Mondays game is gonna be a classic.

Yes,
no,
hopefully UW,
yes
Same
What the Michigan fans don't know is that their defense rules on subpar offenses.

Let's reflect on each team Michigan has faced this year....

Where have these teams respectively ranked in offence?

East Carolina.....127
UNLV.........42
Bowling Greem....107
Rutgers....120
Nebraska....115
Minnesota...122
Indiana...99
Michigan St.....125
Purdue....69
Penn State.....53
Maryland....63
Ohio State....47
Iowa....130

UW....10

Odunze...but I'm sure they'll move Odunze around

What the Michigan fans don't know is that their defense rules on subpar offenses.

East Carolina.....127
UNLV.........42
Bowling Greem....107
Rutgers....120
Nebraska....115
Minnesota...122
Indiana...99
Michigan St.....125
Purdue....69
Penn State.....53
Maryland....63
Ohio State....47
Iowa....130

UW....10
They've faced two passing offenses in the top 50, Maryland at 21 and OSU at 30.

UW has faced 5 defenses in the top 50, Utah 13, Oregon 22, Texas 34, Oregon State 39, Arizona 48.

None of those are in the top 50 for passing yards allowed from what I see.

Pretty much supports the neither team has really experienced what the other is bringing all year. And considering they play in two different conferences (for now) that generally offer two different styles, how much do any of those stat rankings matter when it comes to figuring out how this game is going to go?

I think both will have success doing what they want to do on offense. Which probably favors Michigan because what they want to do is sustain drives and keep UW's offense sidelined. But, UW has the "a certain something... what the French call, I don't know what" factor on offense to balance everything out.

Reactions: Fog
game is in another dome.. this has to be favorable for Udub.. getting those WRs on turf..

This game either comes down to the last possession, like every UW game has since October, or this game is won by either team by 17+ points. I could see any of that happening.

This game either comes down to the last possession, like every UW game has since October, or this game is won by either team by 17+ points. I could see any of that happening.

So the game could be close or it could be a blowout and one of the teams will win.

I think you're going to end up being right

You guys know what I mean. It's either going to be a finish like the semi games were, or one of these teams win comfortably.

I think Michigan has been the best team for most of the year. They were dominant early against weak competition, but they have been really gritty and tough down the stretch against really good competition incuding @ Penn State, Ohio State and Alabama @ Rose Bowl. I don't think they are a super powerful team compared to past CFP National Champions, but they are the best so far this year. They remind of the better teams in the 90s somewhere between 1994 Penn State and 1999 Florida State. That being said, Washington is really good too, and (14-0) vs. (14-0) is groovy. I'll be rooting for the Huskies to pull the Upset.

thinking Michigan by double digits or Washington wins on the last possession. Very curious to see how this Ravens defense fares in this game

East Carolina.....127
UNLV.........42
Bowling Greem....107
Rutgers....120
Nebraska....115
Minnesota...122
Indiana...99
Michigan St.....125
Purdue....69
Penn State.....53
Maryland....63
Ohio State....47
Iowa....130

UW....10
So does that mean Michigan should say -- what Washington doesn't know is -- their passing offense rules on subpar pass defenses.

Let's look at the superior pass defenses Washington has faced this year.

Boise State 107th ranked passing defense
Tulsa 127th ranked passing defense
Michigan State 88th ranked passing defense
California 128th ranked passing defense
Arizona 90th ranked passing defense
Arizona State 119th ranked passing defense
Stanford 130th ranked passing defense
USC 101st ranked passing defense
Utah 65th ranked passing defense
Oregon State 82nd ranked passing defense
Washington State 89th ranked passing defense
Oregon 54th ranked passing defense
Texas 113th ranked passing defense

The BEST passing defense they faced all year ranks 54th out of 130 teams. Stanford, Cal, Tulsa are 3 of the 4 worst pass defenses in all of CFB. Michigan ranks 2nd.

Did I do this right?

They've faced two passing offenses in the top 50, Maryland at 21 and OSU at 30.

UW has faced 5 defenses in the top 50, Utah 13, Oregon 22, Texas 34, Oregon State 39, Arizona 48.

None of those are in the top 50 for passing yards allowed from what I see.
Washington has faced 0 teams with a top 50 of passing defense. Washington has faced 11 teams ranked in the bottom 50 teams in passing defense, including 3 of the worst 4 teams.

Washington has faced 0 teams with a top 50 of passing defense. Washington has faced 11 teams ranked in the bottom 50 teams in passing defense, including 3 of the worst 4 teams.
Washington also plays teams that have to face the Penix, Williams, Ward, and Nix offenses all year.

We've only got to wait one more day to find out, but seeing some breakdown of Michigan v the best offense they've faced, I'm comfortable saying Penix doesn't miss one of these:

I think if you're banking on your defense winning this game, you're going to be very disappointed. But I don't think Michigan is banking on their defense winning the game. I have real concerns, Michigan's defensive stat rankings just aren't it.

Washington also plays teams that have to face the Penix, Williams, Ward, and Nix offenses all year.

We've only got to wait one more day to find out, but seeing some breakdown of Michigan v the best offense they've faced, I'm comfortable saying Penix doesn't miss one of these:

I think if you're banking on your defense winning this game, you're going to be very disappointed. But I don't think Michigan is banking on their defense winning the game. I have real concerns, Michigan's defensive stat rankings just aren't it.

Do I think it will be 9-6? Absolutely not. I think Washington will score. I just think Michigan will be able to get some stops. It will come down to Washington defensive front. If they can stop UM's run throughout the game. If UM can run and put themselves in 2nd and 3rd and short. I really like our chances. If Washington can stop the run -- I really like Washington's chance.

Only way this game turns into an absolute shootout is if UM gets down by multiple touchdowns early and have to leave the rushing offense behind and throw the whole time.

Do I think it will be 9-6? Absolutely not. I think Washington will score. I just think Michigan will be able to get some stops. It will come down to Washington defensive front. If they can stop UM's run throughout the game. If UM can run and put themselves in 2nd and 3rd and short. I really like our chances. If Washington can stop the run -- I really like Washington's chance.

Only way this game turns into an absolute shootout is if UM gets down by multiple touchdowns early and have to leave the rushing offense behind and throw the whole time.
I mean, UW isn't unstoppable, they'll have to punt and kick field goals for sure. But I'm feeling pretty good about them getting theirs.

Yes, Michigan controlling the time and grinding is the concern. If UW can get up by more than one score at any point, I'm going to be feeling really good. If it's within one score in either direction late I'm gonna be feeling not so good.

I mean, UW isn't unstoppable, they'll have to punt and kick field goals for sure. But I'm feeling pretty good about them getting theirs.

Yes, Michigan controlling the time and grinding is the concern. If UW can get up by more than one score at any point, I'm going to be feeling really good. If it's within one score in either direction late I'm gonna be feeling not so good.
Michigan's offensive line isn't as good as it was the last two years. They are still good, but not like the last two years. Plus, our All-American OL broke his leg in the OSU game, so he obviously hasn't played since.

So stopping Michigan running the ball is possible. Usually early in games -- teams do pretty good against the run. It is the 2nd half where UM's offensive style wears on teams. Michigan has to get to that point though. If Washington gets up early -- they may have to change things up.

For the first time all year -- I hope we win the coin toss and take the ball. Because I think getting out in front is going to be a huge advantage for whichever team gets out front.