NL East Smack Talk

They're currently on the outside looking in. The potential hope is that the Rays might be resting people if they lock up first overall.

The bullpen fucked them pretty hard, but they had two games against the Mets last week where they scored a bunch early and then let the Mets' bullpen shut them down, while their bullpen predictably blew it. They win those two games, they're up a half game on the Marlins for second and are almost assured getting in as a third place team.
Their BP has been bad, no doubt, but still, the Phillies and Mets have no business missing an 8 team playoff.

The Marlins have made the playoffs twice and have won the WS twice. They don’t have near the pieces either of those other two team did, but it’s tempting to put in a low risk/high reward bet

They look pretty interesting the next few years. That rotation is loaded with young arms though losing Hernandez stinks. Sanchez and Lopez both look like they could be stars. I can't wait to see what that rotation can do next year

They look pretty interesting the next few years. That rotation is loaded with young arms though losing Hernandez stinks. I can't wait to see what they can do next year
Sixto Sanchez has a rough start last night, but he looks like he can be a true ace.

I think they’re gonna have to get some bats in order to truly compete. They don’t have a terrible offense, but they don’t have anyone in the lineup that scares you.

Their BP has been bad, no doubt, but still, the Phillies and Mets have no business missing an 8 team playoff.
I agree, the lineup and the front end of the rotation are playoff-caliber. The GM and president should be held accountable for their failure to assemble a major league bullpen before and during the season.

I agree, the lineup and the front end of the rotation are playoff-caliber. The GM and president should be held accountable for their failure to assemble a major league bullpen before and during the season.
You can build up a bullpen relatively quickly. Braves went from one of the worst pens in 18 to having one of the best top 5 relievers in the game this year(the offense and the bullpen saved this season)

You can build up a bullpen relatively quickly. Braves went from one of the worst pens in 18 to having one of the best top 5 relievers in the game this year(the offense and the bullpen saved this season)
You can, if you either develop relievers or get the right guys in. And I don't even want their bullpen to be fantastic (but that would be nice). Just an adequate bullpen would have probably gotten them 3 more wins. Hembree and Phelps have been disasters in Philly, and Workman is turning into one after having a decent stretch to start.

You can build up a bullpen relatively quickly. Braves went from one of the worst pens in 18 to having one of the best top 5 relievers in the game this year(the offense and the bullpen saved this season
You can, if you either develop relievers or get the right guys in. And I don't even want their bullpen to be fantastic (but that would be nice). Just an adequate bullpen would have probably gotten them 3 more wins. Hembree and Phelps have been disasters in Philly, and Workman is turning into one after having a decent stretch to start.
getting Melancon, Greene, Martin and O’Day in trades really built up the pen. Also Jacob Webb has developed nicely and even A.J. Minter has been strong ever since Josh Tomlin took him under his wing

You can build up a bullpen relatively quickly. Braves went from one of the worst pens in 18 to having one of the best top 5 relievers in the game this year(the offense and the bullpen saved this season

getting Melancon, Greene, Martin and O’Day in trades really built up the pen. Also Jacob Webb has developed nicely and even A.J. Minter has been strong ever since Josh Tomlin took him under his wing

I still don't trust Minter very much when all the chips are on the table.

Sixto Sanchez has a rough start last night, but he looks like he can be a true ace.

I think they’re gonna have to get some bats in order to truly compete. They don’t have a terrible offense, but they don’t have anyone in the lineup that scares you.

yeah. The offense hasn't been awful, but it's mostly older players/journeymen save for Anderson and Cooper. There's a few prospects in there but Chisholm doesn't look like he's ready for the majors. Brinson's looked much better the last month or so but it seems like that has a lot to do with a high BABIP. Others like Sanchez and Harrison have only around 40-50 plate appearances but have struggled.

if this were a full season, I think this team would finish closer to 70 wins than 80 wins. There's a lot of progress from last year though and I do think they can build a legitimate playoff contender, but I think they're still a year or two away. Probably the latter unless they have a big offseason.

Last edited:
man

the Marlins are gonna make it back to the playoffs before JT Realmuto makes it w/ the Phillies

Congrats on ending the playoff drought
Meant to be on the anniversary of Jose's death. I bawled like a baby when Dee hit that homer the first game back playing. Went to Cincy to watch him pitch, which he lost and he was gone a month later.