Things We're Cooking

WTF is Chuck Eye? We bought that at the store and having that Tuesday or Wednesday......she said she wants to do it during MNF but I don't know about red meat back to back days.

WTF is Chuck Eye? We bought that at the store and having that Tuesday or Wednesday......she said she wants to do it during MNF but I don't know about red meat back to back days.
Roast

Also known as the "poor man's rib-eye," the chuck eye steak comes from the upper shoulder of the cow, the region butchers refer to as the chuck primal. Known for flavorful roasts, chuck cuts generally benefit from low-and-slow cooking methods.

Going to put an 8 pound Boston Butt on the smoker for an overnight cook (12-16 hours at 225) this evening around 10pm. It's a Masterbuilt electric smoker so it should hold temps, especially with decent weather, and will use the A-maze-n pellet maze with their pitmaster blend that should provide a consistent source of smoke. Plan to add a 50/50 mixture of water and apple cider vinegar to the water pan that should provide some moisture, but still allow a nice bark to form.

Put together my rub just now and will add it to the meat after a thin layer of yellow mustard about an hour before putting it in the smoker while it gets to temp.

I fill a 16oz mason jar half full with dark brown sugar, then the remaining is filled with:
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Cumin
Ground Cayenne pepper
Pepper flakes
Smoked paprika
Ground mustard

Those seasonings can be adjusted to your own tastes, but the kosher salt is the next highest volume after the sugar. Sorry, no actual measurements since I just eyeball it initially and add more of something after tasting if needed.

I plan to collect the drippings from the pork and make a sauce with more rub and vinegar on the stove to pour over the pull after it cools.

I'll update with pics of the meat before and after the cook.

20201106_164422.jpg

Decided to put it in an hour earlier.... didn't want my alcohol consumption tonight to affect my bbq consumption tomorrow (alcohol consumption will resume both tonight and tomorrow anyway).

20201106_191730.jpg20201106_191947.jpg

That looks awesome.

Pretty easy to make and there are several recipes online.

Checked my smoker just now and it's still holding steady at 225 and some nice smoke coming out of the vent still. The meat is right at 158 so it's in the stall period. May have been there for hours already or has hours still to go before rising to 200+, which will still be around game time.

20201107_074457.jpg

20201107_155614.jpg20201107_160920.jpg

After opening the smoker, it appears the A-maze-n rack didn't actually burn much, even though it was smoking when I put the meat on last night and there was some coming out of the vent when I checked it this morning. Never opened the smoker until the probe read 200, but there was only about an inch of pellets burned, so little actual smoke made it into the meat.

However, it does taste pretty good, so not a loss, but I'm a little disappointed. First time I tried an overnight cook and while the smoker itself did fine, the pellets did something funky to show smoke at the beginning and then 10 hours later, but no smoke otherwise.

Oh well, the drippings, apple cider vinegar, and rub sauce is a nice complement and it's still tasty.

Finally, it's soup and chili season! Kicked it off with Chicken gnocchi soup. Turned out pretty good!

20201112_173620.jpg