tOfficial 21-22 NHL Season thread

Well said. Year after year the guy that disappeared in the playoffs was Backstrom and everyone else. OV’s playoff numbers are really good and thankfully Holtby got his shit together for a change that year.

Goaltending (even more so in the playoffs) can make such a huge difference in the team results. For instance, if you look at the aforementioned Dave Tippett's 8 seasons in Arizona his 3 playoff teams rank 1-2-3 in save percentage and averaged a .923 while the 5 teams that missed averaged .911. That difference is probably in the ballpark of 25 goals a season. .911 is certainly not a bad SV% but I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that they stopped winning when they stopped getting Vezina-vote quality work from the spot.

Goaltending (even more so in the playoffs) can make such a huge difference in the team results. For instance, if you look at the aforementioned Dave Tippett's 8 seasons in Arizona his 3 playoff teams rank 1-2-3 in save percentage and averaged a .923 while the 5 teams that missed averaged .911. That difference is probably in the ballpark of 25 goals a season. .911 is certainly not a bad SV% but I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that they stopped winning when they stopped getting Vezina-vote quality work from the spot.
Goaltending is absolutely a key, but it's not the whole story either. Keeping pucks out of your own net isn't solely on the goalie; you also need competent defensemen clearing guys out around the net... stick-checking... sticks in lanes... blocking shots... and moving pucks out of your own zone. Forwards too... sticks in lanes... blocking shots... backchecking... ...all contributing factors to a goalie's productivity. ... good, sound defense.

A hot goalie is absolutely a difference-maker, but he won't be a difference maker if he doesn't have adequate help in front of him - just like a hot QB is absolutely a difference maker, but he won't be a difference maker if he doesn't have adequate help in front of him (like we just saw in the Super Bowl).

Goaltending is absolutely a key, but it's not the whole story either. Keeping pucks out of your own net isn't solely on the goalie; you also need competent defensemen clearing guys out around the net... stick-checking... sticks in lanes... blocking shots... and moving pucks out of your own zone. Forwards too... sticks in lanes... blocking shots... backchecking... ...all contributing factors to a goalie's productivity. ... good, sound defense.

A hot goalie is absolutely a difference-maker, but he won't be a difference maker if he doesn't have adequate help in front of him - just like a hot QB is absolutely a difference maker, but he won't be a difference maker if he doesn't have adequate help in front of him (like we just saw in the Super Bowl).

I played high-level hockey until I was 23, all the way through 4 seasons in college, I don't know if you remember that. But here's another thought related to defense... if so many little details from everyone on the roster go into playing good team defense how can one even be sure that they haven't missed something important if they are basing their analysis largely on observation (especially since if it is on TV a lot of little things happen off-camera)?

I would add too that your summary mostly covers what happens when the puck is already in your zone. D-men like Lidstrom and Niedermayer prevented shots and scoring opportunities largely through awareness and moving the puck quickly so that they didn't have to waste all of their time stuck in their own end trying to cross-check guys in front of the net. Watching a game casually that's not something that you would notice right away (and might not notice at all).

I know that preventing goals as a team is not entirely about the goalie. I also know that when the SV% difference is that significant and occurs over an extended period the play of the goaltending is almost certainly a big part of it. It's not a coincidence that the Jack Adams winner almost always gets a Vezina-level season from his goalie(s) (and often gets fired when the goalie doesn't repeat it).

I played high-level hockey until I was 23, all the way through 4 seasons in college, I don't know if you remember that. But here's another thought related to defense... if so many little details from everyone on the roster go into playing good team defense how can one even be sure that they haven't missed something important if they are basing their analysis largely on observation (especially since if it is on TV a lot of little things happen off-camera)?

I would add too that your summary mostly covers what happens when the puck is already in your zone. D-men like Lidstrom and Niedermayer prevented shots and scoring opportunities largely through awareness and moving the puck quickly so that they didn't have to waste all of their time stuck in their own end trying to cross-check guys in front of the net. Watching a game casually that's not something that you would notice right away (and might not notice at all).

I know that preventing goals as a team is not entirely about the goalie. I also know that when the SV% difference is that significant and occurs over an extended period the play of the goaltending is almost certainly a big part of it. It's not a coincidence that the Jack Adams winner almost always gets a Vezina-level season from his goalie(s) (and often gets fired when the goalie doesn't repeat it).
Just a note... I'm not really challenging you specifically with any of my responses; my intent here is primarily to inject different angles into the dialogue. I know you know hockey; but there are some folks reading this dialogue that are still in their hockey-formative years and it's healthy to breed an audience of new fans who understand and recognize some intricacies within the game and not just star-worshipers and puck-watchers. Thank you for engaging in respectful and intelligent dialogue. ...Sincerely. :beer2:

Just a note... I'm not really challenging you specifically with any of my responses; my intent here is primarily to inject different angles into the dialogue. I know you know hockey; but there are some folks reading this dialogue that are still in their hockey-formative years and it's healthy to breed an audience of new fans who understand and recognize some intricacies within the game and not just star-worshipers and puck-watchers. Thank you for engaging in respectful and intelligent dialogue. ...Sincerely.

Oh no I know you weren't "challenging" me and I didn't take it that way at all, I mentioned my background to kind of say "if you are somewhat hesitant to talk about this at a higher level just remember that it wouldn't be wasted and I can keep up" . And it definitely wasn't at all meant to suggest that my background should strengthen my argument :wink: . Take care :thumb:

On a side note what took Sid so long to reach 500?

Bashful GIF

Please Billy go get the Wild a goalie!

hockey all day today. schedule is nicely spaced out that in a few minutes the first game starts and there are games that go all the way into the night!

incredible goal by the Jackets to force OT

how great as yesterday's chicago vs Philly game? Two teams with no playoff chances in a heated close battle. A complete fun game to watch.

Not enjoying this season. Need to get it figured out and get fucking healthy.

horrible spin pass by Coyle

Good to see Jack get one. Go Knights Go!!

Good to see Jack get one. Go Knights Go!!
I am really starting to question if they will make playoffs this year.

Losing to Buffalo tonight didn't help, that's a game you gotta win. Krebs and Tuch (traded for Eichel) both scored tonight too. Eakin is also with Buffalo.. Gotta get it figured out. Buffalo was just relentless tonight and completely outworked them.

And wtf is with everyone constantly being injured this year. Is it just me? Feels like everyone is constantly injured.

I am really starting to question if they will make playoffs this year.

Losing to Buffalo tonight didn't help, that's a game you gotta win. Krebs and Tuch (traded for Eichel) both scored tonight too. Eakin is also with Buffalo.. Gotta get it figured out. Buffalo was just relentless tonight and completely outworked them.

And wtf is with everyone constantly being injured this year. Is it just me? Feels like everyone is constantly injured.
Injuries have been responsible for more issues than anything else.

Injuries have been responsible for more issues than anything else.
Fucking A man, feels like the wheels are falling off of this season. Jets just scored 2 goals in basically 2 minutes... gonna need to do a lot of shifting in the offseason no matter what and we need reliable not sporadic goaltending. This is starting to look like a mess. Still plenty of time, but they need to get it figured out soon.

Last edited:
Fucking A man, feels like the wheels are falling off of this season. Jets just scored 2 goals in basically 2 minutes... gonna need to do a lot of shifting in the offseason no matter what and we need reliable and sporadic goaltending. This is starting to look like a mess. Still plenty of time, but they need to get it figured out soon.
Injuries man, Injuries. It's been non stop, all season.

Injuries man, Injuries. It's been non stop, all season.
Get one back, two more go down. Get them back and the previous dude goes down again. Feels like Pacioretty and Stone have been out more than they've played. I love Marchessault and Karlsson, but they aren't the big bangers, they are solid 2nd line peeps.

Captain America Hang Head GIF

Just fire Brossoit.

I feel like complaining like a bitch lol.