Things We're Cooking

Blackbird Jambalaya....

222990784_4225125830914278_8106017805585476304_n.jpg

Looks good... I'm smoking one tomorrow!!!
I don't have a smoker so I was a bit apprehensive, but I did it in the oven, uncovered at 250º for about 8 hours, I think. Sucked waiting when it made the whole house smell good and I just wanted to try a little piece!

Good for you.... I hope it is moist & tender. Did it have a bone? If so the tale-tale sign of a tender butt is how easy the bone slides out. No pun intended. LOL

Good for you.... I hope it is moist & tender. Did it have a bone? If so the tale-tale sign of a tender butt is how easy the bone slides out. No pun intended. LOL
Yeah, I used a shoulder? I think it was labeled "picnic shoulder" or something. Had a fat cap and a bone in the middle. The other cut was better marbled (butt?) with chunks of fat in the roast itself. But that one was about $3 more per pound so I got the cheaper one, just in case I screwed it up :laugh: For all but the last hour, I was concerned because it didn't look like it was getting tender enough. But then, all of a sudden, i checked in on it and it was all pulling away from the bone. Internal temp was 205 at that point.

200 is what your looking for.... Let that meat rest for 30-45 minutes & then eat it up!!

Nashville hot pork tenderloin on Texas toast
PXL_20210822_225346191.MP~3.jpg

Gonna try doing a prime rib for Christmas- anyone have a solid seasoning recipe and/or best method for cooking? Kinda don’t want to screw it up.

Gonna try doing a prime rib for Christmas- anyone have a solid seasoning recipe and/or best method for cooking? Kinda don’t want to screw it up.
Season with whatever ya want. 500 degrees, 5 to 6 minutes per pound. Turn off oven. Do not open for 2 hours. Done. Ready to serve. No need to rest.

Season with whatever ya want. 500 degrees, 5 to 6 minutes per pound. Turn off oven. Do not open for 2 hours. Done. Ready to serve. No need to rest.
Whooooweee! That kind of danger gives me a ladyboner! Sounds risky AF!

They have some pre-seasoned ones at Costco but it looks kind of assy. I think I’m gonna do salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary & thyme.

Fuck. Am I really gonna cook it like that?! :shocked:

Yeah, you don't want to screw that up. I've done it a few different ways, but I've settled on Thomas Keller's recipe from Ad Hoc. That's what I'm doing for xmas eve this year.

The cool part is, you start with a blowtorch!

dd89ee38208bc8f40dbdb8b055f047b6dfb519c1.jpg

Whooooweee! That kind of danger gives me a ladyboner! Sounds risky AF!

They have some pre-seasoned ones at Costco but it looks kind of assy. I think I’m gonna do salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary & thyme.

Fuck. Am I really gonna cook it like that?! :shocked:
It's kinda foolproof.

Use a meat thermometer regardless, but I cook it this way every year.

Google it. Lotsa recipes done that way. I slather my in room temp butter and herbs and spices.

I've heard about these types of recipes before and I know people who swear by them. I've heard about doing turkeys like this as well.

I just feel like with all the differences from oven to oven, I'm nervous to try this method, particularly with such expensive pieces of meat and/or crowds depending on you for dinner.

I'm a thermometer guy.

It's kinda foolproof.

Use a meat thermometer regardless, but I cook it this way every year.

Google it. Lotsa recipes done that way. I slather my in room temp butter and herbs and spices.
Ah. Obviously, even though it hadn't dawned on me. That makes sense. I could see giving that a try.

The blow torch method with the low temp oven gives you that sous vide effect, where the outside of the meat is seared and then the inside is evenly cooked nearly edge to edge.

Frankly, I don't even like prime rib roast that much. I love ribeyes, but I want there to be some sear on that fat.

Yeah, you don't want to screw that up. I've done it a few different ways, but I've settled on Thomas Keller's recipe from Ad Hoc. That's what I'm doing for xmas eve this year.

The cool part is, you start with a blowtorch!

dd89ee38208bc8f40dbdb8b055f047b6dfb519c1.jpg

surprise wtf GIF

So I’d have a real, live blowtorch in my possession?

I dunno, milkshake…this is also very exciting. Less scary than the raw meat at 8pm scenario, more exciting in a “what the fuck did you say about my hair last spring, you little bitch?” with a drink sloshing in my hand type of way :evil: