Playing Music in the Car with Your Significant Other

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
attachment-Circuit-Dating-and-Driving-Deal-Breakers.jpg

What I find most interesting about this survey result is that last one - music in the car. (I'm a little surprised metal is less of a "problem" than country and rap.)

So let's have a little discussion about music in the car...

Do you have issues with what music is played when in the car when with your significant other?
Do you have personal rules or agreed-upon rules for it?
Does your music choices change if you're driving solo versus together?
Are there musical acts or genres that you love and your significant other hates that causes friction? If there is friction, how far has it gotten?

Personally, I'm pretty lucky in this regard. My wife and I listen to pretty much the same music, so there are very few issues.

One rule we have always had is the driver has control of the music, but the passenger is free to make requests - which rarely happens.

Really the only issue we have is... Wu-Tang Clan I love and she hates. Madonna and The B-52s she loves and I hate. We both listen to those only when riding solo for the most part. If there happens to be a music shuffle active and one of those acts come on, the driver has control of skipping it or letting it ride. Typically, it will be skipped out of respect for the passenger; but every once in a while the driver is really digging it and lets it ride and the passenger has no issue with it out of respect for the driver.

People have way too many hangups.

I drive drunk, while road raging mid-text, while the car ahead of me is riding my front bumper, with my elbow on the horn, with my cooler using my seat belt, while blasting the most modern gospel music and I never turn off my brights.

Who's with me?

I drive.
I'm the Captain of the ship.
We listen to what I want to listen to.

Lucky my wife and I are on the exact same page.
I drive 99+% of the time if the trip is shorter than 4 hours. On longer trips we split driving into even segments and rotate to give each other breaks. We also have a rule that she drives in Michigan. She grew up there so she gets to claim it. I have absolutely no problem with that because Michigan roads always suck and I don't really wanna drive them anyway.

I drive 99+% of the time if the trip is shorter than 4 hours. On longer trips we split driving into even segments and rotate to give each other breaks. We also have a rule that she drives in Michigan. She grew up there so she gets to claim it. I have absolutely no problem with that because Michigan roads always suck and I don't really wanna drive them anyway.

Almost the only time I drive is when I'm alone. Which is rare.

My wife likes to drive. I let her.

attachment-Circuit-Dating-and-Driving-Deal-Breakers.jpg

What I find most interesting about this survey result is that last one - music in the car. (I'm a little surprised metal is less of a "problem" than country and rap.)

So let's have a little discussion about music in the car...

Do you have issues with what music is played when in the car when with your significant other?
Do you have personal rules or agreed-upon rules for it?
Does your music choices change if you're driving solo versus together?
Are there musical acts or genres that you love and your significant other hates that causes friction? If there is friction, how far has it gotten?

Personally, I'm pretty lucky in this regard. My wife and I listen to pretty much the same music, so there are very few issues.

One rule we have always had is the driver has control of the music, but the passenger is free to make requests - which rarely happens.

Really the only issue we have is... Wu-Tang Clan I love and she hates. Madonna and The B-52s she loves and I hate. We both listen to those only when riding solo for the most part. If there happens to be a music shuffle active and one of those acts come on, the driver has control of skipping it or letting it ride. Typically, it will be skipped out of respect for the passenger; but every once in a while the driver is really digging it and lets it ride and the passenger has no issue with it out of respect for the driver.
My radio is always on classic rock so "none of the above" I have Sirius XM in the SUV so the choices are unlimited.

My radio is always on classic rock so "none of the above" I have Sirius XM in the SUV so the choices are unlimited.
I've got nothing against classic rock, but listening to it through the radio means I'm constantly hearing the same old most popular rock songs from the most popular old rock bands I've heard fifteen thousand times. I can't listen to classic rock on the radio because I'm pretty sick of hearing everything played.

When I feel like popping on some original Van Halen, I'll shuffle full albums.

Me, my wife, and son are going to be driving through Wisconsin and a lot of Minnesota because my son wants to see the Mall of America very much.

I'm taking two days off work to take my son to see a gigantic mall.

I'll be driving that.

I've got nothing against classic rock, but listening to it through the radio means I'm constantly hearing the same old most popular rock songs from the most popular old rock bands I've heard fifteen thousand times. I can't listen to classic rock on the radio because I'm pretty sick of hearing everything played.

When I feel like popping on some original Van Halen, I'll shuffle full albums.
There's a great station called "Deep Tracks" I love to listen to. Great bands you love but tracks that didn't get a shit ton of air play. Awesome stuff!

My girlfriend is 'old school' and expects me to drive. I'm cool with whatever she wants to listen to which is either country or classic rock. I like both as well.
She actually programed the radio and XM stations and also set up the bluetooth when I bought the pick-up new last March.

Regarding "turnoffs" for me is people camped out in the passing lane and making people pass them on the right or people who forget to turn their turn signal off.

My wife likes to talk while we drive. We hardly ever listen to music

I like that.

Sometimes my wife likes to do that, too. But otherwise she's just yammering about shit I don't care about.

Our van radio doesn't have volumn knobs, so I have to click the sound up on the steering wheel. Pretending like she doesn't notice.