Michigan sub .500 team

Michigan has finished ahead in the standings and beat both teams more regularly the last 3 years.

Ummm....Michigan is 1-2 vs both in the last 3 years. No wonder you think Michigan is good.

No No No No No. It is chic to overpay head coaches now. Everyone is doing it.

I stand corrected. It is chic to overpay both head coaches and assistants.

Well, like the Kardashians, not everything that's chic is smart.

Michigan has finished ahead in the standings and beat both teams more regularly the last 3 years.
in 2017 Michigan finished 5-4 in B1G play, 4th in the East and 6th overall in the B1G. They lost to Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State. 2018 is arguably their best year in decades where they only lost to Ohio State in B1G play and managed to beat Wisconsin and Penn state. Then in 2019 Michigan finished tied for 6th in the B1G with Iowa and 3rd in the East having lost to Wisconsin and Penn state as well as Ohio state in B1G play.

Since Harbaugh was hired, both have a better record. 6/half dozen

Ok, some Michigan fans argued with me that they had the series with Penn State. I was correct originally. I was correct in my statement that Penn State had been a better program recently than Michigan.

Ok, some Michigan fans argued with me that they had the series with Penn State. I was correct originally. I was correct in my statement that Penn State had been a better program recently than Michigan.
Well there’s your first problem. Never take what Michigan fans say as fact. You would believe that Michigan beat Ohio State in 2016.

A perception he hasn't won big games? Here are some of his numbers. 10-14 vs. AP ranked teams. 2-11 vs. top 10 opponents. 1-10 as an underdog. He's lost a lot more big games than he won.

In comment # 63 you said half of his losses are to Ohio State (5) and meaningless bowl games (4). The Orange, Outback, Peach & Citrus are meaningless?

The bigger the game the less likely his team will win. That's not the mark of a great coach. He wins the games he's supposed to. But can't win the big games that matter. The numbers don't lie.

Yeah, I get he's lost more big games than he's won. Outside of OSU, who hasn't done that in the B1G in this timeframe?

Yes, those bowl games are meaningless. Hell, alot of kids sat out those games. Why would I hold a glorified exhibition game against him? It's just my philosophy.

Yeah, I get he's lost more big games than he's won. Outside of OSU, who hasn't done that in the B1G in this timeframe?

Yes, those bowl games are meaningless. Hell, alot of kids sat out those games. Why would I hold a glorified exhibition game against him? It's just my philosophy.

So to you all bowl games outisde of the playoff are meaningless? And it doesn't matter what other teams have done. No other program has a coach with the hype of Harbaugh. And he hasn't lived up to any of the hype.

So to you all bowl games outisde of the playoff are meaningless? And it doesn't matter what other teams have done. No other program has a coach with the hype of Harbaugh. And he hasn't lived up to any of the hype.

Yeah, pretty much. That's what the CFP has done. If the actual athletes themselves think they're meaningless, why would I think otherwise? They're fun to watch, especially when you are getting on them, but they don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I don't really care about the hype, that doesn't mean anything. Am I tired of hearing about JH, yeah sure, it gets annoying, but JH has done at Michigan what pretty much every other coach has done in the B1G since JH arrived. Lose to OSU. And rotate between winning home games against teams like Wisconsin and PSU.

Yeah, pretty much. That's what the CFP has done. If the actual athletes themselves think they're meaningless, why would I think otherwise? They're fun to watch, especially when you are getting on them, but they don't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I don't really care about the hype, that doesn't mean anything. Am I tired of hearing about JH, yeah sure, it gets annoying, but JH has done at Michigan what pretty much every other coach has done in the B1G since JH arrived. Lose to OSU. And rotate between winning home games against teams like Wisconsin and PSU.
Wrong. The only athletes that find them meaningless are those who have playoff hopes. any team below the top 10 and has no hope of breaking top 10, bowl games matter 100%

Change my mind

Within five years others have won their division. Again for me it's about the undeserved hype. He's treated like he's accomplished more than he really has. But I will say this about UofM football. The BigTen is better when they are better. As much as I don't want to say it.

Wrong. The only athletes that find them meaningless are those who have playoff hopes. any team below the top 10 and has no hope of breaking top 10, bowl games matter 100%

Change my mind

These were just SOME of the guys that skipped last year:
Trey Adams, Hunter Bryant(Washington)
Jonathan Garvin, Trevino Hill, Jeff Thomas(Miami)
Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
Mekhi Bechton, Louisville
Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State
CJ Henderson, Florida
Brandon Aiyuk, ASU
Cam Akers, FSU
Kaylin Johnson, Utah
Tre Diggs, Terrell Lewis, Alabama
Kamal Martin, Minnesota
Andrew Thomas, UGA
AJ Dillon, Boston College

Lot of dudes on that list that had no hope of making the CFP. They are meaningless. And that was just in 2019.

Change your mind?

Within five years others have won their division. Again for me it's about the undeserved hype. He's treated like he's accomplished more than he really has. But I will say this about UofM football. The BigTen is better when they are better. As much as I don't want to say it.

I don't know anyone that treats him likes he's a top 5 coach or anything. He's a top 10/15 coach in CFB. Even Maize said so himself. It's pretty easy to not listen to the "hype". Just ignore it, if you think it still exists.

These were just SOME of the guys that skipped last year:
Trey Adams, Hunter Bryant(Washington)
Jonathan Garvin, Trevino Hill, Jeff Thomas(Miami)
Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
Mekhi Bechton, Louisville
Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State
CJ Henderson, Florida
Brandon Aiyuk, ASU
Cam Akers, FSU
Kaylin Johnson, Utah
Tre Diggs, Terrell Lewis, Alabama
Kamal Martin, Minnesota
Andrew Thomas, UGA
AJ Dillon, Boston College

Lot of dudes on that list that had no hope of making the CFP. They are meaningless. And that was just in 2019.

Change your mind?
Not even close, everyone has their reasons but id say 99% of players who played and didnt skip most certainly felt it was not meaningless, since they didnt skip.......

maybe if you could even approach 5% of players you might have a fraction of an argument but nah

I don't know how his contract is structured, but if it is all guaranteed, then I would restructure it for incentives for results.
ALL HC coaching contracts should be structured as "incentives for results". I'd like to see that kind of structure for the players in the pros too!

Never will happen...

well, "just because..." :rolleyes2:

Not even close, everyone has their reasons but id say 99% of players who played and didnt skip most certainly felt it was not meaningless, since they didnt skip.......

maybe if you could even approach 5% of players you might have a fraction of an argument but nah

The outcome of the game is meaningless when you factor in everything. There are certainly things that are meaningful for these glorified exhibitions, extra practice, teams that don't make bowl games very often etc. But drawing any conclusions from these games is also meaningless in itself.

The year before there were 20 guys or so that didn't play in them.

Also, it should be noted Michigan had 4 players skip the bowl game against UF 2 years ago. Which were all starters obviously. Which is 4.8% of the roster.

The outcome of the game is meaningless when you factor in everything. There are certainly things that are meaningful for these glorified exhibitions, extra practice, teams that don't make bowl games very often etc. But drawing any conclusions from these games is also meaningless in itself.

The year before there were 20 guys or so that didn't play in them.

Also, it should be noted Michigan had 4 players skip the bowl game against UF 2 years ago. Which were all starters obviously. Which is 4.8% of the roster.
LOL again not enough to matter, 2 years ago Michigan had a lot better record and finished top 10 therefore your argument is null

The games are to get another shot at impressing someone and while the score at the end might hold very little weight the performance on the field still does.

Bowl games matter, just not how YOU want them to.

LOL again not enough to matter, 2 years ago Michigan had a lot better record and finished top 10 therefore your argument is null

The games are to get another shot at impressing someone and while the score at the end might hold very little weight the performance on the field still does.

Bowl games matter, just not how YOU want them to.

Yeah, pretty much like I said, the outcome of the game is completely irrelevant. It simply doesn't matter. I'd probably have a different take on this if all the best players weren't opting out of playing them. They're only going to continue to be more irrelevant as this trend continues.

Back