The European Super League Thread

He is out of touch with fans and supporters. Old man needs to be put into Assisted Living and get some meds. He rambled about young people bored because games too long and they only want to see games unless it is top clubs. What an ego. I mean whoever complained about games too long? 90 minutes has always been. No one in their right mind ever said games should be shortened.

I guess Florentine would never be a fan of March Madness one of the great sporting events out there.

I think he has drifted into his Pink Floyd moment...Comfortably Numb:

Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down.....

He is out of touch with fans and supporters. Old man needs to be put into Assisted Living and get some meds. He rambled about young people bored because games too long and they only want to see games unless it is top clubs. What an ego. I mean whoever complained about games too long? 90 minutes has always been. No one in their right mind ever said games should be shortened.

I guess Florentine would never be a fan of March Madness one of the great sporting events out there.

I think he has drifted into his Pink Floyd moment...Comfortably Numb:

Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down.....

Actually, I think he's on the right track there. Mark Cuban has been talking about similar things in regards to the youngest generation and how they consume information and sports. It's all highlights and tiktok clips now. None of them watch the full game anymore.

Does that mean shortening the game itself? No I don't think so. It means providing alternative viewing options to reach a broader audience...specifically the youngest generation.

Actually, I think he's on the right track there. Mark Cuban has been talking about similar things in regards to the youngest generation and how they consume information and sports. It's all highlights and tiktok clips now. None of them watch the full game anymore.

Does that mean shortening the game itself? No I don't think so. It means providing alternative viewing options to reach a broader audience...specifically the youngest generation.
What would that viewing option be? Basically highlights, which is already done.

I think it's asinine to try to change a game just because a certain portion of so called fans have the attention span of a goldfish.

Perez is grasping at straws to try and justify his money grab. He knows everything everyone against it says is true, he and others, mainly Agnelli, don't care. Look into how Perez does business, not Real Madrid, but his own Engineering/Construction company. Bribes, kickbacks, collusion, etc etc (Same with Agnelli in Italy) are his usual tools. He's used to getting his way, and now that he can't he's pitching a fit.

What would that viewing option be? Basically highlights, which is already done.

I think it's asinine to try to change a game just because a certain portion of so called fans have the attention span of a goldfish.

Perez is grasping at straws to try and justify his money grab. He knows everything everyone against it says is true, he and others, mainly Agnelli, don't care. Look into how Perez does business, not Real Madrid, but his own Engineering/Construction company. Bribes, kickbacks, collusion, etc etc (Same with Agnelli in Italy) are his usual tools. He's used to getting his way, and now that he can't he's pitching a fit.

You don't change the game, but you adjust the broadcast to fit different platforms. Basically, I think he's talking about expanding viewing options.

If, for example, West Ham were to do something like a dedicated TikTok channel for their games, you'd have a series of short clip highlights in real time interspersed with interview clips and all sorts of other commentary. Maybe clips from training or strategic breakdown. It's just rolling clips on clips, and its how a ton of GenZ consume media today. If you want to reach out to and remain relevant to different generations, you need to tailor your product to how they want to consume it.

That doesn't mean changing the standard broadcast and alienating your regular fans. It just means providing different options...and you can make it private and charge subscription fees for it. That's the bottom line I think he's angling towards.

You don't change the game, but you adjust the broadcast to fit different platforms. Basically, I think he's talking about expanding viewing options.

If, for example, West Ham were to do something like a dedicated TikTok channel for their games, you'd have a series of short clip highlights in real time interspersed with interview clips and all sorts of other commentary. Maybe clips from training or strategic breakdown. It's just rolling clips on clips, and its how a ton of GenZ consume media today. If you want to reach out to and remain relevant to different generations, you need to tailor your product to how they want to consume it.

That doesn't mean changing the standard broadcast and alienating your regular fans. It just means providing different options...and you can make it private and charge subscription fees for it. That's the bottom line I think he's angling towards.
That's not what he said, nor is trying to form a breakaway league just expanding viewer options. He's spent so much at Real Madrid that basically they're skint and in huge debt, same with Barca, and he's trying to get a quick way to pay that debt off, ignoring the fact that most of the problems he moans about were caused by him and others like him.

That said, IMO this could all be resolved easily by revamping the UCL, not by expansion, but making it smaller. There are too many teams in it now, I say go back to it's original format of Champions only or champions and runners up only (add Europa winners is fine). Teams like Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, etc shouldn't be rewarded with a berth just because they finished 4th in a league, typically way behind the leaders on points (same with the other leagues).

That's not what he said, nor is trying to form a breakaway league just expanding viewer options. He's spent so much at Real Madrid that basically they're skint and in huge debt, same with Barca, and he's trying to get a quick way to pay that debt off, ignoring the fact that most of the problems he moans about were caused by him and others like him.

That said, IMO this could all be resolved easily by revamping the UCL, not by expansion, but making it smaller. There are too many teams in it now, I say go back to it's original format of Champions only or champions and runners up only (add Europa winners is fine). Teams like Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, etc shouldn't be rewarded with a berth just because they finished 4th in a league, typically way behind the leaders on points (same with the other leagues).
They are expanding to 36. Looks like 2 groups of 18. Seems like some play in games from Group stage to get to knock out rounds. Did not listen to the whole thing. Group Stage would then have some big matchups (to satisfy the tiktok crowd). Highlight show for them is a good idea but they will never be loyal ticket holders and pay at the gate and buy beer and food since 90 minutes would bore them.

If TikTok crowd can't handle 90 minutes of soccer, I guess we can say baseball completely dead sport for them where there are 162 games where 70 losses is a great thing and where a star player gets seen once an hour to bat. 1/5th of your life you see a loss and that is a good thing. lol.

They are expanding to 36. Looks like 2 groups of 18. Seems like some play in games from Group stage to get to knock out rounds. Did not listen to the whole thing. Group Stage would then have some big matchups (to satisfy the tiktok crowd). Highlight show for them is a good idea but they will never be loyal ticket holders and pay at the gate and buy beer and food since 90 minutes would bore them.

If TikTok crowd can't handle 90 minutes of soccer, I guess we can say baseball completely dead sport for them where there are 162 games where 70 losses is a great thing and where a star player gets seen once an hour to bat. 1/5th of your life you see a loss and that is a good thing. lol.

The audience for baseball definitely supports this claim.

As i mentioned earlier on this thread, I don't think the idea of Super League is dead. Not by a long shot. The prospect may not come up again for a few years, but i would not be surprised at all if SL2 in some form is reintroduced.

The biggest lessons learned by those involved are that they had better do a good job marketing the idea to the fans before springing an announcement on people and they damned sure better have all the key members locked in agreement prior to that.

Time to necro this thread.

A22, the firm proposing this idea, is fully backed by Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus. Should tell you all you need to know.

My take is bottom line: the spanish and italian giants are losing the financial and influential race against the EPL and their owners are concerned that EPL has become (or will in the future become) the defacto "Super League". They cannot live with the thought of not being the giants they always have been.

Time to necro this thread.

A22, the firm proposing this idea, is fully backed by Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus. Should tell you all you need to know.

My take is bottom line: the spanish and italian giants are losing the financial and influential race against the EPL and their owners are concerned that EPL has become (or will in the future become) the defacto "Super League". They cannot live with the thought of not being the giants they always have been.
They should look at fixing their own leagues. Look at how th PL did it through marketing, TV deals etc etc, then do that.
Not sure about Serie A but La Liga's TV deals are horrible in the sense that the revenue isn't evenly distributed like in the PL, Barca and Real Madrid take the lion's share...and they're still skint. All the problems that those three teams are facing are 100% of their own making, so fuck em.

VAR abominable this weekend.

I knew I didn't like Kroos when he left Bayern for the Death Star, but I hate him even more now coming out today supporting Super League. Especially this quote:

"Because in the end, let's not fool ourselves, many people always say: 'Who wants to see Real Madrid against Manchester City every week?' But have you gotten tired of watching Federer against Nadal over and over again? I don't. That's my opinion.

I'd rather watch FC Sheriff get a shot and beat Real Madrid in the UCL last year. I'd rather watch Leicester City win the EPL, Napoli win Serie A this year, Lille win Ligue 1 last year, and maybe just maybe Union Berlin win Bundesliga this year.