Things We're Cooking

Really loving this Zgrills pellet smoker. While I'm going to try my first overnight cook this evening with a 8.5 lb butt, I also grabbed a manager's special t-bone for tonight's dinner while the wife and kids are away for the weekend.

Did a reverse sear with about an hour at 180 until it got to 115 and then cranked the grill up to 450 for 3 minutes on each side until 135 before letting it rest for a perfect medium.

20230106_191320.jpg

Going to take the shoulder out of the fridge in about an hour to get to room temp before I throw it on around 10pm at 180 for overnight smoke with apple, pecan, and hickory.

Check back in tomorrow for updates.....

About a 12 hour rest with the rub prior to laying it on the smoker at 180 around 9:30 pm

20230106_211103.jpg
Checked the hopper around 3 am (fine) and set the temp to 225 around 7:30 am with the internal temp at 155.

20230107_075423.jpg

Pushed through the stall instead of wrapping and pulled it off at 3:00 pm at 200 degrees.

20230107_154548.jpg
Rested for about 45 minutes before pulling and dusting with some left over rub. Added a little homemade apple cider vinegar based sauce and it's very tasty!

20230107_155322.jpg

Finally brought the flat top grill and pellet smoker up to the side deck after having the decks redone with trex.

Wife wanted some hibachi, so it became the first cook on the flat top in a year or so.

20230226_171738.jpg

Did you say that you use it all thru the winter, or you cover it up and store it.

I've kept it in my shed and would bring it out to cook on the patios. Now that we finished the decks and added a staircase to the back yard, we decided to bring the grills up there since that deck is right beside the kitchen with a side door giving easy access.

I have a cover for it, but it has yet to be subjected to the elements, but will from now on. I'll report back if I see any issues pop up.

My flat top grill is under cover and out of the elements but is still subject to getting a bit of rust but it's because I didn't wipe it down with cooking oil after my last use.

I have a cover for it but I'm afraid to use it on the idea that it will trap moister and rust that much more.

Squash, zucchini and onion
Red, yellow and orange bell peppers
Chicken breast with Dolly Parton Stampede rub

Added some cheddar mashed potatoes to round it out.

20230302_162059.jpg20230302_173847.jpg

Chicken breast with Dolly Parton Stampede rub

Oh, I'm up for this

Seth Meyers Dancing GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Country Music GIF by CMA Awards
Dolly Parton Pointing GIF

Lol, the wife and son love that dinner and she made sure we brought back two jars of the rub to use for chicken. I even used it a couple weeks ago when I smoked a turkey breast. Not overpowering and complements the meat well.

My flat top grill is under cover and out of the elements but is still subject to getting a bit of rust but it's because I didn't wipe it down with cooking oil after my last use.

I have a cover for it but I'm afraid to use it on the idea that it will trap moister and rust that much more.
It doesn’t. I have a Blackstone and I store it outside (under a covered area of my patio). I keep a hard cover on it with a soft cover over the top. No rust at all. Be sure to clean and oil the surface after each use.

Got some sirloins in the sous vide at 129. Will sear on the cast iron when it's time to eat.

I've kept it in my shed and would bring it out to cook on the patios. Now that we finished the decks and added a staircase to the back yard, we decided to bring the grills up there since that deck is right beside the kitchen with a side door giving easy access.

I have a cover for it, but it has yet to be subjected to the elements, but will from now on. I'll report back if I see any issues pop up.
Make sure heat is off when covering. My dumb ass melted our first cover.

I wouldn't ever bother with just the flat, but I'd join you eating it.

Normally I'd agree, but these were marked down 50% and only take about 5 hours which is great for a weekend dinner for 3 of us (daughter doesn't eat it) with stuff to do in the morning.

Make sure heat is off when covering. My dumb ass melted our first cover.

No worries, I leave everything off until completely cool. My flat top also has the sides fold over and lock as a hard cover.

Got some sirloins in the sous vide at 129. Will sear on the cast iron when it's time to eat.
I’m thinking about doing a corned beef in the sous vide but I just have to find the right recipe for the spices. First one I clicked had cinnamon and it gave me the icks. Gotta do more research to see if that’s normal.