tOfficial B1G Thread

High Quality Reaction GIF

Happened out of bounds and also ohio......so you know

Someone last year made a graphic, I'll have to find it. But actually Ohio State has received a disproportionate amount of targeting penalties compared to opponents in B1G play since the rule came into effect. So anyone claiming they "get away with it" is misguided

Someone last year made a graphic, I'll have to find it. But actually Ohio State has received a disproportionate amount of targeting penalties compared to opponents in B1G play since the rule came into effect. So anyone claiming they "get away with it" is misguided
You've also received a disproportionate number of 4th down wrong ball spots go your way.....

The targeting rule is stupid though, so inconsistently called. Its basically up to who the refs and replay official are on that given day.

There was a play in the Penn State/Indiana game where a Penn State DB launched and completely murdered a defenseless WR after the ball was clearly broken up. The announcers basically said "no harm no foul" because he "didnt hit him in the head" (he hit him in the upper chest area near the kneck) at minimum it should had been unnecessary roughness against a defenseless receiver, but nothing. It was definitely a bad malicious hit though.

If youre going to have it. Leading with helmet and or launching (especially on a defenseless player) should always qualify, if the true intent is to prevent malicious hits. Hitting them in the head shouldnt be the end all be all. Half the time the hit in the head is only due to the offensive player ducking into it at the last second.

sad tantrum GIF

Interesting Michigan state I just saw on Twitter:

Michigan gained 478 yards on just 56 offensive plays (8.5 per play). The Wolverines had never averaged better than 6.5 per play against a ranked opponent in the Harbaugh era.

Michigan gained 478 yards on just 56 offensive plays (8.5 per play). The Wolverines had never averaged better than 6.5 per play against a ranked opponent in the Harbaugh era.
When you only run 56 plays and you have runs of 70 and 66 -- it is going to skew the yards per play.
Minnesota is going to be able to score on people, but their defense looked ROUGH. Replacing talent that leaves to the NFL is much easier for teams like OSU, UM, Penn State, etc as they recruit much better.
I think Minnesota will win some games, but they will be shootouts.

Did not having spring ball effect Michigan State, yes. Implementing a new offense and coaches making assessment of players. But god damn, fumbles are on the players not the coaches. I’m thankful this shit is a short season.

The problem isn't the rule, it's knowing the rule and being consistent. I think the rule is specified pretty clearly but the poor refs either haven't been trained to know the rule or they are blind. One of the two. You think with this much time having the rule in effect they would get it right eventually. Some games they call them perfect, than others they completely overreact and are way off. No consistency, it's starting to feel like I have no idea what you will call targeting or not targeting at this point. Like some plays look exactly like other plays but are called differently...this isn't working out.

What could solve it? They just get rid of the ejection. They don't have an ejection in the NFL unless it is a brutal hit like we saw in the Cowboys-Redskins game...just do away with the ejection. Doesn't solve everything about knowing what the rule actually is but it helps from players sitting out a full game.

...and Minnesota has a very strong defense.

...and Minnesota has a very strong defense.
The Minnesota defense ranked 10th last year. I have no idea how many players they lost to graduation/draft but I don't think the Minnesota defense sucks. We've also played some pretty lowly "ranked" teams in the 5 years of Harbaugh prior that we haven't done this to.