Paying Players Superthread

More like lock in the players for two years instead of Limiting nil… but here’s the BIG THING that people have to get behind before this can actually be fixed:
The players primary money is going to have to come from profit sharing of some kind instead of from 3rd party sources. The league will not be viable if 3rd party money is the biggest source of income for the players.
If the players money comes more from league profits than outside sources, then the league can do stuff like setting caps and revenue sharing etc, the things that can lead to a viable league going forward.
I know it’s a big controversy, but it shouldn’t be. Every other for profit league does this.
we are all going to have to sit our asses down, deal with that, and figure this out.

The closest any other for-profit league comes to funding any non-revenue sport is the parasitic relationship the WNBA has with the NBA, and look how swimmingly that is going.

The only way that you can boot the 3rd parties out is to kill every non-revenue sport. I really don't see how you accomplish that with title IX. Unless of course, every football player is willing to sign an affidavit that says they identify as a woman...problem solved.

The closest any other for-profit league comes to funding any non-revenue sport is the parasitic relationship the WNBA has with the NBA, and look how swimmingly that is going.

The only way that you can boot the 3rd parties out is to kill every non-revenue sport. I really don't see how you accomplish that with title IX. Unless of course, every football player is willing to sign an affidavit that says they identify as a woman...problem solved.
It’s like you didn’t read my words at all.
Im not advocating booting third party money. I’m fact, I’m an advocate for it.
im not advocating the nfl pay for cfb.
im saying cfb is the for-profit venture itself, and it needs to pay the principals, the players.

It’s like you didn’t read my words at all.
Im not advocating booting third party money. I’m fact, I’m an advocate for it.
im not advocating the nfl pay for cfb.
im saying cfb is the for-profit venture itself, and it needs to pay the principals, the players.
It's like you don't read your words at all...

"The players primary money is going to have to come from profit sharing of some kind instead of from 3rd party sources. The league will not be viable if 3rd party money is the biggest source of income for the players." That doesn't sound like advocating for it to me.

I'm telling you that football is only a for-profit venture if it doesn't have to pay for non-revenue sports...which it does now.

You can pretend that football is a stand-alone entity that is not affected by non-revenue sports if you want...but you already know the word for people that think stupid thoughts like that.

It is the reason that college football is not like other leagues.

It's like you don't read your words at all...

"The players primary money is going to have to come from profit sharing of some kind instead of from 3rd party sources. The league will not be viable if 3rd party money is the biggest source of income for the players." That doesn't sound like advocating for it to me.

I'm telling you that football is only a for-profit venture if it doesn't have to pay for non-revenue sports...which it does now.

You can pretend that football is a stand-alone entity that is not affected by non-revenue sports if you want...but you already know the word for people that think stupid thoughts like that.

It is the reason that college football is not like other leagues.
Yeah. It WILL have to be different than it is now. That is literally the thing we are arguing about.
“ME: It will have to be different going forward.
YOU: But it’s this way now.”

bruh. Talking past each other doesn’t do anything.

It could very well be that title 9 gets in the way of certain things. But the scotus already has dropped the hammer on the status quo.

10F51778-7A8B-4099-8F43-1A64FA26EB9B.jpeg

Yeah. It WILL have to be different than it is now. That is literally the thing we are arguing about.
“ME: It will have to be different going forward.
YOU: But it’s this way now.”

bruh. Talking past each other doesn’t do anything.

It could very well be that title 9 gets in the way of certain things. But the scotus already has dropped the hammer on the status quo.

View attachment 52576

Well, until the hammer drops on Title IX, and they are just like every other for-profit sports league, it's all moot.

should have heard Rick Neuheisel cry and moan today on SiriusXM.. he was upset, said no tosu player should flip to UT, and the only reason was NIL lol. Like dipshit, that had nothing to do with it.. he committed there because of Coombs who got demoted, and they hired a new DC. And then there were the Day to Bears rumors that popped up. What does that have to do with NIL?

I’ve given this a lot of thought and in IMO this is the best solution to benefit the Players and the Programs......

The NCAA should make a rule where you have to be enrolled at a School for a full calendar year before you can sign NIL deals...unless you are a Grad Transfer. If you take any money using your NIL before you complete a full year of enrollment, then you lose all eligibility for good. If you transfer then you have to be enrolled at your new school for a year before you can make money on your NIL.

This would make kids think harder about transferring because they wouldn’t want to wait an extra year to make money while also allowing them to make money their last 2 or 3 years on campus. And it would make it easier/more fair on programs and coaches to manage their roster

I’ve given this a lot of thought and in IMO this is the best solution to benefit the Players and the Programs......

The NCAA should make a rule where you have to be enrolled at a School for a full calendar year before you can sign NIL deals...unless you are a Grad Transfer. If you take any money using your NIL before you complete a full year of enrollment, then you lose all eligibility for good. If you transfer then you have to be enrolled at your new school for a year before you can make money on your NIL.

This would make kids think harder about transferring because they wouldn’t want to wait an extra year to make money while also allowing them to make money their last 2 or 3 years on campus. And it would make it easier/more fair on programs and coaches to manage their roster
You, nor anyone else, don’t get to tell people they can’t make money. What aren’t you getting about this? Also, fuck the ncaa. They’re the greedy colluding dictatorial unethical fucks that got us into this mess.

This is a multi billion for-profit league. Incentivize the players by paying them, NOT by setting up arbitrary rules about what they can make in their free time (which is wholly illegal, unethical, unamerican, etc).

This just makes every other school hate Texas ever worse. I'm all for it.

You, nor anyone else, don’t get to tell people they can’t make money. What aren’t you getting about this? Also, fuck the ncaa. They’re the greedy colluding dictatorial unethical fucks that got us into this mess.

This is a multi billion for-profit league. Incentivize the players by paying them, NOT by setting up arbitrary rules about what they can make in their free time (which is wholly illegal, unethical, unamerican, etc).
You can make all the money you want...but if you do it before you are enrolled a full calendar year then you would be declared ineligible under my idea. Years 2,3,4,5 make as much fucking money as you want

I wonder who’s been saying this for two decades…
“"The NCAA is not above the law," Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in a concurring opinion. "The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."

I wonder who’s been saying this for two decades…
“"The NCAA is not above the law," Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote in a concurring opinion. "The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."
Its a good thing none of the other Justices agreed with him.

That being said, clearly whether through NIL or other means, the players will be getting paid.

Its a good thing none of the other Justices agreed with him.

That being said, clearly whether through NIL or other means, the players will be getting paid.
Ummm what? It was a concurring opinion.

Ummm what? It was a concurring opinion.
Correct. No one else joined him in his concurrence and that is significant. If 5 or more Justices agreed with what he said, he would have written the majority opinion and what he wrote would have been the law of the land. Because that didn't happen, what Kavanaugh wrote isn't binding precedent. It is what is called "dicta." If any of less than 5 agreed with him, they could have and would have joined him in his concurrence. None did, meaning they don't agree with what he said. It's not unusual for more than one person to join a concurrence, or to have more than one concurrence. Sometimes cases will have 4 or 5 opinions ... the majority, the dissent, and then multiple concurrences to both the majority and dissenting opinions. In a 5 to 4 decision, you might get the majority with 2 concurrences explaining how they would have gone further, and then the dissent where you might have 2 groups of 2 who give two different reasons for why they dissent.

It's one of the frustrating things I see when sports writers and others quote Kavanaugh's concurrence as if it is binding law. It's not. That's not to say what he wrote isn't important. Justices often write concurrences to provide future litigants with a framework as to how they might challenge the issue further. But again, he would have to convince at least 4 other Justices to go along with his broader interpretation for that to become the law.

If you listen to the oral arguments you see why they didn't join him. Most of the other Justices made it clear they see this as a very unique area, and they are very deferential to college athletes and the difference between college and pro sports. Even Kavanaugh acknowledges that, he just thinks it shouldn't matter. His is a throw the baby out with the bath water view, while the others are more cautious.

I got curious to see if I could find the SCOTUS case with the most opinions. I didn't, but I did find a quick quote that wraps up what I was saying:

Once the votes have been tallied, the senior justice in the majority (either the chief justice or, if he dissents, the justice in the majority who has served on the court the longest) will assign someone to write the majority opinion.

If a minority of justices believe that the case should have reached a different outcome, the senior most justice in that group assigns someone to write a dissenting opinion. Any justice can also write a separate dissent of their own.

And if a justice agrees with the decision but disagrees with the reasoning behind it, they may write a concurring opinion, which others have the option to join.

The thing I got wrong is that you don't have concurrences to the dissent. You have multiple dissents, although that seems to be a matter of form over substance.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

You can make all the money you want...but if you do it before you are enrolled a full calendar year then you would be declared ineligible under my idea. Years 2,3,4,5 make as much fucking money as you want
Would you work a year for free?

Correct. No one else joined him in his concurrence and that is significant. If 5 or more Justices agreed with what he said, he would have written the majority opinion and what he wrote would have been the law of the land. Because that didn't happen, what Kavanaugh wrote isn't binding precedent. It is what is called "dicta." If any of less than 5 agreed with him, they could have and would have joined him in his concurrence. None did, meaning they don't agree with what he said. It's not unusual for more than one person to join a concurrence, or to have more than one concurrence. Sometimes cases will have 4 or 5 opinions ... the majority, the dissent, and then multiple concurrences to both the majority and dissenting opinions. In a 5 to 4 decision, you might get the majority with 2 concurrences explaining how they would have gone further, and then the dissent where you might have 2 groups of 2 who give two different reasons for why they dissent.

It's one of the frustrating things I see when sports writers and others quote Kavanaugh's concurrence as if it is binding law. It's not. That's not to say what he wrote isn't important. Justices often write concurrences to provide future litigants with a framework as to how they might challenge the issue further. But again, he would have to convince at least 4 other Justices to go along with his broader interpretation for that to become the law.

If you listen to the oral arguments you see why they didn't join him. Most of the other Justices made it clear they see this as a very unique area, and they are very deferential to college athletes and the difference between college and pro sports. Even Kavanaugh acknowledges that, he just thinks it shouldn't matter. His is a throw the baby out with the bath water view, while the others are more cautious.

I got curious to see if I could find the SCOTUS case with the most opinions. I didn't, but I did find a quick quote that wraps up what I was saying:

Once the votes have been tallied, the senior justice in the majority (either the chief justice or, if he dissents, the justice in the majority who has served on the court the longest) will assign someone to write the majority opinion.

If a minority of justices believe that the case should have reached a different outcome, the senior most justice in that group assigns someone to write a dissenting opinion. Any justice can also write a separate dissent of their own.

And if a justice agrees with the decision but disagrees with the reasoning behind it, they may write a concurring opinion, which others have the option to join.

The thing I got wrong is that you don't have concurrences to the dissent. You have multiple dissents, although that seems to be a matter of form over substance.

Hope that clears up the confusion.
It was a 9-0 decision.
Writing a concurrent decision doesn’t mean no one else agreed with your points. It doesn’t mean that at all.
SCOTUS purposefully punted that one issue because it narrowly put parameters on what it was deciding in THIS case: whether anti-trust laws were properly applied by the District Court in THIS case.