The European Super League Thread

I hope they come to their collective senses.

The greatest achievement of the Super League is Ed Woodward leaving / ousted.

What a bizarre scene.

I assumed they had this thing ironclad when those first 12 clubs officially announced their intentions and removed themselves from UEFA. Thought there was no way they didn't have agreements with the remaining 3. Now, it's pretty obvious Bayern & PSG were never really on board and the others tried to force their hand. I'm pretty certain if Bayern signed on, Dortmund would have followed suit. Once those 3 announced they would remain out, the English clubs became queasy (the big payout from UEFA to the english clubs helped that).

You gotta worry for the future though. Surely, with the structures in place, this same thing will be tried again.

What a bizarre scene.

I assumed they had this thing ironclad when those first 12 clubs officially announced their intentions and removed themselves from UEFA. Thought there was no way they didn't have agreements with the remaining 3. Now, it's pretty obvious Bayern & PSG were never really on board and the others tried to force their hand. I'm pretty certain if Bayern signed on, Dortmund would have followed suit. Once those 3 announced they would remain out, the English clubs became queasy (the big payout from UEFA to the english clubs helped that).

You gotta worry for the future though. Surely, with the structures in place, this same thing will be tried again.
I’m not sure. Even with institutional memories in sports being what they are (short) I don’t know that this will be tried again anytime soon.

Bottom line is you couldn’t get some needed teams like Bayern and PSG to come along before this went public and faced the most rapid and complete rejection I’ve seen in a long time. You put that shitty hand down and pushed all in to try to force it.

The needed teams that balked are damn sure not going to be easily convinced for a long time, possibly the same for clubs like Chelsea and Tottenham, etc....who are burnt bad from this.

This was a singularly crushing rejection in record time.

I’m not sure. Even with institutional memories in sports being what they are (short) I don’t know that this will be tried again anytime soon.

Bottom line is you couldn’t get some needed teams like Bayern and PSG to come along before this went public and faced the most rapid and complete rejection I’ve seen in a long time. You put that shitty hand down and pushed all in to try to force it.

The needed teams that balked are damn sure not going to be easily convinced for a long time, possibly the same for clubs like Chelsea and Tottenham, etc....who are burnt bad from this.

This was a singularly crushing rejection in record time.

Image wise, it was very damaging. But as far as I'm aware, all the owners are still in place. Some chairmen took the fall, but the underlying structure and greed remains present. If anything was learned by this its that they better have all their ducks in a row and forms signed before trying to spring this stunt again.

Also, I believe all the English clubs got big payouts from UEFA for this. I haven't seen concrete numbers to the payout amount, but it appears to be a motivating factor.

In the end, its possible most clubs got what they wanted out of it.

Last edited:
Image wise, it was very damaging. But as far as I'm aware, all the owners are still in place. Some chairmen took the fall, but the underlying structure and greed remains present. If anything was learned by this its that they better have all their ducks in a row and forms signed before trying to spring this stunt again.

Also, I believe all the English clubs got bit payouts from UEFA for this. I haven't seen concrete numbers to the payout amount, but it appears to be a motivating factor.

That’s an interesting angle that some might have just wanted some kind of payout to stay in place. Which, is bullshit blackmail, but no different that pro teams here moving if they don’t get a billion in tax funds for a new stadium.

Also, I believe all the English clubs got bit payouts from UEFA for this. I haven't seen concrete numbers to the payout amount, but it appears to be a motivating factor.

For now. They were talking on Sky Sports yesterday , that while it won't happen soon, eventually those owners will be driven out. In particular they were mentioning Liverpool, which as everyone knows, their supporters have VERY long memories, and really hold a grudge. Graeme Souness said he doesn't see how the owners will ever be able to show their face around Anfield again, and he knows how Scousers are from both playing for and managing Liverpool.

I think he's right, eventually, FSG will be driven out by the supporters. Probably the Glazers (ManU) and Kroenke (Arsenal) too, though they may take more time as they rarely attend games anyway, but if supporters stay United, and keep it up (with some help from media, the UK govt, and the FA) I can see it happening eventually.

On a side note, I haven't really looked that hard, but while I know the outrage from fans and media in Italy and Spain was strong, I don't know if there were the same kinds of protests from supporters there as there was in England. I have no doubt though that there would have been equal if not even bigger protests in Germany had Bayern or Dortmund been part of the Super League.

Also, I believe all the English clubs got big payouts from UEFA for this. I haven't seen concrete numbers to the payout amount, but it appears to be a motivating factor.

That’s an interesting angle that some might have just wanted some kind of payout to stay in place. Which, is bullshit blackmail, but no different that pro teams here moving if they don’t get a billion in tax funds for a new stadium.
If you follow the link in the article to Mundo Deportivo, the page no longer exists, which tells me it was just a rumor. If it were fact, the British media would have no qualms about publishing it, trust me, I lived there, it would be all over the place if true.

If you follow the link in the article to Mundo Deportivo, the page no longer exists, which tells me it was just a rumor. If it were fact, the British media would have no qualms about publishing it, trust me, I lived there, it would be all over the place if true.

Very probably right. Hard sometimes to decipher what is rumor and what is fact with their media.