NIL info

lol not saying we are fucked.. just saying there's still ways that will separate the have and have nots..

And yes I want no cap.. UT had 2 compliance offices and presidents that always stressed academics and morals over sports.. For everyone thinking UT been paying players at the rate as other schools, it wasn't and never has.. Now where there players who benifitted being in Austin, especially for the ones that were performing well? Sure.. that's the $100 handshakes or a new vehicle and uncle got as a present for their nephew..

but they weren't even in the same arena from what Saban was doing at Bama when he arrived there. I love the current landscape because UT is finally flexing it's muscles.. I know tosu fans feel the same way now too.

UM is another school if they got their shit together would benefit greatly in this new landscape.
Why do you think professional sports all have some type of cap, but college sports shouldn't? What's the rationale behind that?

they do make money off appearances.. how do you think collectives work??
What they currently make has no relation whatsoever to any commercial value. That's obvious.

How I think they want it to work is:

- Direct payment from the school - as with all collective bargaining, the floor will be higher than it would normally be, but the ceiling will be lower for some. I've said this before ... LeBron would have made far more than the NBA max at his peak, and there are journeyman players making way more than the 13th or 14th player should make.

- True NIL - but the payment has to be tied to real commercial value. Great players will be able to make a ton, because of their social media pull, or their ability to pitch products and services.

How they get there, who knows. But that's where they are heading, although they are being pushed.

How I think they want it to work is:

- Direct payment from the school - as with all collective bargaining, the floor will be higher than it would normally be, but the ceiling will be lower for some. I've said this before ... LeBron would have made far more than the NBA max at his peak, and there are journeyman players making way more than the 13th or 14th player should make.

- True NIL - but the payment has to be tied to real commercial value. Great players will be able to make a ton, because of their social media pull, or their ability to pitch products and services.

How they get there, who knows. But that's where they are heading, although they are being pushed.
sounds great for QBs and some WRs coming out of high school.. but what about 5 star OL? Again you will have agents putting in crazy deals for a player people don't know to trump his pay over any other school... they'll just use a card co to cover it.

I do not have that percentage at the moment. The minimum is a free degree, free housing, free food, free swag, etc. which to my knowledge the majority of varsity athletes have (aside from walk-ons).
most teams dont have a scholarship for everyone.
take golf for example. D1 gets 4.5 scholarships per team.
now look at the team sizes.
#1 North Carolina has 9
#15 Oklahoma has 12
#25 Ohio State also 12

maybe a coach has a method where he divides the scholarships equally. 4.5/12=.375 of a scholarship per player.
maybe upper classman get a little more. OK has 3 SR, 3 Jr, 2 so and 4 Fr. so maybe .5 per Sr, .4 per JR leaving .3 per so and Fr each.

#1 North Carolina has 9
#15 Oklahoma has 12
#25 Ohio State also 12

maybe a coach has a method where he divides the scholarships equally. 4.5/12=.375 of a scholarship per player.
maybe upper classman get a little more. OK has 3 SR, 3 Jr, 2 so and 4 Fr. so maybe .5 per Sr, .4 per JR leaving .3 per so and Fr each.
Good information, I did not know that.

#1 North Carolina has 9
#15 Oklahoma has 12
#25 Ohio State also 12

Yep. Doesn't baseball get only something like 13?

I wonder if scholarship money will disappear, making NIL money responsible for paying tuition? It seems redundant to pay someone to play for you, while you pay for his/her education to attend your university so he/she can play for you.

I wonder if scholarship money will disappear, making NIL money responsible for paying tuition? It seems redundant to pay someone to play for you, while you pay for his/her education to attend your university so he/she can play for you.
Until it is, NIL still isnt paid directly from the school

#1 North Carolina has 9
#15 Oklahoma has 12
#25 Ohio State also 12

you know for sports like these, there are collectives that cover the other scholarships for those players as well. Where you will see a big push is on the baseball field.. LSU pretty much bought it's championship team a season ago.. will see more schools in this mix in the future

you know for sports like these, there are collectives that cover the other scholarships for those players as well. Where you will see a big push is on the baseball field.. LSU pretty much bought it's championship team a season ago.. will see more schools in this mix in the future
i mean now sure that will help some of it.
but just like other money I wont be surprised if collective money still favors football and bball.

i mean now sure that will help some of it.
but just like other money I wont be surprised if collective money still favors football and bball.
they will but there are different collectives.. like there are specific ones to UT basketball, baseball, golf and rowing..

The basketball one is headed with a group that includes TJ Ford. Jordan Spieth contributes to the UT golf team as do other former players.

Again this is another example of a divide

they will but there are different collectives.. like there are specific ones to UT basketball, baseball, golf and rowing..

The basketball one is headed with a group that includes TJ Ford. Jordan Spieth contributes to the UT golf team as do other former players.

Again this is another example of a divide
are NIL deals now determining how the athlete uses the money?

you know for sports like these, there are collectives that cover the other scholarships for those players as well. Where you will see a big push is on the baseball field.. LSU pretty much BOUGHT it's championship team a season ago.. will see more schools in this mix in the future
Money money money
It's a rich team's world

Good information, I did not know that.
Yeah, partial scholarships is a big thing in men's sports not basketball and football. Women get treated better because there needed to be the same number as men, and with basketball and football being at 100-ish, that's a lot of women's bowling schollies you can give away.

We just signed a guy from Georgia who has offers from decent D1 schools. He's a depth piece with a ton of upside. He skipped D1 schools that offered scholarships. He will get most paid by Hope, our lottery money, and then NIL. He's what used to be referred to as a "blue shirt" or a "grey shirt." He will play with the chance to win a scholarship. Meantime he gets developed and can transfer in a couple years with 2 or 3 years of eligibility.

Yeah, partial scholarships is a big thing in men's sports not basketball and football. Women get treated better because there needed to be the same number as men, and with basketball and football being at 100-ish, that's a lot of women's bowling schollies you can give away.
I've got two good friends that I golf with a lot who both have young daughters. They're both going to be golfing a lot because it seems like women's golf scholarships are out there for the taking and the bar isn't very high.