Is it time to start paying attention to Luis Arraez’s chase for .400?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,650.00
I mean it’s late June and he got to .400 on the season after a 5 hit game last night(his third 5 hit game of this month)

It’s the latest in the season in a long time that there was still a player with a real shot at hitting .400 on the season.

It would be the first .400 season the vast majority of us have ever witnessed at the MLB level. Odds are against him, and with him playing for a division rival, I kinda hope he doesn’t get there

Is it time to start paying attention to a player who has no power, no speed and almost exclusively hits singles?

No.

You hate Tony Gwynn too?

Kobe Bryant Yes GIF

I don't follow baseball anymore since it died, but I did take a look at dude's career stats. The longer he plays this season, the more likely his average is going to dip back towards .300. He's a career .327 hitter, not bad in this day and age, but probably not going to scare .350 by Septober.

I don't follow baseball anymore since it died, but I did take a look at dude's career stats. The longer he plays this season, the more likely his average is going to dip back towards .300. He's a career .327 hitter, not bad in this day and age, but probably not going to scare .350 by Septober.
Probably not, but this is the latest I can remember someone hitting .400 since Chipper in 2008 who ended the season batting a pathetic .360 something on a 90 loss team.

Marlins as a team are likely to fall off too, but for the moment they’re worth paying attention to IMO

Wow, holding down the 3rd best record in the NL ATM, and 6th best overall. Must be nice to be a big market team
They’re like a hair in a biscuit hanging around. Buried the Mets, have some distance on the Phillies, but even after starting the month 13-3, we still haven’t gotten rid of the damn Marlins

Arraez really doesn’t walk much either, which is gonna make it even harder for him to stay over .400 by the end of the season

Is it time to start paying attention to a player who has no power, no speed and almost exclusively hits singles?

No.
So, he is not Ted Williams. Nobody was. A .450 OBP is pretty decent. On pace for 35+ doubles and 50 walks, not to mention 240 hits. More walks than strikeouts. And anybody that puts down hitting singles must never have played the game.

Five days ago he was hitting .378, with one home run on the year, nobody cared.

Nobody is going to care next week when he’s hitting .382 with two homers.

That one year, when Coke and whiskey were still a benefit to Lenny Dykstra, he was hitting .400 late into the season.

Had to be close to this part of the season. Hangovers are harder to deal with as it gets hotter. He faded. But I’d take that dirt ass over this slap hitter.

career .327 is pretty damn high. would have him at least 42nd all-time, and most of the players ahead played in eras where .350+ batting averages were a lot more common

does Arraez hit for an empty average? sure. but we're still talking about a league leading .448 OBP and a 157 OPS+. that's an elite offensive season, especially for a 2nd baseman. Would it be one of the greatest offensive seasons? I don't think so, but the average would still be a huge feat.

Probably not, but this is the latest I can remember someone hitting .400 since Chipper in 2008 who ended the season batting a pathetic .360 something on a 90 loss team.

Marlins as a team are likely to fall off too, but for the moment they’re worth paying attention to IMO

18-5 in one run games isn't sustainable. They've got a good pitching staf but that lineup outside of Arraez, Sanchez and Soler sucks ass (and even the latter is a very volatile hitter). This Marlins team gives me a 2009 Giants feel.

18-5 in one run games isn't sustainable. They've got a good pitching staf but that lineup outside of Arraez, Sanchez and Soler sucks ass (and even the latter is a very volatile hitter).
No doubt. But them holding a playoff spot as of now with Alcantara sucking ass so far is a notable achievement for them. Never thought the Marlins would be the Braves’ closest competition for the East in late June even if everyone knows they’re not a real threat

No doubt. But them holding a playoff spot as of now with Alcantara sucking ass so far is a notable achievement for them. Never thought the Marlins would be the Braves’ closest competition for the East in late June even if everyone knows they’re not a real threat

Perez has looked awesome so far... got a feeling he's going to be a special pitcher