Post here if your base salary is higher then Caitlin Clark’s.

Already it's being used as fodder for some vague "gender pay gap" in women's sports argument.

It kinda made sense for the U.S. Women's Soccer Team, since they were bringing in ratings that even the sucky men could not. But since the WNBA is less profitable than someone selling farts on the Internet, it completely fails to understand how capitalism works.

The “equal pay” tards are purposefully ignorant. They know the WNBA would fold if they tried to pay their players like the NBA. But that’s not going to stop them from using it as a bs “look sexism” argument.

That's because they shouldn't.

It's for old people -- or young people lacking too much talent to play professional tennis, and lacking enough dignity to play professional pickleball.

Sounds like a big if. Either way, cash on delivery, not upfront.

Maybe it is. If I had to guess, I'd say this is somewhat sustainable. Ratings were already on the uptick year over year. I'm going to guess the average rating will probably double what it was last year. I can see the ESPN, ABC, CBS games to average over 1 million viewers.

Maybe it is. If I had to guess, I'd say this is somewhat sustainable. Ratings were already on the uptick year over year. I'm going to guess the average rating will probably double what it was last year. I can see the ESPN, ABC, CBS games to average over 1 million viewers.
2023 was reportedly heavy losses. No one knows how much the NBA still kicks in as subsidy, but it was 50% of revenue just a few years ago.

The bottom line is, this was just one draft, off the heels of a highly rated college tournament. That doesn’t translate to big increases in viewership and sales or even a business plan to get there. Get some results first, showing that it’s moving in the right direction, and maybe it’s time for a gamble. It’s not acquiring / retaining talent was the WNBA’s biggest problem, and as I said previously, the league has had hyped players before.

2023 was reportedly heavy losses. No one knows how much the NBA still kicks in as subsidy, but it was 50% of revenue just a few years ago.

The bottom line is, this was just one draft, off the heels of a highly rated college tournament. That doesn’t translate to big increases in viewership and sales or even a business plan to get there. Get some results first, showing that it’s moving in the right direction, and maybe it’s time for a gamble. It’s not acquiring / retaining talent was the WNBA’s biggest problem, and as I said previously, the league has had hyped players before.

It was already moving in the right direction IMO. There was a sizeable jump in ratings from 2022-2023 in WNBA ratings, and ESPN basically paid 10x what they currently do for broadcasting rights to the women's tournament. The WNBA won't see that type of increase obviously, but projecting forward there will be an increase in television rights fees. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark's games avg 2.5-3 million+ viewers. Which will only help the surrounding games. Honestly, the rights are opening up at a perfect time. Clark will have just finished her 2nd year, and Beckers will have just finished her rookie year. I'm very intrigued to see what type of deal they get.

Mrs Redfoot says I'm a combination of Clark Griswold and Archie Bunker.
I remember an Archie Bunker poster from way back in the day. Full pic of Archie pointing his finger and looking directly into the camera. Caption said “There is a little bit of me in all of you!”

It's for old people -- or young people lacking too much talent to play professional tennis, and lacking enough dignity to play professional pickleball.
I like playing it 2X a year, but agree that it shouldn't be a "professional" sport. There are lots of other games like Spikeball that fall under this same category

I like playing it 2X a year, but agree that it shouldn't be a "professional" sport. There are lots of other games like Spikeball that fall under this same category
Agreed.

Then again, playing video games is now a professional "sport." It's a brave, new, fucked up world.

I knew pickleball was big. I just didn’t know they had a pro circuit.
It's HDQ is here in DFW, as is their world series or whatever the "top" contest is.

I wonder if she would do better to accept a job working under whatever her degree was in.

That salary for her is like the POTUS salary. It's just token.

She can buy and sell all of us.

For the other girls, it's a choice of doing what they love versus working a job they hate competing against shmos who bag on womens basketball for raises.

Many of the girls who aren't even good enough to go to the WNBA will go into coaching and get paid much less.