Scientists discover enzyme that can break down plastic in 24 hours

Yep. We're taking about a symptom instead of the disease, which is just too much stuff being thrown away. Can't tell people not to consume so much, though, that ain't happening.
I try to minimize how much I take to the landfill these days. I wish I knew for sure what happened to my recycling. I don't believe those who say "it just gets put in the landfill like all the rest"

I think it's worse now that grocery stores and everybody else uses plastic bags instead of paper. They're always blowing around and I even see them up in trees.

Also a lot more fast food containers than there were back then.
Can only imagine how beautiful it must have been to see those plastic bags get themselves up in the trees.

I try to minimize how much I take to the landfill these days. I wish I knew for sure what happened to my recycling. I don't believe those who say "it just gets put in the landfill like all the rest"
The feds should start funding recycling. $.05 for every pound of plastic containers/bottles/bags. Would give the homeless a lifeline for a payday. When I was a kid I remember collecting cans to recycle for video game money.

The feds should start funding recycling. $.05 for every pound of plastic containers/bottles/bags. Would give the homeless a lifeline for a payday. When I was a kid I remember collecting cans to recycle for video game money.

yep...put a bounty on it. Up here for 5 cents a can or bottle, the homeless are cleaning up the place.

homeless-man-donald-nelson-collects-bottles-and-cans-which-he-will-picture-id698666

I’d support deposit on way more than just carbonated drink containers.

Cuz it’s rare to see cans and bottles lying around as trash, since they’re worth ten cents.

My brother and I'd walk the ditches for glass soda bottles when we were little. I think we'd get 2 or 3 cents apiece for them when we'd turn them in to the grocery store.

The bottlers would wash and reuse them.

Cuz it’s rare to see cans and bottles lying around as trash, since they’re worth ten cents.
My only issue would be stealing things made of plastic for recycling. Like people do with copper wire or A/C condensers. Steal thousands worth of materials from your home because it is worth $8 to them

The cub scouts in the small town by me have a bin on a street corner for people to put their aluminum cans. They use to fund their troop activities.

My only issue would be stealing things made of plastic for recycling. Like people do with copper wire or A/C condensers. Steal thousands worth of materials from your home because it is worth $8 to them
I was thinking more like milk jugs and orange juice bottles.

Ten cents when you buy it. Ten cents when you bring it back.

I’ve never worried about people stealing my Mountain Dew for the deposit.

The cub scouts in the small town by me have a bin on a street corner for people to put their aluminum cans. They use to fund their troop activities.
They get paid for scrap, or do you guys have deposit?

It’s always weird to me when on traveling and see pop cans in the trash. That’s throwing away money here.

I was thinking more like milk jugs and orange juice bottles.

Ten cents when you buy it. Ten cents when you bring it back.

I’ve never worried about people stealing my Mountain Dew for the deposit.
Yeah, that was my point as well. List out the items that get the deposit or can be recycled. But if you made it just a price for recycling plastic then methheads gonna be out there stripping bumpers off cars en shit.

Yeah, that was my point as well. List out the items that get the deposit or can be recycled. But if you made it just a price for recycling plastic then methheads gonna be out there stripping bumpers off cars en shit.
True.

They stole all my doorknobs once.

There's plenty of individuals here in the City that either make a living, supplement their income, or keep their booze habit intact by collecting cans and bottles. Lots of us will separate ours out for them, so's they don't go rummaging through our cans and making a mess

There's plenty of individuals here in the City that either make a living, supplement their income, or keep their booze habit intact by collecting cans and bottles. Lots of us will separate ours out for them, so's they don't go rummaging through our cans and making a mess
When I lived in Pasadena, my recycling never made it to the recycling truck. Our garbage day was on Monday. I usually put the recycling out around dark on Sunday night. Within an hour, someone would have gone into the can and taken anything they could monetize. On an average Sunday, you’d see four or five people go and look into the can to see if it had already been taken.

When I lived in Pasadena, my recycling never made it to the recycling truck. Our garbage day was on Monday. I usually put the recycling out around dark on Sunday night. Within an hour, someone would have gone into the can and taken anything they could monetize. On an average Sunday, you’d see four or five people go and look into the can to see if it had already been taken.
We get multiple visitors, too. Most of the scroungers in our area are pretty respectful. A lot are immigrants and they're scared of being reported, so they're extremely nice