Oakland A's Relocating

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
Lol at the organization officially announcing this over notes app. At 10:30 local time. After an ass kicking.

Whatever A's fans still exist are undoubtedly bailing on that franchise as of today. The franchise would be better off completely rebranding themselves in Vegas - drop the Athletics nickname and start over as if it was an expansion franchise.

Been coming a while. Everyone knew it would happen.

Whatever A's fans still exist are undoubtedly bailing on that franchise as of today. The franchise would be better off completely rebranding themselves in Vegas - drop the Athletics nickname and start over as if it was an expansion franchise.
No, they’re one of the founding members of the AL and have a rich history.

The Raiders left for pretty well the same reasons and have had far less success this century than the A’s and didn’t rebrand

Won't happen. They've been the Athletics since 1901 and through moves from Philly to KC to Oakland.

Hope not. Great history and some of the best uni's.

No, they’re one of the founding members of the AL and have a rich history.

The Raiders left for pretty well the same reasons and have had far less success this century than the A’s and didn’t rebrand
The Raiders have a much greater national following than the A's do. The average prospective Vegas fan isn't gonna care about the franchise's history; I think they're gonna care a lot more if the franchise is their own instead of their step-franchise.

So are the owners of the team gonna spend money now or nah?

The Raiders have a much greater national following than the A's do. The average prospective Vegas fan isn't gonna care about the franchise's history; I think they're gonna care a lot more if the franchise is their own instead of their step-franchise.
There’s too much history there, and too much recent success.

Braves have been the Braves through 3 cities. A’s have been the A’s through 3 and hopefully soon to be 4 cities

Fuck the A's owners and fuck Oakland. Sad to see this happen to such a storied franchise.

That being said, I will not miss the Coliseum. Just a travesty of a stadium.

Fuck the A's owners and fuck Oakland. Sad to see this happen to such a storied franchise.

That being said, I will not miss the Coliseum. Just a travesty of a stadium.
Hell, I remember it being called the worst stadium in the majors when I was a kid, like when Fulton County Stadium was still home of the Braves

Won't happen. They've been the Athletics since 1901 and through moves from Philly to KC to Oakland.

I think that the team's most famous bat boy said it best about the team name.

hammer time GIF

There’s too much history there, and too much recent success.

Braves have been the Braves through 3 cities. A’s have been the A’s through 3 and hopefully soon to be 4 cities
I understand the history. I'm taking the stance of an economic realist.

A decade ago, Las Vegas had zero major sports franchises. Locals took very well to their first new expansion Golden Knights they called their own and it has thrived. Like I said, the Raiders already had a very strong national following, so it wasn't difficult to draw attendance and support for that franchise from a national level (beginning with people traveling in to see games on Sunday). And unlike the Raiders that only have 8 or 9 home games to fill, the A's franchise is going to have 82 games in a now suddenly saturated market with not much initial interest from the locals. Getting the locals to go to games won't be as easy this time.

I understand the history. I'm taking the stance of an economic realist.

A decade ago, Las Vegas had zero major sports franchises. Locals took very well to their first new expansion Golden Knights they called their own and it has thrived. Like I said, the Raiders already had a very strong national following, so it wasn't difficult to draw attendance and support for that franchise from a national level (beginning with people traveling in to see games on Sunday). And unlike the Raiders that only have 8 or 9 home games to fill, the A's franchise is going to have 82 games in a now suddenly saturated market with not much initial interest from the locals. Getting the locals to go to games won't be as easy this time.
A name change won’t make it any easier. Vegas is a destination city.

Really and truly, the best way to drum up local interest is to win, and the A’s tend to rebuild well and win above their paygrade. If they win, people will come regardless of name

I'd be surprised if they rebranded, but I suppose we'll see.