Things We're Cooking

Pork is out. Used a mix of cherry, maple, and hickory for the smoke.

Burgers, chicken breasts, and Mac in cheese into the smoker now using pecan wood.

20210327_133654.jpg20210327_134610.jpg

And here..... we..... go:

20210327_144512.jpg

P9t1ArZ.jpg

Lemon Garlic wings

Had some fried oatmeal this AM. Leftovers from what was made yesterday.

Fry it up in butter till is gets crunchy outsides, brown sugar and a dribble of milk in the bowl .

Delish.

Local Kroger just started carrying brisket and picked up a 13.5 pounder along with a 9 pound pork shoulder.

20210521_191533.jpg

The in- laws loved my pulled pork from several weeks ago and requested that I make more for our family trip to Pigeon Forge in July. I may throw this shoulder in the freezer until then and smoke the day before leaving, but then again, that's a long time from now and shoulder is around a $1/ pound currently.

I do plan to smoke my first brisket this size in the middle of this week as an end of the school year celebration and take some leftovers to the in-laws for Memorial Day weekend. Hopefully it'll turn out well and I'll make another for the July trip.

I'll try to remember to update when I try to smoke this brisket soon. I also have to bottle some homebrew IPA, which means I'll be drinking some other form of alcohol, so we'll see how my memory goes then.

Didn't get a chance to smoke the brisket before Memorial Day, but plan to put it on the smoker tonight.

Just got finished trimming off around 2 pounds of fat, injecting, and adding my rub. It's going to sit wrapped in the fridge tonight.

Likely will put it on at 250 overnight and wrap it in the morning. Plan to take it off at 200-205 some point tomorrow to let rest for an hour, then separate the flat and point for slicing and burnt ends.

20210617_133315.jpg20210617_134742.jpg20210617_134813.jpg20210617_135623.jpg

Came out tasting really good for my first attempt. Definitely could start it on the mornings for a dinner get together though, as I put it on at 9pm and when I checked it this morning at 6:30, it was already 185. Didn't get a chance to wrap it through the stall and add more moisture, so the flat is a little dryer on the end, but the other 2/3rds are really good.

Making a sauce now for the burnt ends or for anyone that's wants it.

20210618_084957.jpg20210618_094415.jpg20210618_094419.jpg

Came out tasting really good for my first attempt. Definitely could start it on the mornings for a dinner get together though, as I put it on at 9pm and when I checked it this morning at 6:30, it was already 185. Didn't get a chance to wrap it through the stall and add more moisture, so the flat is a little dryer on the end, but the other 2/3rds are really good.

Making a sauce now for the burnt ends or for anyone that's wants it.

View attachment 33374View attachment 33375View attachment 33376
I have a brisket in the freezer. Need to buy a smoker, and try to make one for the first time, myself

That's the best part. and if you have burnt ends, you're doing it right.

Sid Belly Rub GIF by Futuroscope

My wife loves brisket as her BBQ of choice but had been disappointed the last couple times we got it t the local joint that has won numerous competitions for ribs amongst others. She kept coming through the kitchen this morning grabbing a piece and have me the "I'll pay you tonight" look, so I'll call it a success.

I have a brisket in the freezer. Need to buy a smoker, and try to make one for the first time, myself

Prep time was more than pork shoulder/ribs, but not bad at all. Took me right around an hour per pound (11+ hours), cooking at 250 without wrapping. I'll plan to start the next one in the morning and wrap with some more of the injection once it reaches stall temp. That should keep it a little more moist and cut down on the cooking time.

Reactions: Me
Burger stuffed with goat cheese and topped with fig butter and baconPXL_20210619_230141032~2.jpg