to replenish my yeast starter supply, but I'm considering adding the remainder not being used for the 2L starter in the boil to up the gravity to over 10%.

Got a couple weeks until I'd be able to brew, but looking at least 2 weeks in the primary, then I prefer to transfer to a secondary carboy for another couple weeks before bottling. So around 2 months from now I'll crack one open and enjoy throughout the summer.

20210316_181650_01.jpg

Ingredients just arrived for my next 5 gallon brew day. After making sure everything I ordered arrived, I put the yeast into the fridge until the night before brew day. Should end up being around 9.2% ABV and 120 IBUs.

6 lbs gold malt extract
6 lbs amber malt extract
2 lbs corn sugar (at flame out)

2 oz cluster pellets for 60 minutes
2 oz cluster pellets for 30 minutes
3 oz blend for 15
3 oz blend for 10
3 oz blend for 5
3 oz blend (flame out)

The 1 lb of DME is to replenish my yeast starter supply, but I'm considering adding the remainder not being used for the 2L starter in the boil to up the gravity to over 10%.

Got a couple weeks until I'd be able to brew, but looking at least 2 weeks in the primary, then I prefer to transfer to a secondary carboy for another couple weeks before bottling. So around 2 months from now I'll crack one open and enjoy throughout the summer.

View attachment 23870
I like your style. I mainly use Northern Brewer. Is this a kit?

I like your style. I mainly use Northern Brewer. Is this a kit?

I've used them as well, but this was 115th Dream Hopburst IPA from Midwest. Granted, they're both owned by the same people, hence why Northern Brewer brands are on the hops and DME.

Midwest had the better price on the same kit and I had a coupon for free shipping, but without the coupon NB would be been cheaper since they have free shipping for orders over $40.

Last edited:
Brewed my IPA this afternoon. Ended up with an OG around 1.106 after adding the extra DME. I have my blow off tube going to a bottle of sanitizer in case the yeast get really active in the next few days.20210409_163742.jpg20210409_164334.jpg20210409_164624.jpg20210409_170656.jpg

Yeast is doing its job with a couple Wyeast smack packs and nutrient added at the end of the boil. Bubbling pretty well into the sanitizer bottle. I'll give it a couple weeks to finish and get a gravity reading when I transfer over to a carboy. Looking to get between 10-11% ABV with a lot of flavor and aroma with the hop burst over the last 15 minutes.

Screenshot_20210410-075932_Gallery.jpg

Transferred into my secondary today, since I'm going to be busy this weekend. It will need to condition for 4-6 weeks before bottling. Didn't get a good reading on the hydrometer, but will try again before bottling to see what ABV I ended up with.

Smells great, but with that many hops, I'm down below 4 gallons at the moment. Probably could be added more water before pitching since I did add the extra pound of DME to account for the loss while keeping an OG close to what the original recipe called for, but on well, time to wait for a couple months before actually cracking a bottle open.